IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Are The Training Regiments For Boxing and MMA The Same and Different?
Jack 1000
post Feb 6 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I am interested in those who have trained both in MMA and boxing. Let me illustrate a hypothetical: One fighter is a UFC fighter who has a World Heavyweight Championship Fight upcoming (MMA Contests at the championship level are fought at 5 rounds at 5 minutes each.) That is 25 minutes of physical combat for the MMA fighter.) Boxers at the world championship level fight at 12 three minute rounds for 36 minutes.

What types of preparation do you go through for each sport? Are their training techniques that you should do in one sport that you should not do in another? In preparation, what was more enduring and stressful?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Feb 11 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,333

Poor Jack, no one is interested in your questions.

I'm a layman at this so I'll give you my opinion. I've watched videos on how MMA fighters train. for one thing, they lift weights because they need strength to hold their own in the grappling. Some of them spar boxing but not as often as a pro boxer so their muscles might not be as conditioned to punch for the full fight as opposed to boxers who throw between 50-60 punches, about half of them HARD shots designed to KO his opponent. I think weightlifting is also why these MMA guys tire so quickly. I'm not saying grappling and kicking isn't tiring, it is, but I remember Maurice Smith the kickboxing and former UFC champion saying kickboxing was more demanding because you were punching the whole time wheras in MMA there's a lot of waiting, posturing and grappling which gives you time to rest.

+Quote Post
thad99
post Nov 29 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #3

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,243

The training is different. For MMA you have to not only work out your upper body, but you also legs. You have to be able to use your legs in order to fight off your opponent, and for submission holds. You also have to have to work on kicks, not just punches.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 01:19 AM