IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ever been knocked down or hurt badly by a head/body shot?
BigG
post Feb 10 2009, 02:57 AM
Post #1

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

I was knocked down (gloves touched the canvas I think but a little off balance) in my first fight and hurt to the body a few times in sparring.

I don't know which is worse.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 10 2009, 03:12 AM
Post #2

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Feb 10 2009, 03:57 AM) [snapback]424551[/snapback]
I was knocked down (gloves touched the canvas I think but a little off balance) in my first fight and hurt to the body a few times in sparring.

I don't know which is worse.

I've never been hurt to the head or body..I've only been moved back against the ropes when I was DEAD tired and got hit with a 1-2..I literally was completely done I was so tired and had to stop after the round was over..This was very early on in my boxing days..I wasn't hurt at all,just tired..Through all the sparring,nothing has fazed me yet though..Smallest dude I've sparred was 175 and the biggest was 250..Wide range but very good to keep me honest..I've learned I can take a real good punch and have a warrior spirit(won't allow myself to be put down) but I do need to work on speed guys..The dude I sparred that was 175 was a 4 times GG champ and is the fastest guy I've ever seen at any gym I've ever been to at that weight or heavier..

Big G,being hurt to the body is worse in my opinion..All it means though is that you need to keep covered more..Anyone can be hurt to the body if hit on the right spot,like the liver..If M. Ward got you with that left hook to the body,you are goin down no matter how well you can take a body shot..I've broken a dude's ribs with one shot(and only shot I landed in the first 20 seconds of sparring) and put him down..If he didn't go down after having his ribs broken,he is a freak in my book(it's very possible,but crazy)..Having your glove touch normally is more of a balance shot,I wouldn't worry about that..

+Quote Post
BigG
post Feb 10 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #3

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

Yeah...actually in all my time boxing...almost all the knockdowns I've scored were body shots. Getting hit with a big shot that rocks you'll know you're rocked because of how dizzy you get and you feel the pressure of the hit..but body shot is a stinging pain that stays for a while so I think body shot might be worse.

Zab Judah claims the hardest he's ever been hit was by Micky Ward to the body

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Feb 10 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

Yeah, I've been dropped.

I lost a LOAD of weight too quickly for my last fight and was weak as fuck. I started off boxing smoothly, got hit with a straight right and hit the floor.

I was up quickly and recovered on my stool. I beat him in the 2nd round and gave him a standing 8 in the last round as the ropes kept him up as I smashed the shit out of him, lol.

Man, I was tired. I lost lke 5-6kgs in a couple of weeks and felt really weak. I found out after that the guy I fought had around 7-8 wins and won 6 of them (or something like that) by 1st/2nd round KO's.....my coach never told me....bastard (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post Feb 16 2009, 11:13 PM
Post #5

Welterweight

Member No.: 128

boxing - got hit in the back of the head once. went down on all fours. had a delayed reaction type of deal. equilibrium off big time, but knew where I was and what happened. was weird feeling.

took another one during an exchange once to the body that froze my a$$ in my tracks.

kickboxing/muay thai - haven't been dropped yet but I've taken some knees, elbows, back fists, leg kicks..etc.etc that have me sore for days man. brutal

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Feb 17 2009, 04:44 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

QUOTE(HaydelHammer @ Feb 16 2009, 11:13 PM) [snapback]425549[/snapback]
boxing - got hit in the back of the head once. went down on all fours. had a delayed reaction type of deal. equilibrium off big time, but knew where I was and what happened. was weird feeling.

took another one during an exchange once to the body that froze my a$$ in my tracks.

kickboxing/muay thai - haven't been dropped yet but I've taken some knees, elbows, back fists, leg kicks..etc.etc that have me sore for days man. brutal

Leg kicks are terrible.

Get hit with a good one of them and your leg seizes up. It's like you have a wooden leg like a pirate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post Feb 17 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #7

Welterweight

QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Feb 17 2009, 04:44 AM) [snapback]425571[/snapback]
Leg kicks are terrible.
Get hit with a good one of them and your leg seizes up. It's like you have a wooden leg like a pirate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

yep...this older guy in his 50's that has his own studio yet trains at my gym took me aside and showed me how he would "take me out" basically. It was cool since I'm there strictly to learn and just see where i'm at basically on a combat level....never plan to go pro or anything.

but this dude landed a leg kick to the out side of the lower part of my quad outside and above my knee that gave me wood leg like you said.

I tried to bail out and the next thing I knew he was behind me kneeing me in that same hamstring in the back of that leg. then he judo hip tossed my a$$ to the ground.LMAO

he's about 5"6 160-170 maybe 50+ with a gut, I'm 31 5'11 215-219 14-15% bf. and he rag dolled my a$$. LOL.

I was speechless (and in pain obviously) but I have so much respect for "the pro's" who box, k-1, mma..etc. They are on an entirely different level man. Insane.

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Feb 17 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

I hear what you're saying, dude.

I'm a fit guy, but I went to a BJJ class a few weeks ago and had a spar with some older dude. He must've been in his late 40's/early 50's and after a few minutes of grappling, man, I was fucked! He was still fresh as a daisy.

It was only through brute strength I managed to hold him off. I was a good few stone heavier than him but the dude was all over me.

I'm a striker....do boxing and Kickboxing, but I train in BJJ everynow and again to get my ass whooped! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post Feb 17 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Feb 17 2009, 01:02 PM) [snapback]425589[/snapback]
I hear what you're saying, dude.
I'm a fit guy, but I went to a BJJ class a few weeks ago and had a spar with some older dude. He must've been in his late 40's/early 50's and after a few minutes of grappling, man, I was fucked! He was still fresh as a daisy.
It was only through brute strength I managed to hold him off. I was a good few stone heavier than him but the dude was all over me.

I'm a striker....do boxing and Kickboxing, but I train in BJJ everynow and again to get my ass whooped! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

LOL...yep. I'm staying away from that grappling for now man. lol.

they offer grappling also at my gym. I talked with the guy that trains it and he told me to get more flexible and expect to get tired really fast in there b/c of my size and he'd expect me to try to use power..etc....entirely different ball game...man..lol

says the muscle guys always come in hard..he just relaxes then all of a sudden he's all over them man.

I dislike when guys watch mma matches and just say crazy stuff and never tried it like we have man....not only do you have to worry about punches...you add in leg kicks, variety of punches and kicks. you can't stay flat footed, one kick to the leg and your base is gone, have to worry about take downs, clinches, elbows...man

LOL....the one good thing the old guy told me ...he goes....."hey..... you have good reflexes I can tell" "you won't just say in one spot and allow me to continue to hit you like most...atleast you move around after your hit" LMAO

I told him man I'm not just gonna stand there and let you kick my a$$ even more. LOL you will have to chase me down for that. LMAO

if anybody hasn't tried this stuff......man ....just pay the $$$$ find a nice gym and try it once on your life....you'll see MMA totally different man. LOL just like boxing if you do that.

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post Feb 17 2009, 03:22 PM
Post #10

Welterweight

QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Feb 17 2009, 01:02 PM) [snapback]425589[/snapback]

man i'm still trying to get more flexible on my kicks. leg kicks flow pretty smoothly.

I can get a nice round kick to the body with my right leg....I'm right handed....I suck with my left with all my kicks man.

as far as anything high (shoulder and above) can't get up there just yet. LOL.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 06:05 AM