Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PPV Buys, Pac Vs Clottey
D-MARV
post Mar 23 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #1

Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,540

According to Sports Business Daily, the Manny Pacquiao vs. Joshua Clottey HBO pay-per-view registered 700,000 pay-per-view buys with $35.3 million dollars in revenue. A crowd of nearly 51,000 boxing fans turned out to watch Pacquiao retain his WBO welterweight title by dominating Clottey for a twelve round decision at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg was very pleased with the number. He expected around 500,000-600,000 buys.

“We didn’t think Manny could carry the load to this degree. He’s attracting more than just the hardcore boxing fan," Greenburg.

That is great for no 24/7 and no dance partner.

Mayweather-Mosley will DESTROY that number... My guess is they come close to 2 million!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 23 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

Agreed, on one hand it is very impressive given the overall lack of interest in the fight and no 24/7, on the other hand it will given Floyd a stronger position at the negotiation table as PBF/Mosley is sure to smash this number.

In some ways it only probably makes a fight between the 2 (PBF/Pac) more unlikely given Arum is not going to move from his 50/50 shared purse stance should they decide to fight.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Mar 23 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #3

Heavyweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 23 2010, 06:39 PM) *
Agreed, on one hand it is very impressive given the overall lack of interest in the fight and no 24/7, on the other hand it will given Floyd a stronger position at the negotiation table as PBF/Mosley is sure to smash this number.

In some ways it only probably makes a fight between the 2 (PBF/Pac) more unlikely given Arum is not going to move from his 50/50 shared purse stance should they decide to fight.

I think a fair measuring tool would be to compare Pacquiao-Cotto and Mayweather-Mosley... If Mayweather-Mosley crushes that number then that should tell us where they stand as far as drawing power. Cotto is a bigger star than Mosley so that actually gives Pac a slight advantage.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Mar 23 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #4

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 23 2010, 10:39 PM) *
Agreed, on one hand it is very impressive given the overall lack of interest in the fight and no 24/7.

Agreed. Given the lack of promotion, that's a very impressive number.

+Quote Post
d843
post Mar 23 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #5

Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,697

QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 23 2010, 05:31 PM) *
That is great for no 24/7 and no dance partner.

Mayweather-Mosley will DESTROY that number... My guess is they come close to 2 million!
Oh yes,most definitely,I say triple it!

+Quote Post
Provo209
post Mar 23 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Strawweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,721

QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 23 2010, 02:44 PM) *
I think a fair measuring tool would be to compare Pacquiao-Cotto and Mayweather-Mosley... If Mayweather-Mosley crushes that number then that should tell us where they stand as far as drawing power. Cotto is a bigger star than Mosley so that actually gives Pac a slight advantage.

What did Pac,Cotto do ? I forgot . Regardless though I think Floyd ,Shane does big numbers guys at work are coming up 2 me pumped about this and I've never knew they watched boxing..LOL

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Mar 23 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (StyleZ @ Mar 23 2010, 06:44 PM) *

I think there is more ' heat' on this one than Pac-Cotto. For one it is a GBP fight and BO are right up their ass when it comes to promoting their fights.

Secondly Mayweather has gotten a heap of free press over this drug testing fiasco with Pac and thus I think this has parlayed into his fight with Shane. This baby definately has got more legs and I wouldn't be surprised to see it push Oscar/PBF for numbers.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Mar 23 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #8

Heavyweight

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Mar 23 2010, 10:38 PM) *
I think there is more ' heat' on this one than Pac-Cotto. For one it is a GBP fight and BO are right up their ass when it comes to promoting their fights.

Secondly Mayweather has gotten a heap of free press over this drug testing fiasco with Pac and thus I think this has parlayed into his fight with Shane. This baby definately has got more legs and I wouldn't be surprised to see it push Oscar/PBF for numbers.

Oh I agree with you... But let's not act like Pacquiao didn't get any free press from this drug testing fiasco. My father (casual fan) wanted to see the Pac fight last week because he wanted to see how he looked physically. If Mayweather-Mosley pushes Floyd-De La Hoya for PPV numbers then Pacquiao can forget about 50-50 and rightfully so.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Mar 23 2010, 10:00 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

Another factor which might help Mayweather-Molsey is the fact that the buzz that non boxing fans are getting is that Mosley is no joke and they saw him confront Mayweather after the Marquez fight, so this confidence that boxing fans have on Mosley is trickling down towards non-boxing fans, or as I call them Infidels. He he he.

Regardless I think Mayweather wins this one easy on the scorecards. He mifhgt get thumped up a bit but he should be comfortably ahead after the 10th.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Mar 23 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #10

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

HA!

I called it! 700-800K. NICE.

The POWER of THE Pacquiao strikes again!

MABUHAY BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(IMG:http://www.fighthype.com/woooooooo/mabuhaybitches.jpg)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 04:57 AM