Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting a "Training/Boxing Tips" Forum, Given all the "pugs" on the board
MarzB
post Feb 11 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #41

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

Onto the "weight" points, I think weights are one of the WORSE things a boxer could use. Sure, Mosley and Holyfield uses them amongst other boxers but Shane I don't believe in his return tour to 147 has implemented them. I'm pretty certain he didn't use them in his last camp as his ability to throw combinations seemed to MAGICALLY come back.

I'm all for innovation in the training techniques and think weights do have "SOME" purpose but not HEAVY lifting that the average person that works out partakes in.

I believe if a boxer incorporates a weight training program, they should immediately box/hit the bag/shadow after lifting. It's my opinion that it's the elasticity of your muscles that generate speed and power not merely the "horse power" or "size" within it.

-- ------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 11 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #42

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(MarzB @ Feb 11 2009, 08:34 PM) [snapback]424749[/snapback]
Onto the "weight" points, I think weights are one of the WORSE things a boxer could use. Sure, Mosley and Holyfield uses them amongst other boxers but Shane I don't believe in his return tour to 147 has implemented them. I'm pretty certain he didn't use them in his last camp as his ability to throw combinations seemed to MAGICALLY come back.

I'm all for innovation in the training techniques and think weights do have "SOME" purpose but not HEAVY lifting that the average person that works out partakes in.

I believe if a boxer incorporates a weight training program, they should immediately box/hit the bag/shadow after lifting. It's my opinion that it's the elasticity of your muscles that generate speed and power not merely the "horse power" or "size" within it.

--------------

I'm with ya MarzB..

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 12 2009, 08:46 AM
Post #43

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 11 2009, 09:25 PM) [snapback]424775[/snapback]
Who said anything about them lifting heavy? Most fighters are supposed to lift light, but with high tempo to work there heart rate.

Also, you can add Hopkins to the list who lifts weights, and RJJ when he moved up.

Speaking of Hopkins lifting weights and moving up...has anyone else noticed that he seems to have regained his youth in doing that.

It's like Jermain Taylor showed us that Hopkins was an old fighter, then Hop moved up to Lt Heavy and all of a sudden he's fighting like he's in his 20's.

Growth hormone (GH) is a peptide hormone that stimulates growth and cell reproduction in humans and other animals. This hormone is used clinically to treat children's growth disorders and adult growth hormone deficiency. In recent years, replacement therapies with human growth hormones (HGH) have become popular in the battle against aging. Reported effects include decreased body fat, increased muscle mass, increased bone density, increased energy levels, improved skin tone and texture, and improved immune system function.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 13 2009, 02:43 PM
Post #44

The Savage

QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 12 2009, 09:46 AM) [snapback]424886[/snapback]
Speaking of Hopkins lifting weights and moving up...has anyone else noticed that he seems to have regained his youth in doing that.

It's like Jermain Taylor showed us that Hopkins was an old fighter, then Hop moved up to Lt Heavy and all of a sudden he's fighting like he's in his 20's.

In my opinion he was having a hard time making 160 even though he still could..The extra weight he had gave him more energy..Being able to eat more food has helped him a lot..This has happened to plenty of fighters..Corrales was way more of a beast at 135 than below it..

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 13 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #45

The Prime Minista

No way Jon...Chico was crazy good until the Floyd fight at 130.

Everything he did after that loss was just building his rep back up.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 13 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #46

The Savage

QUOTE(Spyder @ Feb 13 2009, 05:44 PM) [snapback]424997[/snapback]
No way Jon...Chico was crazy good until the Floyd fight at 130.

Everything he did after that loss was just building his rep back up.

I'm not sayin he wasn't good below 135 but right before he fought Floyd he said he'd never fight at 130 again but to fight Floyd convinced him to..I do think he was better at 135 than any other weight but he was still good at any weight..Guys who train to lose weight to fight are at a huge disadvantage against guys who train to box..Hatton could be better than he is but his training camp is focused on him losing weight and not skills..

Fighters have even said they have more energy and feel better in the ring when they add on weight..B-Hop seriously would look like shit in first half of fights and come on later..I really think the weight was an issue for him and he felt he had to pace himself a lot more..There is no doubt about it he could of continued to fight at 160 and make weight with ease but his body didn't like it as much as it does now..Ya know what I mean??

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 13 2009, 07:12 PM
Post #47

The Savage

Spyder,I missed the thing about growth hormones..Do you think B-Hop takes them??

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 13 2009, 10:48 PM
Post #48

The Prime Minista

I wouldn't be surprised at all. The man is 43.

Before working with Mackie...no way. But when I saw him weigh in for the Tarver fight, it raised my eyebrows...

+Quote Post
MarzB
post Feb 14 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #49

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

QUOTE(Fitz @ Feb 11 2009, 10:25 PM) [snapback]424775[/snapback]
Who said anything about them lifting heavy? Most fighters are supposed to lift light, but with high tempo to work there heart rate.

Also, you can add Hopkins to the list who lifts weights, and RJJ when he moved up.

It wasn't said but lets look at this from a realistic perspective. Most people who will try to incorporate this with a boxing program will tend to go the traditional route. I'm not talking about the HOPKINS of the world although I'm VERY curious exactly what it is he does. Floyd also has been seen with weights.

I personally believe one doesn't need them and can get EXACTLY if not better results with ployometrics exercises.

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Feb 15 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #50

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

Why do people bash weights?

As long as you're using low weights and developing fast twitch muscle fibres (the explosive type) that light weights will give you, why not use them?

If you're arm, for instance, gets used to throwing a punch with a 5kgs dumbell in your hand, and it gets used to having to exert a certain amount of power to reach your desired speed, then WITHOUT the dumbell, you'll punch quicker and harder.

Providing you don't go heavy with the weights (which was never mentioned when the whole weights thing came about), and develop slow twitch muscle fibres, you'll be fine.

Doing an intense weights session also keeps your body burning calories AFTER training too while the muscle repairs themselves, so they can aid in loosing weight too.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 05:12 PM