> mayweather to return july 11th?, Clarification: Old Thread From July 11, 2009
Big Slim Sweet
post Mar 24 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #131

Bourbon County Stout

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Mar 23 2009, 07:21 PM) [snapback]429422[/snapback]
God forbid anyone for calling out Hopkins for fighting De La Hoya and Trinidad.

Marv I don't think you were on this board back in 2003-5 but there were actually a lot of people who talked shit back then about Hopkins picking on smaller guys and never moving up in weight to take on bigger challenges. I'm sure that seems crazy given how pro-BHop the board is now but before he trounced Tarver he got a lot of shit here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Mar 24 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #132

Bourbon County Stout

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 24 2009, 12:07 AM) [snapback]429457[/snapback]
I agree that Mayweather needs to fight Shane, Cotto, Or Pacquiao...

But Fitz, stop acting like Floyd picked on a smaller guy moving up in Hatton. Floyd is ALSO a small welterweight clearly..who began at 130...and who comes into fights at 147-149 pounds....just like Manny Pacquiao and Joan Guzman. Floyd is NO bigger than Hatton. He only has a slight height advantage but they look the same size.....

For all of you people saying Floyd should fight Paul Williams instead of Pacquiao and Marquez...I got news for you.Williams is 6 foot fucking 3 or 4....skillwise, he is NOT Marquez and Pacquiao. Marquez and Pacquiao are CLOSER to Mayweather in size and skill and they are more interesting fights than the OVERRATED Williams. I got ALOT more intesrest in Cotto, Pacquiao, Mosley, Marquez fights and they would mean more to Mayweather's legacy...

BG it wasn't so much that Hatton was smaller than PBF it's that Shane started talking shit about Floyd too around that time and Floyd didn't even acknowledge. I think Floyd's dummy said something to the effect that Shane was nothing more than a sparring partner now. It was actually one of the very first interviews here on fighthype after the split with btalk I believe where Shane mocked Floyd's daddy issues. It was fairly serious trash talk. But then when Hatton says Floyd's fights aren't exciting while Max Kellerman chuckles the dummy says Floyd told him to "make the fucking fight." So in that regard, Floyd was picking on the smaller guy (between the two options).

Like Fitz was saying Floyd (or rather his walking, talking jackass of a dummy) doesn't get so lippy when the more serious challengers have something to say. That's what made the response to Marquez a bit of an issue for some of us I think ("careful what you wish for"). It was like deja vu all over again.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Mar 24 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #133

Bourbon County Stout

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 07:16 AM) [snapback]429483[/snapback]
By the way, I know it doesn't matter whether he fought Hatton at 140 or 147, he was always going to win and I give him credit for that. Great win, and looked impressive and I said he looked good on day one. I don't think Floyd ducked Hatton either, when they were at 140, Hatton said he wasn't ready for Floyd and needed a couple more fights and he did have a few more fights, but it happened at 147.
By the way, I am not knocking Floyd for beating Zab, that's fine. What I am knocking is that he hasn't fought certain guys. I just don't see why he feels the need to quickly step up to the plate when Hatton talks about him, Judah talks about him, and now there is Marquez and he said something like "be careful with what you wish for". While others may have talked about him, but he isn't so lippy back, or he says "who are they"? Like I said, Hatton and Judah are fine, but there are some more testing fighters than them yet still hasn't taken them.
For the record, I don't think there is one guy that I would pick against Floyd other than Williams. I would pick Mayweather over Cotto and Mosley, but I still want to see the fights, I think it would be interesting to see and it would sure beat a fight over Marquez. I'm actually surprised how many guys think a fight with Marquez would actually be competitive. Mayweather would seriously slaughter him, and that fight would be fucking ugly for Marquez.
He would beat Pacquiao comfortably as well, though not as dominant or brutal as a Marquez fight. I'm not letting p4p ranking sway me, but I honestly think a fight with Mosley and Cotto are bigger tests for him than a fight with Pacquiao and definitely Marquez.

Exactly.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Mar 24 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #134

Bourbon County Stout

QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 24 2009, 01:10 AM) [snapback]429462[/snapback]
Also, I do not give a shit if PBF did not bring his punch up with him. That does not mean he gets a pass to look for smaller type fighters. Pernell Whitaker moved up from lightweight, having little power in his arsenal, and took on undefeated prime fighters in ODLH and Trinidad at Welterweight!!! Thats what made Whitaker and Floyd different, Pernell actually wanted to fight the best regardless of what weight, and he did it when he was no longer in his prime.

Sweet Pea > Pretty Boy Floyd

Anyone who disputes that is a serious HUGGER.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Mar 24 2009, 04:35 PM
Post #135

Bourbon County Stout

QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Mar 24 2009, 01:10 AM) [snapback]429462[/snapback]
Also, I do not give a shit if PBF did not bring his punch up with him. That does not mean he gets a pass to look for smaller type fighters. Pernell Whitaker moved up from lightweight, having little power in his arsenal, and took on undefeated prime fighters in ODLH and Trinidad at Welterweight!!! Thats what made Whitaker and Floyd different, Pernell actually wanted to fight the best regardless of what weight, and he did it when he was no longer in his prime.

Sweet Pea > Pretty Boy Floyd

Anyone who disputes that is a serious HUGGER.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Mar 24 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #136

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 06:14 PM) [snapback]429577[/snapback]
I heard you mention that before, and asked you to comment on this, but didn't. What are you basing this on? What happened that makes you say this? Don't recall anything happening. All I remember is that Mayweather moved up and fought Gatti, while Tszyu had a fight with Hatton. Once again, what are you basing this on? Sources?
Yep, I remember a whole lot of people saying how Hopkins picks on little guys like Trinidad and DLH. I think DLH was a small guy that had no business being there, but don't blame Hopkins as it was a money fight that he hadn't had too much of. Trinidad only becomes a blown up welterweight every time he gets embarrassed. Kills Joppy, people are all over his nuts, he will beat Hopkins and so on. Hopkins beats him, he is a blown up welter. Trinidad comes back, smashes Mayorga, he is back and will steam roll Winky. Loses to Winky, and a blown up welter again.

Exactly. Sort of how it is with Floyd's opponents

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Mar 24 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #137

Cerebral Ape

Member No.: 5,390

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 06:14 PM) [snapback]429577[/snapback]
Yep, I remember a whole lot of people saying how Hopkins picks on little guys like Trinidad and DLH. I think DLH was a small guy that had no business being there, but don't blame Hopkins as it was a money fight that he hadn't had too much of. Trinidad only becomes a blown up welterweight every time he gets embarrassed. Kills Joppy, people are all over his nuts, he will beat Hopkins and so on. Hopkins beats him, he is a blown up welter. Trinidad comes back, smashes Mayorga, he is back and will steam roll Winky. Loses to Winky, and a blown up welter again.

No, he's always a blown up welter. I don't know anyone that actually watches boxing give him any kind of real credit for beating Mayorga. Maybe that's how they promoted it, but when is everyone going to stop listening to promoters, or even boxers for that matter.

Everyone put way too much stock into what these people say, who gives a fuck they're just trying to make a buck. I don't think mayweather gives two shits about his legacy and i wouldn't either. His legacy is his bank account, what good does joe louis' legacy do him?

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Mar 24 2009, 10:25 PM
Post #138

Heavyweight

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 11:12 PM) [snapback]429622[/snapback]
Not really, because Mayweather was expected to win against Hatton, Baldomir and Judah. There wasn't any kind of back lash after those fights. Trinidad isn't comparable to Hatton, Baldomir or Judah.

OK man...

Fact: Floyd could have challenged himself a lot more than he has.

Fact: The hate for Floyd is ridiculous and tends to outweigh his accomplishments.

Fiction: Floyd is a pussy and a coward.

Fiction: Floyd is on the same level as Whitaker and Leonard.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Mar 24 2009, 10:27 PM
Post #139

Heavyweight

QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 24 2009, 11:22 PM) [snapback]429624[/snapback]
No, he's always a blown up welter. I don't know anyone that actually watches boxing give him any kind of real credit for beating Mayorga. Maybe that's how they promoted it, but when is everyone going to stop listening to promoters, or even boxers for that matter.

Everyone put way too much stock into what these people say, who gives a fuck they're just trying to make a buck. I don't think mayweather gives two shits about his legacy and i wouldn't either. His legacy is his bank account, what good does joe louis' legacy do him?

LOL... You're right!

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Mar 24 2009, 10:53 PM
Post #140

Guests

QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 25 2009, 02:22 PM) [snapback]429624[/snapback]

Was he a blown up welter after he beat Joppy? Don't think so. He only ever lost to 160 fighters that were wrong for him. Not too big. Neither Hopkins or Wright beat Trinidad because of size, as they didn't out muscle him, he just couldn't find them. Him losing to them had zero to do with size.

I know Mayweather doesn't give two shits about his legacy, have you actually been reading what myself, Slim, JD and several others have been saying? That he didn't go for greatness. Us arguing that makes us aware he doesn't care for his legacy, so there's no news there. We are arguing with people that are trying to make out like he has some great legacy like Leonard.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 02:03 PM