Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Roy Jones vs. Jeff Lacy on PPV,lol
MarzB
post May 22 2009, 10:07 AM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

I didn't see a topic for it so may as well create one plus I'm Pac'd and Mayweathered out.

I understand MAYBE these guys not being able to get a tv deal. Actually I don't because ESPN 2 or VS would have given them SOMETHING for this fight. But where does Roy's Square Ring outfit gets the nerve to think that this is a viable fight but that they'll actually have significant pay per view buys??

I know there are some people that are addicted to boxing and will cave in but I can't even see paying $20 for this which I know won't be the price. Square Ring's stable isn't that vast so I don't see the undercard being loaded.

I have a better idea for this totally insignificant fight. Since it's in August, hold it at some County State Fair along with the other farm exhibits. Since Roy fought in Boise, Idaho prior, this shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Seriously though, why not go for the SpikeTV or VS's of the world because I seriously doubt this fight does anything more than 20K buys.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thehype
post May 22 2009, 10:23 AM
Post #2

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (MarzB @ May 22 2009, 11:07 AM) *
Seriously though, why not go for the SpikeTV or VS's of the world because I seriously doubt this fight does anything more than 20K buys.

Because networks like ESPN and VERSUS don't have the kind of budget to pay Roy Jones Jr. the type of money he still THINKS he should get.

A network like ESPN only budgets like $50K (not the actual number, but just use it as an example) for their events. There's no way Roy is going to fight Jeff Lacy for that kind of money. Don't get me wrong...personally, I think that's all that fight is worth, but if you're Roy Jones Jr., you're not going to want to take that kind of money after you made ten times that amount just two fights ago. That's why they've decided to try and take it to PPV....thinking that they'll make way more money doing a PPV as opposed to taking the low fee on a network like ESPN.

It's really up to the fans to make sure they take a hit and don't make any good money on that event.

+Quote Post
MarzB
post May 22 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

I was thinking the amount was $20K Hype so question. (let me check to see if they've picked a venue for this).

They haven't picked a venue yet so lets speculate they get some venue that holds 15-20K. (I'm trying to figure out what the gate could be) Realistically I think we can agree they're going to draw 5,000 tops right??

I realistically can't see this fight getting anything more than a $200K gate and thats pushing it.

Back to my question, with your inside knowledge, what is the expected gate numbers wise for something like this you think??

+Quote Post
thehype
post May 22 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #4

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (MarzB @ May 22 2009, 11:42 AM) *
I was thinking the amount was $20K Hype so question. (let me check to see if they've picked a venue for this).

They haven't picked a venue yet so lets speculate they get some venue that holds 15-20K. (I'm trying to figure out what the gate could be) Realistically I think we can agree they're going to draw 5,000 tops right??

I realistically can't see this fight getting anything more than a $200K gate and thats pushing it.

Back to my question, with your inside knowledge, what is the expected gate numbers wise for something like this you think??

No clue, but I do know Lacy only drew about 2000 at his last fight and although the official attendance for Roy's fight against Sheika was never released, I know it was held at the Pensacola Civic Center, which has a total capacity to seat 9000 for a boxing event, assuming every seat is filled. Now mind you, Roy's fight against Sheika was even't close to being packed...and that was in his hometown. If I was being kind, I'd say maybe 6000 showed up...and honestly, that's probably being really, really, REALLY kind. So truth be told, I doubt they'd even be able to get 10000 in there.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post May 22 2009, 11:55 AM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,333

At a reasonable price I would buy it but based on past RJ's PPV's crappy undercards I am not expecting a good one this time and so I will not buy it.

+Quote Post
Romulus9
post May 22 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #6

Formerly wvu8893

Member No.: 2,334

Screw the numbers, the television setup, all of it. All I know is that this is REALLY sad to watch.

ESPN2 would have jumped all over this fight for Friday Night Fights. They had a world title bout a couple of months ago in Canada! It would have gotten great ratings for ESPN2 and would have given the winner some nice exposure for a good win, even if in name only.

But no, they have to go for a useless pay-per-view, in times of a horrible economy, with reduced distribution and a sad state of affairs in overall value. Who's buying THAT? Not me.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post May 22 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #7

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

I just deleted a good post before I could send it, trying to look up the exact numbers...ugh

Anyway, if this fight went to the St Pete Times Forum...it would do 10-12k live gate EASILY.

Both guys have fought there several times, and both have sold it very well...Roy did a little better. Don't look at the Sun Dome numbers as a realistic indicater. When fights go to the Forum, it's an EVENT in Tampa.

Depending on the promotion and local buzz, this fight could sell as good as their others.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post May 22 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #8

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,447

roy would need to do some very heavy promotions and make a descent undercard for once... people are not gonna buy his fights just because its him fighting.. we want to see substance on a card when we know what we are going to get in the main event... this is two shot fighters going at it... and i wont be surprised to see lacy pull this off...

+Quote Post
MarzB
post May 22 2009, 01:32 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

I would. Lacy sucks IMO. He's musclebound meathead who's very easy to hit. Forget the Taylor and Cal fights, Sheika and Manfredo made him look bad and I could clearly see how Otis Griffin could have won that last fight cnsidering I hear people boo'd the decision.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post May 22 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #10

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,447

yeah but he's basically going up against a roy jones that dont have nuthin left... lacy has a very good chance in this fight... thats not saying lacy has a lot left either but i thik if lacy makes this a brawl he wins....

This post has been edited by JLUVBABY: May 22 2009, 02:15 PM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 10:03 AM