Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Love or Hate Floyd Mayweather? Reasons Why, 1 Topic Merged Here
caneman
post Nov 25 2009, 12:20 PM
Post #121

Amateur

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,310

Do you think Hatton is even a B level guy @ 147?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Nov 25 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #122

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

Yeah I'd say at 147 he was a B. He basically went even up with Collazo who I consider a good B welter.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Nov 25 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #123

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

I agree with everything all you guys are saying. At least Mayweather fought him when Hatton was as good as he was going to get.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Nov 29 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #124

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

My biggest fears about all the hype surrounding Mayweather-Pacquiao are the following:

All to watch Mayweather, grab, hold, and pot-shot his way to around a 116-112 UD I'm afraid. The fight has to happen for the Marquee aspects of the event. However, as far as action in the ring, Floyd will not enage in a war type match leading to this or a very similar outcome.

Jack

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Nov 29 2009, 11:01 PM
Post #125

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 29 2009, 11:28 PM) *
My biggest fears about all the hype surrounding Mayweather-Pacquiao are the following:

All to watch Mayweather, grab, hold, and pot-shot his way to around a 116-112 UD I'm afraid. The fight has to happen for the Marquee aspects of the event. However, as far as action in the ring, Floyd will not enage in a war type match leading to this or a very similar outcome.

Jack

There is no way to ignore the possibility that your fears will come true. But I still believe that Pacman's style demands a much different PBF than in the JMM fight. Manny will force Floyd to come to play from the opening bell, which I believe is bad news for Pac. His best chance is if we see Money's version of JMM which will end in exactly what you fear. But I do not think that PBF wants to risk the late rounds or a decision versus Pacman. Especially given decisions like that travesty last night. I know that many think I am nuts for thinking that PBF will TKO Manny in 6 or less, but the reason I do is because I think Pacman has a legitimate chance to win, and I think Floyd recognizes the same.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Nov 30 2009, 04:52 AM
Post #126

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 30 2009, 12:01 AM) *
There is no way to ignore the possibility that your fears will come true. But I still believe that Pacman's style demands a much different PBF than in the JMM fight. Manny will force Floyd to come to play from the opening bell, which I believe is bad news for Pac. His best chance is if we see Money's version of JMM which will end in exactly what you fear. But I do not think that PBF wants to risk the late rounds or a decision versus Pacman. Especially given decisions like that travesty last night. I know that many think I am nuts for thinking that PBF will TKO Manny in 6 or less, but the reason I do is because I think Pacman has a legitimate chance to win, and I think Floyd recognizes the same.

I can see what you're saying Smarty but I also have to believe that PBF saw Manny deck Cotto in rounds 3 and 4 of their fight and thus respects Manny's bought his power up to WW. I don't see him getting in the kill zone enough in the first 6 rounds to take Manny out. He must also respect that Manny will be one of the quicker fighters he has fought.
Floyd is primarily (these days) a safety 1st fighter and that won'tt change for this fight.

PBF knows he's a good enough boxer that he should be able to coast this one without geting 'robbed' at the end.

A stylistic mismatch for The Pacman.

Plus if there is a rematch clause I think Floyd is savvy enough to know not to make the 1st one too lopsided. I always believed he carried DLH in their fight for the same reason-irrespective of whether the rematch came off or not.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Nov 30 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #127

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Nov 30 2009, 04:52 AM) *
I always believed he carried DLH in their fight for the same reason-irrespective of whether the rematch came off or not.

No doubt.

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Nov 30 2009, 07:03 PM
Post #128

Middleweight

QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Nov 30 2009, 05:52 AM) *
I can see what you're saying Smarty but I also have to believe that PBF saw Manny deck Cotto in rounds 3 and 4 of their fight and thus respects Manny's bought his power up to WW. I don't see him getting in the kill zone enough in the first 6 rounds to take Manny out. He must also respect that Manny will be one of the quicker fighters he has fought.
Floyd is primarily (these days) a safety 1st fighter and that won'tt change for this fight.

PBF knows he's a good enough boxer that he should be able to coast this one without geting 'robbed' at the end.

A stylistic mismatch for The Pacman.

Plus if there is a rematch clause I think Floyd is savvy enough to know not to make the 1st one too lopsided. I always believed he carried DLH in their fight for the same reason-irrespective of whether the rematch came off or not.

And I can understand why you would see it that way. I just don't see PBF having much of a choice. Pacman is going to force him to fight with pressure and work-rate, which will present Floyd with opportunities he will not be able to refuse. Also, I do not think there will be any likelihood of a rematch. If Pac gets the decision or catches PBF and puts him away, that's it for Manny. If he loses, Pacman will close his career out with a win against someone (other than Money).

Against Pacman, without a KO, there is always a chance of being robbed in the end. Just ask Sweet Pea (or Funeka). A huge majority of the world would love to see PBF "get his come-uppance." Most could care less if it was by robbery. They would just rationalize the decision.

But, you certainly could be right. Let's just hope that we get the chance to find out.

This post has been edited by SmartyBeardo: Nov 30 2009, 07:05 PM

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Nov 30 2009, 09:17 PM
Post #129

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Nov 30 2009, 08:03 PM) *
And I can understand why you would see it that way. I just don't see PBF having much of a choice. Pacman is going to force him to fight with pressure and work-rate, which will present Floyd with opportunities he will not be able to refuse. Also, I do not think there will be any likelihood of a rematch. If Pac gets the decision or catches PBF and puts him away, that's it for Manny. If he loses, Pacman will close his career out with a win against someone (other than Money).

Against Pacman, without a KO, there is always a chance of being robbed in the end. Just ask Sweet Pea (or Funeka). A huge majority of the world would love to see PBF "get his come-uppance." Most could care less if it was by robbery. They would just rationalize the decision.

But, you certainly could be right. Let's just hope that we get the chance to find out.

Fair enough points. You're right he may well catch Manny and hurt him plenty (I don't see Floyd as primarily a one punch KO artist) I think that just like the JMM fight he will sit back rather than put him away.

If Pac wins that may be it for him but can you imagine the mad money on offer to do it all again, especially if it is close? He could give a lot away to charity! LOL

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Dec 1 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #130

Middleweight

QUOTE (the ollie reed fan club @ Nov 30 2009, 10:17 PM) *
Fair enough points. You're right he may well catch Manny and hurt him plenty (I don't see Floyd as primarily a one punch KO artist) I think that just like the JMM fight he will sit back rather than put him away.

If Pac wins that may be it for him but can you imagine the mad money on offer to do it all again, especially if it is close? He could give a lot away to charity! LOL

I mentioned somewhere in the threads that people should not be surprised if it turns out that Pacman's management chooses to find a way to duck this fight because behind closed doors they understand the reality of the matchup challenges that PBF presents.

Nobody appears to agree with me that Berto may surprise Mosley. Berto is a far better matchup for Manny and if he can win he will be an extremely hot property. The dynamics of the situation could marginalize PBF. Floyd has been laying in the grass waiting for Manny. He has created an army of haters to join forces with Pac's disciples in order to set the table for one huge slaughter, economically and strategically.

What if they ignore him-just pass him by? Now he has to get in the trenches with the hungry young lions or fade into obscurity.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 03:35 AM