Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mayweather to return july 11th?, Clarification: Old Thread From July 11, 2009
BigG
post Mar 25 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #141

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

Big Slim, I've already said in the past...Floyd doesn't have a great fighters mentality..... Since moving up to 147 anyway. The only reason he moved up was for Oscar De La Hoya that's the truth. He was after the payday. Judah & Hatton were also good fights for him as was Baldomir. But IF he does comeback. fact is, he will still be regarded as the 1st or 2nd best fighter in the world. He is probably the most talented fighter of his generation. If he does end up fighting Cotto, Mosley, Pacquiao, and yes, even Marquez he will be adding greatly to his legacy but until then I don't consider him an ATG...almost an ATG but not quite.

And yes, Sweet Pea > Floyd and also the man in my sig Terry Norris would KO him.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thegreatequalize...
post Mar 25 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #142

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,603

QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 24 2009, 11:22 PM) [snapback]429624[/snapback]
I don't think mayweather gives two shits about his legacy and i wouldn't either. His legacy is his bank account, what good does joe louis' legacy do him?

that's what i think about every time i see floyd fight. man, that guys got some mad bank account skillz. so fun to watch.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Mar 25 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #143

Cerebral Ape

Member No.: 5,390

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 11:53 PM) [snapback]429635[/snapback]
Was he a blown up welter after he beat Joppy?

Yes. Just because he happened to win doesn't mean he wasn't a blown up welterweight. Those are mutually exclusive issues. Win or Lose, Trinidad was a blown up welterweight when fighting at 160 or higher.

Just like Pac man is a blown up featherweight or lightweight when fighting at welter, he won, but he's still just a blown up little man.

This post has been edited by rusty_trombone: Mar 25 2009, 02:33 PM

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Mar 25 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #144

Welterweight

Member No.: 2,078

QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 25 2009, 01:32 PM) [snapback]429709[/snapback]
Win or Lose, Trinidad was a blown up welterweight when fighting at 160 or higher.

I think Trinidad outgrew the WW division sometime around the Whitaker fight.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Mar 25 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #145

Cerebral Ape

QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Mar 25 2009, 09:42 AM) [snapback]429677[/snapback]
that's what i think about every time i see floyd fight. man, that guys got some mad bank account skillz. so fun to watch.

it's not like he has money because people aren't watching. nobody watching = no money, not entertaining to watch then don't pay to see him fight. it's pretty simple.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Mar 25 2009, 05:37 PM
Post #146

Guests

QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 26 2009, 06:32 AM) [snapback]429709[/snapback]
Yes. Just because he happened to win doesn't mean he wasn't a blown up welterweight. Those are mutually exclusive issues. Win or Lose, Trinidad was a blown up welterweight when fighting at 160 or higher.

Just like Pac man is a blown up featherweight or lightweight when fighting at welter, he won, but he's still just a blown up little man.

What are you basing him being a blown up welter on? It seems like you are just basing it on him losing that was out of the weight class he began in. He has 4 fights at 160, two of them he won in impressive fashion and showed power. In the 2 he lost?

Hopkins - He couldn't land, got out boxed and then stopped

Winky - He couldn't land, just got jabbed all night. Wasn't pushed around the ring.

From what I remember, Trinidad couldn't land, so nobody can say that he was too small and couldn't hurt them because of size, in order to come up with that idea, you have to land, but he didn't so it's just assumption. Like I said, he couldn't land. Winky or Hopkins didn't push him back and around the ring and basically use their size either. Hopkins used angles and movement, Winky just used his jab and turtle defense that Trinidad couldn't figure out, so once again I don't know where the idea comes from that he was a blown up welter. As him losing to Hopkins and Winky had absolutely zero to do about him being too small. So what did you base it on? Unless you saw a different fight and you think Trinidad got walked down, bullied and beat down, though that certainly did not happen.

This post has been edited by Fitz: Mar 25 2009, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
iron_mike
post Mar 25 2009, 06:12 PM
Post #147

Featherweight

Member No.: 4,588

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 25 2009, 06:37 PM) [snapback]429722[/snapback]
What are you basing him being a blown up welter on? It seems like you are just basing it on him losing that was out of the weight class he began in. He has 4 fights at 160, two of them he won in impressive fashion and showed power. In the 2 he lost?

Hopkins - He couldn't land, got out boxed and then stopped

Winky - He couldn't land, just got jabbed all night. Wasn't pushed around the ring.

From what I remember, Trinidad couldn't land, so nobody can say that he was too small and couldn't hurt them because of size, in order to come up with that idea, you have to land, but he didn't so it's just assumption. Like I said, he couldn't land. Winky or Hopkins didn't push him back and around the ring and basically use their size either. Hopkins used angles and movement, Winky just used his jab and turtle defense that Trinidad couldn't figure out, so once again I don't know where the idea comes from that he was a blown up welter. As him losing to Hopkins and Winky had absolutely zero to do about him being too small. So what did you base it on? Unless you saw a different fight and you think Trinidad got walked down, bullied and beat down, though that certainly did not happen.

I just remember wasting $ on that PPV when the week before or same wknd was Corrales Castillo I. Tito looked TINY compared to Winky...Tito always looked soft around the middle at 160, but he looked like like a twig

+Quote Post
dbdbdb
post Mar 25 2009, 06:28 PM
Post #148

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 4,102

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Mar 25 2009, 03:59 AM) [snapback]429667[/snapback]
Big Slim, I've already said in the past...Floyd doesn't have a great fighters mentality..... Since moving up to 147 anyway. The only reason he moved up was for Oscar De La Hoya that's the truth. He was after the payday. Judah & Hatton were also good fights for him as was Baldomir. But IF he does comeback. fact is, he will still be regarded as the 1st or 2nd best fighter in the world. He is probably the most talented fighter of his generation. If he does end up fighting Cotto, Mosley, Pacquiao, and yes, even Marquez he will be adding greatly to his legacy but until then I don't consider him an ATG...almost an ATG but not quite.

And yes, Sweet Pea > Floyd and also the man in my sig Terry Norris would KO him.

Spot On, biggeorge89

Floyd had been chasing DLH for years and it was the only reason he moved up to 147lbs. After he got the big payday fight with DLH, he was going to retire. But then another huge payday presented itself in the form of Hatton.

Since moving up to welterweight Floyd's Motto = Price is right, make the fight.

The so-called 8million offer to fight AM was tempting ... but it was no where near the 20million Plus he was going to get for DLH.

I think both Sweet-pea and Terry Norris vs Floyd would have been great fights if ther were in the same era. But Norris was a sucker for the overhand right {aka Julian Jackson} and Floyd would have worn that punch out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Sweet-pea vs Floyd would have been a serious chess match and boring.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Mar 25 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #149

Guests

QUOTE(iron_mike @ Mar 26 2009, 10:12 AM) [snapback]429725[/snapback]
I just remember wasting $ on that PPV when the week before or same wknd was Corrales Castillo I. Tito looked TINY compared to Winky...Tito always looked soft around the middle at 160, but he looked like like a twig

In the Winky fight he looked a bit soft, but to me he has never been one of those extremely ripped fighters. But my point was, the losses he had at 160 had zero to do with him being too small. He lost to Hopkins who gave him movement and outboxed him, and he literally couldn't land. Without landing, you can't determine that he it was because he was too small, plus Hopkins didn't walk him down or anything. With Winky, he just pumped the jab in front of his face the whole night and he couldn't figure it out. I think both of those fights had nothing to do with size.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Mar 25 2009, 08:00 PM
Post #150

Cerebral Ape

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 25 2009, 07:44 PM) [snapback]429728[/snapback]
In the Winky fight he looked a bit soft, but to me he has never been one of those extremely ripped fighters. But my point was, the losses he had at 160 had zero to do with him being too small. He lost to Hopkins who gave him movement and outboxed him, and he literally couldn't land. Without landing, you can't determine that he it was because he was too small, plus Hopkins didn't walk him down or anything. With Winky, he just pumped the jab in front of his face the whole night and he couldn't figure it out. I think both of those fights had nothing to do with size.

Again, the outcome of the fights and what transpired make no difference. These are mutually exclusive ideas, that means they exist without each other. I don't care that Hopkins didn't beat him because he was a blown up welterweight, that doesn't matter. The point is that he is a blown up welterweight. And don't forget the Roy Jones fight. Tito was never a true middleweight, and was always alot smaller and softer than his opponents there. Try to separate outcomes of the fight, and what Tito was at 160 & above.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:24 AM