IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mayorga in MMA, What do ya all think??
Warlord
post Feb 26 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #21

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 26 2010, 08:04 AM) *
I think some of you "experts" are using some big genaralizations when you say "any boxer would get waxed in a MMA fight" or vice versa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) . The fact is that you are overlooking the natural talent and experience that the boxer or MM artist may have. Kermit Cintron might do well in MMA, the dude has better stand up than 80 percent of MMA guys and he knows how to stuff takedowns (high school wrestler before he boxed)so he can control the action in fights. Do I think that he could transition and take on the BJ Penn's in the world.............Hell no. But I could see him being succesful against a guy like Joe Stevenson, why not?

How would Kermit the Frog do against "Nick Sanchez?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Feb 26 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #22

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

I reckon vitor belfort could do well in boxing simply because of his physical attributes. Blistering speed and power in his hands make him a difficult opponent for anyone

He's a rarity, most MMA fighters would struggle badly. But i think Vitor could clear out B class boxers, and have a punchers chance vs A class boxers in his weight range.

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Feb 27 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #23

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 10:37 PM) *
How would Kermit the Frog do against "Nick Sanchez?"

I figure Kermit would do great if he sticks to his "Principles" because "Nick Sanchez" doesn't exist.

+Quote Post
Douchebag
post Feb 27 2010, 06:23 AM
Post #24

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 6,400

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Feb 26 2010, 11:49 PM) *
I reckon vitor belfort could do well in boxing simply because of his physical attributes. Blistering speed and power in his hands make him a difficult opponent for anyone

He's a rarity, most MMA fighters would struggle badly. But i think Vitor could clear out B class boxers, and have a punchers chance vs A class boxers in his weight range.

Exactly, there are exceptions on both sides of the equation.

This post has been edited by The Conscience: Feb 27 2010, 06:24 AM

+Quote Post
BigG
post Feb 27 2010, 02:59 PM
Post #25

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Mayorga has been talking about this for a while I'm sure he got some trainers to teach him to grapple.

+Quote Post
OaktownGhost
post Feb 27 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #26

Amateur

Member No.: 10,789

QUOTE (BigG @ Feb 27 2010, 11:59 AM) *
Mayorga has been talking about this for a while I'm sure he got some trainers to teach him to grapple.

I thought he was going to fight against El Perro last year?

Is he still going to box?

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Feb 27 2010, 11:50 PM
Post #27

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 27 2010, 06:22 AM) *
I figure Kermit would do great if he sticks to his "Principles" because "Nick Sanchez" doesn't exist.

My point exactly. Now go edit your post in the MMA section where you erroneously referred to Nick Diaz as "Nick Sanchez."

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 5 2010, 10:28 AM) *
I really don't know much about about Gomi except that he has loss to Nick Sanchez and apparently it was an upset.

And after you do that, go reread my post in this topic.

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 06:00 AM) *
There ain't no MMA fighter serious about going to boxing, because they'd get WAXED if they did.

Now look at your asinine post.

QUOTE (The Conscience @ Feb 26 2010, 09:04 AM) *
I think some of you "experts" are using some big genaralizations when you say "any boxer would get waxed in a MMA fight."

Now read my post. Again.

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 26 2010, 06:00 AM) *
There ain't no MMA fighter serious about going to boxing, because they'd get WAXED if they did.

Now don't you feel dumb?

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Feb 28 2010, 05:00 PM
Post #28

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 27 2010, 11:50 PM) *
My point exactly. Now go edit your post in the MMA section where you erroneously referred to Nick Diaz as "Nick Sanchez."
And after you do that, go reread my post in this topic.
Now look at your asinine post.
Now read my post. Again.
Now don't you feel dumb?

A boxer would convert to MMA a lot easier than a MMA guy to boxing..Boxers master their hands and go into MMA with one aspect mastered..That aspect is also how every fight starts,on your feet..This is my opinion as I've said it before..

This post has been edited by JonnyBlaze: Feb 28 2010, 05:01 PM

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Feb 28 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #29

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Feb 28 2010, 05:00 PM) *
A boxer would convert to MMA a lot easier than a MMA guy to boxing..Boxers master their hands and go into MMA with one aspect mastered..That aspect is also how every fight starts,on your feet..This is my opinion as I've said it before..

I disagree Johnny, and here's why. A boxer who converts to MMA only has one tiny fraction of the essential skillset required to compete in that sport. All the standup in the world won't help you on the ground. It won't help you escape submissions. It won't help you check leg kicks. Nothing.

Bas Rutten was once on some documentary for Discovery (along with Randy Cotoure and several others), and he had his punching power measured by a computer similar to those used to conduct the force generated during car crashes. Anyway, his punching power ranked above the average heavyweight boxers, and equaled the power of top-flight punchers.

One of the analysts noted Bas's akward stance, and found it strange because it didn't match the stance of a pro boxer's. Bas responded that pro boxing stances don't work in MMA, as a general rule. Here are the reasons why:

1.) A traditional boxing stance has changed little over the years. A fighter leads with either his left or right foot out front. With his hands held so high, he is susceptible to leg kicks. He can never check them. (This is why Kazushi Sakuraba was able to beat pro-boxer Rubin Williams in a standup fight, before taking him to the ground and submitting him. It is also why Shogun Rua was able to decimate Lyoto Machida in their first fight. Machida's not a boxer, but his karate stance resembles that of a traditional boxer, except that his hands are generally a little lower. This allowed Shogun to chop away at his legs for 5 grueling rounds. )

2.) Bas noted that as an offensive fighter, and especially as a defensive fighter or counter striker, a mixed martial artists has about a tenth of a second to process his opponent's offensive action, and less than that to decide what he himself will do in return. Is he going to throw a left straight, left hook, right straight, right hook, left front kick, left sidekick, left high kick, left low kick, left roundhouse, right front kick, right sidekick, right high kick, right low kick, right roundhouse; will he attempt to initiate a clinch, in the clinch will he fire a left knee or right knee; will I have to counter that clinch or will I try to catch his knee coming in; will he shoot for a takedown or is it a fake?

All of these things are JUST related to standup. The ground-game is a COMPLETELY different animal. No pro boxer in the world is ready for this. These skills are not natural, they are learned. And before some dipshit comes in talking about, "Oh, well maybe this boxer wrestled in high school." STFU.

High-school wrestling MAY improve your takedown abilities. Yes. But it wont help you do anything once you're on the ground. It won't help you defend submissions. No matter who you are, you must respect the Martial Arts portion of Mixed Martial Arts. High school wrestling ain't enough. Look at guys like Matt Hughes, Mark Kerr, Mark Coleman, Kevin Randleman, etc... They were all world class wrestlers, and they are no longer relevant to the sport. Why? Because wrestling was all they had, and the game passed them by.

What do fighters like Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort have to do to cross over into boxing? They have to drop a majority of their fight game, and focus on their stand-up. Period.

Theoretically, which one sounds easier to you?

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Feb 28 2010, 11:35 PM
Post #30

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

QUOTE (Warlord @ Feb 28 2010, 10:30 PM) *
What do fighters like Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort have to do to cross over into boxing? They have to drop a majority of their fight game, and focus on their stand-up. Period.

Theoretically, which one sounds easier to you?

That's a gross generalization. I was with you until that point.

You could break down the angles of a boxing attack just as far as you did for an MMA fighter. To say that preparing to transition to boxing is as simple as "focus on their stand-up", is just as ridiculous as saying that converting to MMA is as easy as "focusing on your ground game".

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 04:58 AM