Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hearns V LaMotta, Who wins?
and the NEW
post Mar 1 2009, 06:27 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 333

Here is a good matchup that I can't remember being posed here.

Who wins this one? LaMotta was tough as nails (his fights with Robby prooved this) and others he was 'stopped' it's believed were an underworld matter, something like that 'phantom punch'.

LaMotta no doubt would try walk him down, aka, Hagler, and I think would get through some big, hard, short shots on Hearns.

Would Hearns slug or try to box and if he tried to box, would he be able to keep the distance? If LaMotta got in, would he stop Hearns or be able to do enough work to get a decision? If Hearns tried to slug with him like he did with Hagler, would LaMotta blow him out quick too or would Hearns still have enough to beat LaMotta?

I really can't pick this one, think it could go either way. A near 50/50.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Mar 1 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

I think it would be a fairly clear fight for LaMotta.

He had a excellent beard & is always underrated for his boxing skills & in particular his jab. About the only advantages Tommy would have are his speed & reach but I don't see him being able to use it for 15 rounds.

Prime vs Prime I think it would look somewhat similar the last 1/2 of Leonard vs Hearns 1.

I just think this is a extremely bad styles matchup for Tommy & he would get hurt. He could box & dance his way to a decision but Tommy ain't like that he goes to war & war against Jake spells brutal knockout.

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Mar 1 2009, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Yeh, I think I tend to agree Stevenski.

Hearns big problem, is he did not know when to grab and hold on, and this, inside with Jake, would not be a smart move. Jake showed what he could do to Robby on the ropes and I don't think Hearns has the whiskers to take the same kind of beating.

I think Hearns may start off well, outboxing LaMotta (if he chose to try stay outside), but as the rounds wore on, I think the pressure, and punching of LaMotta would be too much and he would stop Hearns (not really a fair matchup since Hearns prime was Welter, but still, a good one nonetheless).

+Quote Post
BigG
post Mar 1 2009, 05:40 PM
Post #4

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

I think Lamotta gets him late.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Mar 1 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #5

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

If Hearns boxed him,Hearns would win..If Hearns fought with him,LaMotta would win..Hearns is not Sugar Ray but he would have a huge height/reach advantage on LaMotta..Hearns has about 6 inches on Sugar Ray in terms of reach..Hearn's jab would be huge in this fight..If Hearns tried to fight with LaMotta,he'd definitely get broken down and probably taken outta there later in the fight..I think Hearns would be smart and box LaMotta though..

At first,I didn't like the match up,but the more I think about it the better it gets..

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Mar 1 2009, 10:17 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Yeh, he has a big reach compared to Robby.

But I don't think that's a factor, I think it's the fact that Hearns doesn't hold when his in trouble, that would bust him up. The jab alone wouldn't keep LaMotta off all night, so he would have to learn when to hold, when to move and when to fight. Robby is also a better inside fighter than Hearns I think, who needs a bit more distance to get his shots off.

I'm not sure even a boxing Hearns, wouldn't get bulled.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Mar 1 2009, 10:20 PM
Post #7

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE(and the NEW @ Mar 1 2009, 11:17 PM) [snapback]426729[/snapback]
Yeh, he has a big reach compared to Robby.

But I don't think that's a factor, I think it's the fact that Hearns doesn't hold when his in trouble, that would bust him up. The jab alone wouldn't keep LaMotta off all night, so he would have to learn when to hold, when to move and when to fight. Robby is also a better inside fighter than Hearns I think, who needs a bit more distance to get his shots off.

I'm not sure even a boxing Hearns, wouldn't get bulled.

When SRR massacred(the fight) LaMotta he threw 90 punches a round with 60 of them being jabs..Hearns may not be able to do that for a whole fight every round like SRR did but it does show how the jab is effective against LaMotta to some degree..

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Mar 1 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Definately effective, but is it enough against a raging bull like LaMotta? I'm not so sure.

Hearns would need the entire game plan, much as he would have to beat Hagler. It's where his generalship against that type of fighter is in real question. If he can't knock them out quickly, can he keep them off? He couldn't keep a 147lb Ray Leonard off, which really makes me wonder when it comes to a larger, natural pressure fighter......

This post has been edited by and the NEW: Mar 1 2009, 10:29 PM

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Mar 2 2009, 05:12 PM
Post #9

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

The more I think about it the more I start thinking of Tommy the newborn foal flailing about after getting cracked.

ATN was saying Tommy never held which is true & he always was lured into exchanging with his opponent. This & his lack of defense to teh body would be his undoing.

This would end badly for Tommy especially if he got brave & exchanged with Jake.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Mar 4 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #10

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Tommy TKO8... LaMotta, tough as nails, but would be out matched. Hearns would stick that jab in his face all night long. I see Tommy outboxing him over the course of 8 rounds and the fight being stopped by the ref, corner, doc, etc.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:26 AM