> Starting a "Training/Boxing Tips" Forum, Given all the "pugs" on the board
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 6 2009, 07:22 PM
Post #31

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(Box in Hand @ Feb 6 2009, 01:13 PM) [snapback]424126[/snapback]
Ok, since weights are introduced here, I'll give my opinion. There is nothing wrong with weight training for fighters. The quickest human I have ever seen used weights at least 4 time a week (Bruce Lee). Check out his book, The Art of Expressing the Human Body. My suggestion is you have to run and you have to stretch or you will become stiff. I have sparred with a lot of guys who lift weights and they are the easiest people to beat. They aren't flexible and their arms get tired after 1 or two rounds. You should also add swimming if you're going to lift weights. Here's my regiment

1. Run, Mackie Shilstone has a great routine that simulates an actual fight, he has the fighters run once around the field then sprint as hard as they can. This helps because in fights you will speed up and slow down.
2. Shadow box, this is for speed, flexibility, and to work on your technique.
3. Bag work, the heavy bag helps with distance and power. Always use a boxing timer to simulate an actual round.
4. Speed bag, works reflexes and speed.
5. Resistance cords, also works speed.
6. Sparring, this is very important because this is where you test your mettle. This is where you learn if what you learned will work.
7. Yoga or Pilates, This may make some laugh but the more flexible fighter is usally the better fighter. Yoga and Pilates works.

Finally, have a good coach or partner to help you with your weaknesses that you can't see.

Speed bad works a lot more than just speed and reflexes..It builds up some of the most important muscles you can get for boxing(if done properly)..Sugar Ray Robinson and Louis(best guys to watch) and other guys now and in the past hit the speed bag the proper way..It builds up a muscle that attaches from the neck to the shoulder that is the most important muscle including the neck and legs for taking a punch..It isn't the trap either..I forget the name of it..

I'm with you on the yoga or pilates stuff even though I don't do it..Flexibility is important and will help keep you looser in the ring instead of stiff like Jeff Lacy..

Good work out plan Box in Hand..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 6 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #32

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 6 2009, 07:44 PM) [snapback]424186[/snapback]
Did you read stillperpetuallygrooving. He has had the most insightful post by anyone here, and uses weights. If you use weights like he has said, you shouldn't feel what you were feeling when you used weights.

He also thinks that he can pay his way through law school by being an amateur fighter...

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Feb 6 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #33

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 6 2009, 03:11 AM) [snapback]424061[/snapback]
It's actually natural to slow down when moving up.

Tell that to Manny Pac smart guy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) He looked as fast as ever against DLH.

QUOTE(3King3 @ Feb 6 2009, 05:10 AM) [snapback]424069[/snapback]
I cant do it cause they blocked it at work but if you go to youtube and type in The Sweet Science (an ESPN Special they had on Roy after the Ruiz fight) it will show clips of Jones working out with Mackie which he was also lifting weights. That son of a gun didn't look slow in the Ruiz fight to me.

Steroids work wonders my good man.

QUOTE(JonnyBlaze @ Feb 6 2009, 07:35 AM) [snapback]424088[/snapback]
I actually have the dvd of him training for his second fight with Tarver..Heart of the Champion I think it's called..

Well they fucked up with the naming of that one didn't they. Should be called "Heart of a flea chin of a flyweight"

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Feb 6 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #34

Chief Haterizer

To build stamina I get a firm grip of the bar & warm up nice & slow aiming to build rythym rather than pace. Once warmed up I increase the speed of my workout & vigirously work it changing up my workout by having short pulls with many reps & long pulls with less reps. I try to do this with both arms but my right sems to have more stamina. I finish my workout by towelling off & having a shower.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 6 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #35

The Prime Minista

QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 6 2009, 09:16 PM) [snapback]424208[/snapback]
To build stamina I get a firm grip of the bar & warm up nice & slow aiming to build rythym rather than pace. Once warmed up I increase the speed of my workout & vigirously work it changing up my workout by having short pulls with many reps & long pulls with less reps. I try to do this with both arms but my right sems to have more stamina. I finish my workout by towelling off & having a shower.

How many blokes do you run through in a typical workout?

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Feb 6 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #36

Chief Haterizer

QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 7 2009, 02:22 AM) [snapback]424212[/snapback]
How many blokes do you run through in a typical workout?

No this is a purely solo workout. Sometimes I work it in with doing snatches as well.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 6 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #37

The Prime Minista

I prefer snatches to a clean/jerk.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 6 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #38

The Savage

QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 6 2009, 08:54 PM) [snapback]424187[/snapback]
He also thinks that he can pay his way through law school by being an amateur fighter...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..When I just saw that I was about to post about it too..Ya got em Spyder..

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Feb 7 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #39

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

QUOTE(stillperpetuallygrooving @ Feb 6 2009, 05:34 PM) [snapback]424163[/snapback]
Supersets are also very good, this is where two workouts are performed consecutively in order to comlete one set, exmaple: do a set of pushups/chest exercise immediately followed with a set of pullups/back exercise,

I thought they were called 'splits' as they work TWO different major muscle groups? (The chest and back in your example).

My interpetation of 'super sets', are when you have two exercises that work the same muscle group. One based on heavier weight with less reps at a slow pace, then the follwing exercise has less weight with more reps at an explosive pace.

For instance, for Chest, you do Bench press with a heavyish weight (one that you can just about perform about 12 reps with), then straight away, you do 20 push ups at an explosive pace.

Rest for a minute then repeat 2 other times.

I do this type of workout a lot. It jacks your heart rate up and gives you a good mix of strength and muscular endurance.

ANother example would be Squats for 12 reps, then 20 burpees straight after.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 7 2009, 05:55 PM
Post #40

The Savage

QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Feb 6 2009, 10:16 PM) [snapback]424208[/snapback]

God damn!!!hahaha..That shit is too funny!!You got me crackin up over here..

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 07:23 AM