> Hydrocore XL 120LB Review, One Hell of a Water-Filled Heavy-Bag
dbdbdb
post Mar 13 2009, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,102

What's up Guys,

This review is for those who have a negative view of water-filled heavy-bags.

I ordered the Hydrocore XL from a direct distributer and only paid $101 including shipping. I have to say that I am incredibly impressed with this bag, not only because it is very well made, but it is solid as a rock.

The exterior is a very tough {like a kevlar-like material} and from the www reports, it will last and can take a lot of punishment.

The inner-core is a plastic tube that holds 12+ gallons of water. I noticed that it can be over-filled with both water & sand due to the inner core design. Which is good if you want to boost the weight to 150LB.

It also, has a 3" thick foam liner that goes between the outer shell and the core bottle, adding to the feature of reducing injuries from impact stress.

Overall, I already love the bag ... I pounded on it for about twenty minutes and got a serious workout. So for those who think water bags are not up to par with sand-filled bags .... Think again and try this bag.

Advertisment - Specs - Price - Pictures:

Offering all the great benefits of the original Hydrocore the Hydrocore XL offers a bigger striking surface. A larger inner water core, and more weight. Made to be stronger and even more durable than the original Hydrocore, the XL is an excellent choice for power hitters and anyone else who is interested in a heaver bag with a more realistic and life like feel

•Four web straps support steel chains and a 2 inch ring for hanging
•Bottom loop for attaching a tie down strap. Tie down strap is not included
•120lbs. When filled
•14" diameter x 52" tall

$149.95 ea.

Bag On Ground
(IMG:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/lohman001/Bag1.jpg)

Bag Hanging
(IMG:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/lohman001/Bag2.jpg)

Water Core
(IMG:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/lohman001/Core_View.jpg)

Lids
(IMG:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/lohman001/Lids.jpg)

Mounting - This may change over time.
(IMG:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/lohman001/IMG_BagMount.jpg)

Bag Top View
(IMG:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/lohman001/TOP_View.jpg)

Happy Training

P.S. Excuse the mess in my basement ..... Its in transition to becoming my Gym (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

This post has been edited by dbdbdb: Mar 17 2009, 09:37 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Mar 16 2009, 01:41 PM
Post #2

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

I've used a few waterbags...but I've learned variety is the key. One of the best "bags" my old gym had was a 200lb water-core bag. Three/four of us could move around that bag at the same time.

I like those BOB bags too...

(IMG:http://www.karatesupply.com/assets/images/bob_punching_bag-lg.jpg)

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Mar 17 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

I always found the standing bags like the BOB too short. They are good for short people, but I'm 6'1" and haven't seen one that can extend to the height I like.

The Home Gym is coming together slowly but surely. I looking for a good speed-bag platform now -- hope to get one in a couple of weeks.

So far the new additions:
Century Hydrocore 120lb Heavy Bag
Rival Double-End bag
Everlast Slip Ball

The lady is thrilled I'm moving my bike-trainer out of the sun-room and into the basement. But, we're still fighting about the weights I still have in the bedroom and sun-room. Looking to have the Gym completed by June.

(IMG:http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/lohman001/IMG_Gym.jpg)

This post has been edited by dbdbdb: May 26 2009, 06:31 PM

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Mar 17 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 17 2009, 10:15 PM) [snapback]428611[/snapback]
That's a pretty nice setup. I have never used a slip ball before. Usually I just use the floor to ceiling as well to use to slip shots.

Thanks ...... Once I get my speed bag platform, I'll be on cloud nine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I was using a homemade slip bag before I got the everlast and I always use 5lb dumbells to go through my movements. The slip bag which weighs 6lbs force you to really move the upper body or you'll get smacked good.

I've never tried to use the double the same as a slip bag -- I mainly use it for bounce-back blocks as I'm whacking it.

Both are excellent tools.

This post has been edited by dbdbdb: Mar 17 2009, 09:30 PM

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Mar 18 2009, 06:17 AM
Post #5

The Prime Minista

You've inspired me to expand my own home gym!

I'll post some pics of what I have so far when I get around to actually taking them...as of right now, I have my heavy bag and a speed bag. It's on my back porch, so I also have my motorcycle and grill competing for space. But it's a good little spot to train in, and VERY convenient.

The only thing that we can't do at home is spar...so once I get my fitness up, I'm gonna work out a deal with one of the local gyms...like give me use of your ring, in exchange I'll give you free sparring for your pros. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aggressive.gif)

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Mar 20 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 18 2009, 07:17 AM) [snapback]428675[/snapback]
You've inspired me to expand my own home gym!

I'll post some pics of what I have so far when I get around to actually taking them...as of right now, I have my heavy bag and a speed bag. It's on my back porch, so I also have my motorcycle and grill competing for space. But it's a good little spot to train in, and VERY convenient.

The only thing that we can't do at home is spar...so once I get my fitness up, I'm gonna work out a deal with one of the local gyms...like give me use of your ring, in exchange I'll give you free sparring for your pros. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aggressive.gif)

That's a good idea - Alot of trainers would welcome the idea of free sparing for their up and coming guys. The main thing is to represent well when you get there, you DON'T want them saying "I thought you could fight" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Mar 23 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #7

The Prime Minista

QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Mar 20 2009, 02:09 PM) [snapback]428991[/snapback]
That's a good idea - Alot of trainers would welcome the idea of free sparing for their up and coming guys. The main thing is to represent well when you get there, you DON'T want them saying "I thought you could fight" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Well...I CAN fight...haha

I've been in and out of gyms for close to a decade...the key phrase in there is "in and OUT" lol...I've sparred with a lot of different skill levels. The last gym that I was at...for about 2 years straight...the owner used to charge me membership fees, but then I would spar with his pros on a consistent basis. When his guys had fights coming up, I was one of their main sparring partners. Me and another fighter got to talking, and we were like..."Why are we paying him money, so that his fighters' can punch us in the head?"

The next time our "dues" were due, we told the guy, "We got you, but you owe us some money for __ rounds sparred with ___"...after that we worked out a deal that we don't pay membership fees anymore, and in return we'll give his guys free sparring.

That deal worked out for everyone except for the gym itself...the owner stopped promoting shows and soon there after had to close the gym down.

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Mar 23 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE(Spyder @ Mar 23 2009, 02:16 PM) [snapback]429393[/snapback]
Well...I CAN fight...haha

I've been in and out of gyms for close to a decade...the key phrase in there is "in and OUT" lol...I've sparred with a lot of different skill levels. The last gym that I was at...for about 2 years straight...the owner used to charge me membership fees, but then I would spar with his pros on a consistent basis. When his guys had fights coming up, I was one of their main sparring partners. Me and another fighter got to talking, and we were like..."Why are we paying him money, so that his fighters' can punch us in the head?"

The next time our "dues" were due, we told the guy, "We got you, but you owe us some money for __ rounds sparred with ___"...after that we worked out a deal that we don't pay membership fees anymore, and in return we'll give his guys free sparring.

That deal worked out for everyone except for the gym itself...the owner stopped promoting shows and soon there after had to close the gym down.

That story is soo familiar -- I was fortunate to be born & raised in North Philly two blocks from Joe Fraziers Gym. I lived at 16th and Glenwood Ave. and Joe's gym was on Broad street. My uncle had a bar on 15th street and knew Joe Frazier well. I spent alot of time in that gym when I was young and as I got old enough spent alot of time at the Blue Horizon which wasn't too far down Broad street. I, like you was into boxing on and off most of my life. Just not as consistant as I would have liked -- my mom wasn't having it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) school was the priority.

We later moved to west philly, near 56th Kingsessing Ave. and at the recreation center around the corner they had a boxing ring ... So, I found another gym for the next couple years. But that became a problem because gangs like the Mongo nation and others setup shop at and around the center which ruined it for alot of kids.

Now as I understand it Joe's gym is having big time issues. It was supposed to be renovated and reopened but no one I talked to even believe it will ever reopen.

Sad ... its just very little support for Gyms today. Most are closing because they don't have the funding and boxing as a sport is much less popular ... which sucks.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Mar 23 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #9

The Prime Minista

Honestly, most boxing gyms are dojos. There's a lot more parents getting their kids into karate, as opposed to boxing.

The first gym I ever went to was a dojo. They offered a boxing class a few times a week, which I went to with my friends. It was a great place for beginners to learn about boxing, but I soon got bored of that and started doing my own thing. There was a mexican kid there that used to train with Roberto Duran. He was the best fighter in the gym until Daniel Edouard started training there. At that point, the three of us started training together. Danny had just got back from colorado springs, and he showed us the olympic team workout which was awesome! I still do a lot of the same exercises that we did back then...that's why I give Danny credit for teaching me how to box...and probably why I don't mind getting hit. lol

+Quote Post
Method
post May 1 2009, 01:59 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,253

You built a boxing gym on that basement set from Silence of the Lambs?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:26 PM