IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayorga in MMA, What do ya all think??
Warlord
post Feb 26 2010, 03:18 AM
Post #11

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 26 2010, 01:38 AM) *
When I was a kid, my dad told me more than once that "boxers are soft outside the ring." Of course, I didn't believe him. What he meant was that their hands are soft, literally.

My dad was a farmer. He bucked hay, dug ditches and fought like a badger. He taught me to use everything at my disposal in a fight. Hit first, kick, bite and break anything within distance, and ask questions later. Of course, I didn't believe him.

Then I got jumped by a couple of kids my age. I knocked one on the ground and jumped on him, but the other got a chock hold on me from behind.

Since then, although I still have a habit of allowing my opponents to strike first, I follow my father's advice. It has served me well.

You're right. Boxers have no business in an MMA cage.

Haha, your dad sounds like mine. The old man didn't teach me much, but he did give me one little doozey that I've carried with me all my days. "If you can't win, get a weapon." The old man didn't abide losing. Under any circumstances.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Feb 26 2010, 04:32 AM
Post #12

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 01:00 AM) *
We've seen enough already.

Kazushi Sakuraba already owned Rubin Williams on his feet before subbing him in RD1.

Yoshihiro Akiyama armbarred the "legendary" Frans Botha in RD1.

Kimbo freakin slice took Ray Mercer down and submitted him with a guillotine in RD1.

Jeremy Williams is about the only boxer whose looked even halfway decent so far, but he hasn't fought in nearly 2 years and is archaic.

Why don't boxers stick to boxing, and mixed martial artists stick to MMA. That'd be cool.

What about the same old grizzled washed up Mercer Knocking Out Tim Sylvia with one right hand?

Personally, I don't care what fighters of each others sport does, as far as trying the other sport out. What does irritate me is boxers or MMA guys talking shit they are going to do the other sport but never do anyway(Diaz, Koons, Arlvoski, Toney, Mayweather, Cintron, Silva, etc). Again, I do not know alot about MMA, and I know you do. Any of the MMA guys going to fight pro, or just talk? I know Silva did fight before. Anyway feel free to set me straight on the facts. Just curious.

This post has been edited by Lil-lightsout: Feb 26 2010, 04:33 AM

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Feb 26 2010, 05:00 AM
Post #13

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 26 2010, 04:32 AM) *
What about the same old grizzled washed up Mercer Knocking Out Tim Sylvia with one right hand?

Personally, I don't care what fighters of each others sport does, as far as trying the other sport out. What does irritate me is boxers or MMA guys talking shit they are going to do the other sport but never do anyway(Diaz, Koons, Arlvoski, Toney, Mayweather, Cintron, Silva, etc). Again, I do not know alot about MMA, and I know you do. Any of the MMA guys going to fight pro, or just talk? I know Silva did fight before. Anyway feel free to set me straight on the facts. Just curious.

There ain't no MMA fighter serious about going to boxing, because they'd get WAXED if they did. I mean a hardcore, serious waxing. Not one of them could survive with a legit professional.

MMA and boxing are too different. No one from one side could go to the other and dominate. Anderson Silva would get his ass obliterated in a boxing ring. In fact, I'd love to see it happen, just to shut him and his gay-ass fans up.

In the same vein; James Toney is probably my favorite active fighter today, and believe me, he don't want none of what them boys in the octagon got waiting for him.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Feb 26 2010, 05:26 AM
Post #14

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 11:00 AM) *
In the same vein; James Toney is probably my favorite active fighter today, and believe me, he don't want none of what them boys in the octagon got waiting for him.

I would love to see Toney in the Octagon. He would get smoked real good.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Feb 26 2010, 06:17 AM
Post #15

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 26 2010, 05:26 AM) *
I would love to see Toney in the Octagon. He would get smoked real good.

I love James, but man, he'd get put to sleep, probably by rear-naked choke. I don't ever want to see him get humbled like that.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Feb 26 2010, 06:30 AM
Post #16

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 11:17 AM) *
I love James, but man, he'd get put to sleep, probably by rear-naked choke. I don't ever want to see him get humbled like that.

I would be very happy to see him in a gogoplata or a kimura. He is so fucking dumb he probably would not tap.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 26 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #17

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 25 2010, 07:41 PM) *
To me it all depends on the type of competion he faces. I think he has a good shot of KO'ing anyone with his power though. Regardless, I for some reason am interested in seeing a fight with him in MMA.

From the standpoint of the crazy antics of Mayorga, I LOVE IT!!! I will be sure to try to watch!!!

But many times, it is a very difficult transition from one sport to the other. I could see him taking a couple of tomato cans, but losing the first time he gets in with even a 20 contender guy. He doesn't have the mental state or discipline for this. Mayorga is always entertaining. But in most of his fights became more Wild Man than good fighter.

If he was a heavyweight or something, he'd be great in the WWE! LOL! It would be staged so he wouldn't have to worry to much about getting hurt in there. However, MMA is much harder.

Is Mayorga really training for this or is it a publicity stunt?

Jack

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Feb 26 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #18

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,400

I think some of you "experts" are using some big genaralizations when you say "any boxer would get waxed in a MMA fight" or vice versa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . The fact is that you are overlooking the natural talent and experience that the boxer or MM artist may have. Kermit Cintron might do well in MMA, the dude has better stand up than 80 percent of MMA guys and he knows how to stuff takedowns (high school wrestler before he boxed)so he can control the action in fights. Do I think that he could transition and take on the BJ Penn's in the world.............Hell no. But I could see him being succesful against a guy like Joe Stevenson, why not?

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Feb 26 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #19

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 06:17 AM) *

That's impossible... Toney doesn't have a neck.

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Feb 26 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #20

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 03:18 AM) *
Haha, your dad sounds like mine. The old man didn't teach me much, but he did give me one little doozey that I've carried with me all my days. "If you can't win, get a weapon." The old man didn't abide losing. Under any circumstances.

My brother worked with my dad until he retired to a 200 acre farm. He tells the story of a day he was riding with him (my dad insisted on driving, which is another story) and they stopped for gas. My brother doesn't know why, but when he came out from paying, this bear of a young dude is towering over the old man (5'6", and 60ish) talking shit as my dad replaced the gas nozzle.

My brother gets there as my dad calmly takes off his glasses, looks up into the younger man's eyes and says, "you had a long life ahead of you."

And the big ass dude started laughing nervously as he backed away. The last thing the punk said as he got to his door to drive away was, "that old man is nuts."

That is true.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 11:07 AM