Col Reb
post Dec 1 2009, 07:02 PM
Post #131

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,564

I wouldn't mind him fighting the following guys next as a "tune up":

Zab Judah - great tune up for getting used to speed

Kermit Cintron - would be a challenge, but a fight Floyd should win while proving he can beat the bigger boys

Cory Spinks - if he could get Cory to 147, it would be great work for Floyd

Tim Bradley - i bet tim would move up for the fight, and it would be good work

Luis Collazo - another fast southpaw that could give Floyd some rounds

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Dec 1 2009, 08:49 PM
Post #132

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Col Reb @ Dec 1 2009, 06:02 PM) *
I wouldn't mind him fighting the following guys next as a "tune up":

Zab Judah - great tune up for getting used to speed

Kermit Cintron - would be a challenge, but a fight Floyd should win while proving he can beat the bigger boys

Cory Spinks - if he could get Cory to 147, it would be great work for Floyd

Tim Bradley - i bet tim would move up for the fight, and it would be good work

Luis Collazo - another fast southpaw that could give Floyd some rounds

Nice list,

Here is my list for the only guys that I could see Floyd in a losing fight:

Best chance of Floyd losing to:

Paul Williams because of Floyd fighting in his natural weight class, The Punisher's size and reach. Paul is so awkward. OR

Shane Mosley: Natural weight class if not bigger and knows the boxing tricks against the best. BUT he has to bring his Delahoya I "A" game to win. If we get the versions against Forrest, Mayweather wins easily.

Manny Pacquio: Has the pressure, and punchers' chance to win, but only at about 40%. Floyd is at least 60% or better favored to avoid a war, stay on the outside, and pot-shot Manny to a 116-112 type of decision. Floyd won't engage and that is Pacquiao's ONLY chance to win.

Side by side, Floyd is just so much bigger than Manny. If you don't see it now, you'll see it if they ever fight. Pacman is just too small to be a major threat to Floyd. And Floyd I could see coming in at something like 150+ where Golden Boy Promotions won't let the public see the weight difference to give Floyd the huge advantage of outpointing a smaller man. Floyd's done this for seven years, no reason to change that now.

No one else out there to shut Floyd's mouth unfortunately.

Jack

+Quote Post
jp
post Dec 1 2009, 09:37 PM
Post #133

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 2,256

Iole is reporting that the fight is basically a done deal for March 13th.

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slug=ki-f...o&type=lgns

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Dec 1 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #134

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

The much-anticipated bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao is all but set for March 13, a source told Yahoo! Sports.

Mayweather has agreed to terms and promoter Bob Arum is making a trip to Manila, Philippines, to finalize a deal with Pacquiao, the source said.

Las Vegas, Dallas and New Orleans are the front-runners to host the bout, which is expected to become the highest-grossing boxing match in the sportís history.

Pacquiao is the top pound-for-pound fighter in nearly every major ranking, including Yahoo! Sports. Mayweather is No. 2 in most rankings and was No. 1 in nearly all of the polls before he briefly retired in June 2008.

Pacquiao is coming off a 12th-round stoppage of Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, a bout in which he won the World Boxing Organization welterweight championship and erased fears that he is not a legitimate welterweight.

Cotto was a legitimate welterweight in his prime and Pacquiao dominated, knocking him down twice and cruising to the one-sided victory.

Mayweather routed Juan Manuel Marquez, who had previously been ranked No. 2 in the Yahoo! Sports poll, in a Sept. 19 fight at the MGM Grand.

The public demand for the fight has been enormous, putting pressure on Arum and Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer, who represents Mayweather, to get a deal done.

Promoters had targeted May 1 for the fight almost from the moment that Pacquiao stopped Cotto. But Pacquiao filed Tuesday to run for Congress in the Philippines and the election will be held on May 10.

Given that, the bout with Mayweather had to be moved up to March 13 or pushed back until September.

Though there were reports that Arum was considering matching Pacquiao with new WBO super welterweight champion Yuri Foreman on March 13 in Dallas, that was a diversionary move and was never serious, the source said.

A survey team from Top Rank will inspect Dallas Cowboys Stadium as a possible venue. The MGM Grand Garden Arena and the New Orleans Superdome are also in the running to host the mega-fight, the source said.

STEP UP PAC... The ball is in you're court!

This post has been edited by StyleZ: Dec 1 2009, 09:38 PM

+Quote Post
MarzB
post Dec 1 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #135

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

Kevin Iole (sp?) is usually a VERY reputable source also..

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Dec 1 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #136

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (StyleZ @ Dec 1 2009, 10:38 PM) *
STEP UP PAC... The ball is in you're court!

It looks like this fight is close to a done deal and could happen even sooner than we thought.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Dec 2 2009, 12:19 AM
Post #137

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

Dangit the first quarter of 2010 is going to be great...not just for boxing but for every damn thing I got going on. I just hope nobody pulls out of their fight. Hell dont be surprised if Paul Williams gets a fight in the first quarter too if he gets passed Martinez.

+Quote Post
mexi-cutioner
post Dec 2 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #138

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,263

An article from a philippines newspaper has Pac's lawyer, Jeng Gacal, saying that Pacquiao's next fight is going to be in the political arena and a May 1st and March 13th date are BOTH out of the picture... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/fuk.gif)

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?artic...ubCategoryId=69

+Quote Post
provo
post Dec 17 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #139

Super Bantamweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,309

I read a article, thought it was interesting and thought id share it with you guys

Love him or hate him Floyd Mayweather is one of the best fighters in the world today. And while he has plenty of loving fans but he has almost as many haters and I've always questioned why. Is it because he really is that good or is it because he doesn't shy away from expressing his opinions? Could it be a combination of both?

The character of his career could have gone one of two ways. He easily could have been the next Oscar de la Hoya. Mayweather held a stellar amateur record of 84-6 including an Olympic Bronze Medal. Floyd could have played the role of the humble boxer who let his skills do most of his talking and after each victory flash his smile that is as golden as Oscar's. Rather than play Mr. Humble, Floyd Mayweather simply remained himself.

Being young, famous, and rich is one hell of a combination, one that most of us would probably have a problem handling. Put me in Junior's shoes and I would show this world a phase of crazy like it has never seen before. Everyone who has the opportunity to be in the public spotlight takes to it differently. Floyd didn't step into it delicately; he demanded it, and once he had it he ran with it. He speaks his mind and doesn't care if you agree with him or not. He is his own man.

When I read the message boards I see plenty of people saying they hate Floyd Mayweather. Hate is a very strong word used much too often. When I was younger I would constantly say I hate this fighter or that fighter. That all changed when I got a chance to meet some of the fighters I claimed to hate and I was shocked when I realized they were nice guys. I hated these people without ever meeting them or knowing them. Many of them took a small part of who they really were and magnified it to create a character of sorts. A few of them may have been arrogant or cocky and they added fuel to it to grab the attention of the public. A fighter who doesn't get watched, doesn't get paid, it's that simple.

Do I believe Floyd is exactly like the person you see on TV? The answer is yes and no, for the reasons I stated above. I don't see him changing his ways anytime soon because the Floyd Mayweather we see today is the Floyd Mayweather that has won every fight he's ever been in. The young man has made millions an millions of dollars, so if it's not broke why fix it?

The truth is some fighters say it and others think it. Why is it that a fighter who says what he thinks catches so much heat? Most of the time the fan who criticizes the fighter is guilty of the exact same thing they hate a fighter for, and that is talking trash .
Tony Montgomery

+Quote Post
KookedKrack
post Dec 17 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #140

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 5,468

I think this article is dead on.

Being yourself>>Being a fake smile having fishnet wearing goldenboy.

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 02:56 AM