> Pavlik Vs Williams, Oct. 3 in Atlantic City
STEVENSKI
post Aug 19 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #211

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 20 2009, 12:35 AM) *
Back to my point earlier. Cotto-Margarito was another example that was more about what Cotto could take from Margarito. Cotto was the better fighter, and if he was able to take Margarito's shots, he would win. Margarito won because he was too strong. I am on the fence with Pavlik-Williams for the same reason. I think Williams is better, but not sure if he can stand up.
Actually that was a good example with the Margarito-Cotto comparison.

C'mon Fitz. That is like saying DLH hits harder than Floyd but Floyd won because he was a better boxer. Floyd won because he was the better fighter just like Margarito won because he was the better fighter. Margarito's attributes such as stamina & strength beat Cotto's power & skill.

If Cotto was so skilled he should have gotten in there & did what Mosley did to Margarito. He was not skilled enough so he got brutalised. If Pavlik wins it is because he is the superior fighter not because he is "stronger".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 19 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #212

Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 19 2009, 08:44 PM) *
C'mon Fitz. That is like saying DLH hits harder than Floyd but Floyd won because he was a better boxer. Floyd won because he was the better fighter just like Margarito won because he was the better fighter. Margarito's attributes such as stamina & strength beat Cotto's power & skill.

If Cotto was so skilled he should have gotten in there & did what Mosley did to Margarito. He was not skilled enough so he got brutalised. If Pavlik wins it is because he is the superior fighter not because he is "stronger".

I agree with Stevenksi. If Pavlik wins this fight it's because he's the better fighter (unless he's getting pounded and lands something crazy). This is why I pick Williams to win this fight and win it pretty handily. I don't see anything Pavlik can bring that would offset Williams. The whole size and strength thing can be overrated at times. In this case, Williams holds just about EVERY advantage with the exception of punching power. I hope that this fight comes off one day. I'm certain that it will be Pavlik on his heels and PWill coming foward for the majority of the fight. This whole "size advantage" shit is old.

+Quote Post
WolfishPromistah
post Aug 20 2009, 12:40 PM
Post #213

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,305

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 20 2009, 05:14 AM) *
If Margarito is so much better than Cotto, he should have done what Cotto did with Mosley. Styles makes fights. Margarito isn't a better fighter than Cotto, and absolutely nothing will make me think that Margarito is a superior fighter than Cotto.
Styles make fights, some guys like Cotto will really, really struggle with a guy that doesn't stop coming forward that is bigger and stronger, but then do better against a better fighter that isn't so much in your face (Mosley).
If you don't think a fighter can lose a fight but still be the superior fighter, that means you don't subscribe to the statement "styles make fights" and you also subscribe to boxing maths "A+B=C". Because it would mean that Forrest is better than Mosley, Mayorga is better than Forrest, Phillips is better than Tszyu and of course Cotto is better than Mosley. But of course Cotto/Mosley/Margarito just goes to show you that a fighter losing can still be better. They all lost to each other. I don't know why you think that a guy losing a fight can't be better than the guy he lost to. That is how the whole idea of "styles make fights" began.

And I'm adding from that Williams has displayed all around better skill and variation than Pavlik, leading me to believe that "lucky punch" after being down on the cards is THE "most likely" scenario when thinking of a Pavlik win.

Hence, this is ultimately about Kelly's power and whether Williams can take it, BUT ONLY "if" Kelly even can display that much -- which is doubtful since Williams got him in EVERY other aspect + a chin that does not lead me to believe he'd go down from the Kelly style assault. This will fall on how Williams dictates overall.

Yes, let's all be clear that, in other words -- "Styles make [winners of] fights," meaning Paul Williams in this case (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ok.gif)

This post has been edited by WolfishPromistah: Aug 20 2009, 12:43 PM

+Quote Post
merk3158
post Oct 3 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #214

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,575

i like both fighters but since i'm from youngstown i got to take my man pavlik... his hard hitting 1-2 punch will affect williams plus they will fight in pavliks best weight... williams might be shifty and dodges punches but when hes in the corner or agianst the ropes he wont be able to... pavlik by k.o. or t.k.o.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 20 21 22
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 11:56 AM