Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Home Training Bag Recommendations
dbdbdb
post Mar 4 2009, 07:38 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,102

I'm looking to get a Heavy Bag 70lb. and a Double-End Bag for home training. And would like to get some opinions from those who train at home, about the equiptment you use.

Opinions & Recommendations On - Pros & Cons:

- Bag Brand: TKO vs. Everlast vs. Century

- Material: Leather vs. Nevatear vs. Vinyl vs. Canvas

- Filling: Prefilled Material vs Water Filled Bag

- Bag gloves

Total Budget = Under $200 for everything {Heavy Bag & Double bag}

................... Thanks Guys
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Spyder
post Mar 4 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #2

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

I got an unfilled synthetic leather bag from Title...went to the car wash to get the rags to fill it...put a 25lbs sand filled carpet roll in the center to add more weight...now it weighs 110lbs.

It's a GREAT bag. No rips or tears. Heavy, and hard as fuck.....just the way I like it! (Sorry I just watched EAST BOUND and DOWN) lol

I had to anchor it down to the floor to stop it from swinging, but luckily the bag came equiped with an anchor ring already attached. I also have the heavy-grade bag spring hanging it up.

Everything totalled was about $60-70.

This post has been edited by Spyder: Mar 4 2009, 08:31 PM

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Mar 4 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #3

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

Find a woman (your wife maybe?) around 70lbs & beat on her. Saves money & will make sure you have a hearty meal after training.

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Mar 4 2009, 08:58 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Mar 4 2009, 08:34 PM) [snapback]427063[/snapback]
Find a woman (your wife maybe?) around 70lbs & beat on her. Saves money & will make sure you have a hearty meal after training.

I don't think the lady could take a beating per day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Plus, she's liable to bust me up while I'm sleeping.

Quick story: I had an aunt that was getting a beat-down from my uncle by marriage evey other week {Sorry-ass loser} And she got tired of that shit. So she got some bottles and broke them up into chunks and spread them all around the bed {So that when he got out of bed his feet would get sliced to shreds} And while he was sleeping {After another beat-down} she got a sledge-hammer and busted him in the head, he jumped up bleeding like crazy right onto the broken glass .... He screamed after getting sliced & diced by the glass and got hit in the back with another blow from the sledge-hammer ... he rolled over and got clocked one more time with the sledge in the shoulder.

End-result ... three cracked ribs, a broken arm, a concussion, lost almost a quart of blood.... But he survived because my other aunt stopped the slaughter just in time.

DON'T EVER BE THE TYPE OF SO-CALLED MAN THAT MY IDIOT UNCLE WAS ...... YOU MIGHT NOT LIVE TO TALK ABOT IT.

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Mar 4 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 4 2009, 08:26 PM) [snapback]427061[/snapback]
I got an unfilled synthetic leather bag from Title...went to the car wash to get the rags to fill it...put a 25lbs sand filled carpet roll in the center to add more weight...now it weighs 110lbs.

It's a GREAT bag. No rips or tears. Heavy, and hard as fuck.....just the way I like it! (Sorry I just watched EAST BOUND and DOWN) lol

I had to anchor it down to the floor to stop it from swinging, but luckily the bag came equiped with an anchor ring already attached. I also have the heavy-grade bag spring hanging it up.

Everything totalled was about $60-70.

That's what I'm thinking .... get an unfilled bag and fill it with a mixture of sand and cloth.

Thanks

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Mar 5 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #6

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

I have bought all my stuff from ringside for over 15 years. There stuff has always been quickly shipped and quality. I prefer water filled bags personally, that is almost exclusively what I hit at home as far as heavybags. There is no way I could go back to hitting the other type of bags, but that is just me. I do know the water bags are probably more expensive than a cheaper regular filled economy type heavy-bag.

Make sure you buy hand wraps, and dont but those tiny cheap ass bag gloves with very little protection. Get a semi decent padded gloves. Ringside has there lower brand called contender that usually has some good deals.

Good luck with your purchase.

This post has been edited by Lil-lightsout: Mar 5 2009, 01:04 AM

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Mar 5 2009, 01:10 AM
Post #7

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

I'd suggest you get a bigger bag than 70 lbs..100 is good..

How much do you weigh??If you're a smaller guy,70 would be ok for you but 70's are too light for me..

I'd suggest either a Title or everlast bag..Prefilled bag,leather..

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Mar 5 2009, 03:35 AM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,304

I have NEVER liked hitting a really huge heavy bag.....it's boring as fuck and it just feels like shit on your hands.

The only thing worse to me is any bag with water....that shit feels like your hitting an elephant's ball sack!

I've always liked a much lighter bag......a 25-50lb or so....then you can hit it and with your suspention cord connected you actually get a really nice movement from the bag that can really get you in a nice groove...but it's a lot heavier than a suspention bag...so you can really put a lot into it.

I eat through Leather Everlast....but they are very cheap to replace. But I was getting tired of replacing them so I tried a Canvas TKO bag, and have just ripped it here recently...but I've had it awhile. Nothing good old duct tape won't fix!

But like lightouts said....get you some good gloves and wraps....not those thin BS bag gloves. There is Nothing sweeter than Leather everlast bag gloves (the higher end pair) hitting Everlast leather bags....I love that pop.

BUT...most recently I tried a set of Neoprine gloves, that seem to be holding up pretty well...I think they were Century.

I buy all my crap at Academy, so you can find it all there.

Wraps-$6
Gloves-$20
Bag-$35-50

Try that shit out in the store man....grab one of the sets of gloves....crack it open and smack their displays....that is the best way to feel it out.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Mar 5 2009, 07:43 AM
Post #9

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

I second that ringside callout. They have a lot of quality stuff there at great price.

I have two pairs of gloves for bag work...16oz Title, and 20oz Amber...most of the time I use the 16's. The 20's are perfect for when my hands get sore, or if I feel like building some strength.

QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 5 2009, 03:35 AM) [snapback]427114[/snapback]
I have NEVER liked hitting a really huge heavy bag.....it's boring as fuck and it just feels like shit on your hands.

Sounds like someone punches like a girl...lol

And Fitz, 10oz gloves for the heavybag? Man, I'm surrounded by feather fisted ninnies...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Mar 5 2009, 10:17 AM
Post #10

Junior Welterweight

JonnyBlaze,

I went to using the lighter sand\cloth filled bags in the past because I was starting to have both wrist & elbow pain from a long workout on the heavy bags. Over this winter I've been doing alot of weight training because I just didn't have the time to travel to the gym to workout. With all the weights and strength cords traing I've added 10lbs of muscle and I'm at 207lbs. But I feel stiff as hell ..... So I decided to get a heavy bag & double\double for the home gym.

QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 5 2009, 01:03 AM) [snapback]427104[/snapback]
I have bought all my stuff from ringside for over 15 years. There stuff has always been quickly shipped and quality. I prefer water filled bags personally, that is almost exclusively what I hit at home as far as heavybags. There is no way I could go back to hitting the other type of bags, but that is just me. I do know the water bags are probably more expensive than a cheaper regular filled economy type heavy-bag.

Make sure you buy hand wraps, and dont but those tiny cheap ass bag gloves with very little protection. Get a semi decent padded gloves. Ringside has there lower brand called contender that usually has some good deals.

Good luck with your purchase.

A friend has a heavy water bag and I'm driving over to his house later today. But he has nothing but praise for the water bags {I think he has a Combat sports international}

I agree about the cheapo bag gloves. I think alot of people complain about their hands hurting while they're using those thin gloves. I never did like them.

Ringside has some Gel Shock Super Bag gloves 12oz. for $49, that I think I'm going to try.

QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Mar 5 2009, 03:35 AM) [snapback]427114[/snapback]

The only thing worse to me is any bag with water....that shit feels like your hitting an elephant's ball sack!

I've always liked a much lighter bag......a 25-50lb or so....then you can hit it and with your suspention cord connected you actually get a really nice movement from the bag that can really get you in a nice groove...but it's a lot heavier than a suspention bag...so you can really put a lot into it.

I eat through Leather Everlast....but they are very cheap to replace. But I was getting tired of replacing them so I tried a Canvas TKO bag, and have just ripped it here recently...but I've had it awhile. Nothing good old duct tape won't fix!

But like lightouts said....get you some good gloves and wraps....not those thin BS bag gloves. There is Nothing sweeter than Leather everlast bag gloves (the higher end pair) hitting Everlast leather bags....I love that pop.

BUT...most recently I tried a set of Neoprine gloves, that seem to be holding up pretty well...I think they were Century.

I buy all my crap at Academy, so you can find it all there.

Wraps-$6
Gloves-$20
Bag-$35-50

Try that shit out in the store man....grab one of the sets of gloves....crack it open and smack their displays....that is the best way to feel it out.

I always thought you get a better workout with the lighter bags, you just have alot of spinning if they're not tied down ...... If a heavy water bag would reduce the pain and still give me the resistance of hitting a 100+ lb person then I would gladly try it out.

Like I said I'm going to try out a water bag today and if I like how it feels, its a done deal. I've been looking at the either the Century Hydrocore XL 120lbs. or the Ringside water\foam 130lb.

I wouldn't use a 130lb. sand heavy bag, but if the water responds like many claim, then I'll go for the heavier one.

Thanks Guys

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:02 PM