16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mayweather to return july 11th?, Clarification: Old Thread From July 11, 2009
Guest_Fitz_*
post Mar 25 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #151

Guests

QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Mar 26 2009, 12:00 PM) [snapback]429731[/snapback]
Again, the outcome of the fights and what transpired make no difference. These are mutually exclusive ideas, that means they exist without each other. I don't care that Hopkins didn't beat him because he was a blown up welterweight, that doesn't matter. The point is that he is a blown up welterweight. And don't forget the Roy Jones fight. Tito was never a true middleweight, and was always alot smaller and softer than his opponents there. Try to separate outcomes of the fight, and what Tito was at 160 & above.

Trinidad fought Jones at 170. That was well out of his depth. While 160 wasn't his prime or best weight, I don't think it had anything to do with being too small. He had 2 wins, and the 2 losses had nothing to do with size. You are probably looking at Trinidad and just said that he was a blown up welter, but there hasn't been an instant where you were like, "Wow, Trinidad just can't hurt that guy and is getting man handled". Because like I said, it didn't occur in his 2 losses and he won the other 2 in impressive fashion.
I just think when someone says "Hopkins beat a blown up welter" it is implying he won because he was small. Wasn't the case, Hopkins would have beaten him any where, any time so I don't understand the point in emphasising that he was a blown up welter, because it is irrelevant in the Hopkins fight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Mar 25 2009, 09:15 PM
Post #152

Cerebral Ape

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 5,390

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 25 2009, 09:14 PM) [snapback]429733[/snapback]
I just think when someone says "Hopkins beat a blown up welter" it is implying he won because he was small. Wasn't the case, Hopkins would have beaten him any where, any time so I don't understand the point in emphasising that he was a blown up welter, because it is irrelevant in the Hopkins fight.

It may be irrelevant, but nonetheless true

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Mar 25 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #153

Guests

Well maybe, but you are just going by how he looks physically. Like I said, there wasn't a fight at 160 that made you go "wow, he is just too small and getting pushed around". He got ou tboxed thoroughly in the fights he lost and won impressively showing power in the fights he won.
The only fight where you could tell he was out of his league physically was the Jones fight, he was landing, but you could tell he had nothing, and looked small and weak. Couldn't determine that with Winky and Hopkins.

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Mar 26 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #154

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,078

QUOTE(Fitz @ Mar 24 2009, 04:14 PM) [snapback]429577[/snapback]
I heard you mention that before, and asked you to comment on this, but didn't. What are you basing this on? What happened that makes you say this? Don't recall anything happening. All I remember is that Mayweather moved up and fought Gatti, while Tszyu had a fight with Hatton. Once again, what are you basing this on? Sources?

I don't recall how I came to that conclusion. Think it was a PBF interview where he basically says that certain guys @ 140 don't want to fight him...

+Quote Post
kingknockout
post Apr 21 2009, 03:46 AM
Post #155

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,222

can't wait (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Oct 7 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #156

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

(IMG:http://papercastlepress.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Good-Old-Days.jpg)

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Oct 7 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #157

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 19 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Dumb move to try to fight on July 11...especially when it's just a tune-up.

Even if the fight is "free" on HBO World Championship Boxing, the number of viewers are still going to be lower than normal because of UFC 100.

I can guarantee you that myself and Percy will be watching UFC 100 over a Mayweather tune-up...and I actually consider myself to still be a diehard boxing fan.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Oh my.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 10:17 PM