IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@8:30 PM (CST) SPOILERS@8:45:Alexander vs. Urango, All Comments Here: (No Duplicate or New Spoiler Threads)
blackbelt2003
post Mar 12 2010, 12:00 PM
Post #41

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 84

QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 9 2010, 09:50 PM) *
Well he was impressive for what it was. What do you expect from him? He is like 22, with 20 fights, did you want him to step up and fight Floyd Mayweather or something?
He is young, he fought a solid fighter that isn't great, but solid enough and good enough competition for where Alexander is at and he was impressive in doing it and that is all. By the sounds of it, you seem to have expected this guy in his early 20's with 20 fights under his belt to go on and beat Floyd Mayweather or someone. He is young and still inexperienced, I think you have expectations to high for him.

Yeah, in two world title fights he's beat Junior Witter and Juan Urango. That's pretty good going for a kid who a year ago nobody hardly knew. He's now one fight away from being undisputed 140 champion (if he can ever get Khan in a ring), is being talked about as the best opponent for p4p entrant Tim Bradley, and he's still only 22.

Far from being safely matched, I'd say that's good going, if you compare it to other 22 year olds in the game.

Black
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Mar 12 2010, 01:40 PM
Post #42

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

Again, I was impressed. The expectations were for him to outbox Urango but he did that and more. Alexander has now beaten an old Corley (but impressively), made the awkward Witter quit and now knocked out a block of stone in Urango. I think 1 or 2 more high profile fights and he should fight Bradley. Bradley is older and more experienced but there really isn't that much of a difference in terms of their competition, the only difference is that Bradley has beaten Cherry, Holt and Peterson.

I was very impressed with Bradley's win over Peterson (whom I think will once be a champion himself) but he's not invincible. Kendall Holt, a very good fighter, gave Bradley a competitive night and I think Alexander has already shown more promise than Holt whose flaws include his chin and lack of activity.

+Quote Post
KENSOFINE
post Mar 12 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #43

Super Flyweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,591

I disagree. I get what most of you are saying, but the consensus seems to be explaining why he is mediocre. "He's still young". "He was unknown a year ago" . "You expect him to fight Mayweather". I am stating that he is just mediocre, and saying he is ANYWHERE NEAR the league of Timothy Bradley is absurd. He would get (and please feel free to quote me) DESTROYED by Bradley. With ease. He is a slightly less significant Corey Spinks. I think most of the top 5 in his class would either beat him convincingly, or at least make it a fight for which he would not welcome a rematch. I just dont see the hype.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Mar 12 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #44

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

QUOTE (KENSOFINE @ Mar 12 2010, 04:37 PM) *
I disagree. I get what most of you are saying, but the consensus seems to be explaining why he is mediocre. "He's still young". "He was unknown a year ago" . "You expect him to fight Mayweather". I am stating that he is just mediocre, and saying he is ANYWHERE NEAR the league of Timothy Bradley is absurd. He would get (and please feel free to quote me) DESTROYED by Bradley. With ease. He is a slightly less significant Corey Spinks. I think most of the top 5 in his class would either beat him convincingly, or at least make it a fight for which he would not welcome a rematch. I just dont see the hype.

I understand some might say that Corley was shot, Witter had no heart and that Urango was noting but a one dimensional plodder but to say that Alexander is "mediocre" is not exaclty accurate either. He is receiving praise for scoring a knockout, as any fighter often does but I think most people in this forum know when a fighter has talent and skill and when they are only mediocre. Alexander has shown poise, timing, skill and physical talent. Now if you want to criticize the fact that he barks like a chihuaha everytime he throws a punch, I won't argue with you.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 11:42 PM