Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PPV Buys, Pac Vs Clottey
MarzB
post Mar 23 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #11

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

Another factor which might help Mayweather-Molsey is the fact that the buzz that non boxing fans

That more than 24/7 will help along with the sponsors they have. That said, 700K is a GREAT number with or without a "24/7" which I think gets too much credit for promoting fights. It's a great vehicle but it would be even more effective if it wasn't relegated strictly to HBO subscribers.

The people that I know that watch "24/7s" religiously are already boxing fans.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thehype
post Mar 23 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #12

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 23 2010, 11:00 PM) *
Another factor which might help Mayweather-Molsey is the fact that the buzz that non boxing fans are getting is that Mosley is no joke and they saw him confront Mayweather after the Marquez fight, so this confidence that boxing fans have on Mosley is trickling down towards non-boxing fans, or as I call them Infidels. He he he.

Regardless I think Mayweather wins this one easy on the scorecards. He mifhgt get thumped up a bit but he should be comfortably ahead after the 10th.

Great call MMM.

I'll take it a step further...Mayweather TKO12!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

SHANE'S GOING DOWN BITCHES!!!!!!!! WE'LL SHAKE UP THE WORLD!!!!!!!!! WE'LL SHAKE UP THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm calling it! Mosley down from a body shot. CALLING IT!!!!!! Like a PROPHET BABY!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

And if I'm wrong, worst case scenario, Mayweather by WIDE UNANIMOUS DECISION. 9 rounds to 3...or something like that. EASY WORK!!!!!

Once that head starts snappin' back from those jabs, the jerry curl juice will fly and that back is gonna stiffen up....man, if he thought he had a monkey on his back when Winky was thumpin' him, he's in for a world of trouble against Mayweather, baby!

I'M ALL IN!!!!! IN FACT, FUCK IT, I'M THE FUCKIN' CONDUCTOR OF THE MAYWEATHER EXPRESS BABY!!!!! WOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

My bad...had to stir it up a little bit.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Mar 23 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #13

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (MarzB @ Mar 23 2010, 11:08 PM) *
Another factor which might help Mayweather-Molsey is the fact that the buzz that non boxing fans

That more than 24/7 will help along with the sponsors they have. That said, 700K is a GREAT number with or without a "24/7" which I think gets too much credit for promoting fights. It's a great vehicle but it would be even more effective if it wasn't relegated strictly to HBO subscribers.

The people that I know that watch "24/7s" religiously are already boxing fans.

Agreed about the 24/7...shit, I'M a freakin diehard boxing fan and sometimes, I even forget those damn things are coming on. LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching them, but for some reason, I just don't think the INFIDELS are sitting around and waiting for those 24/7 shows to come on.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Mar 23 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #14

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 23 2010, 11:14 PM) *
Marz, I don't think people are overrating the influence of 24/7.

Guys like Tyson and DLH are more known and marketable than guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao, though why are the numbers working in there favour over something? If it's not 24/7, it has to be some other kind of promotion. I just don't think Mayweather and Pacquiao are as big as Tyson and DLH, though in recent times, numbers say otherwise.
If you believe they are more recognised than Tyson and DLH, we may have to just agree to disagree, but for me I think the 24/7 series has been a big contribution.

Oh, don't get me wrong Fitz, I also agree that they DEFINITELY help, since, at the very least, they serve as a 30-minute commercial sprinkled on HBO throughout the weeks leading up to the fight....a nice reminder to the INFIDELS that a big fight is coming up. I just don't think they help in a sense where it would take a 700,000 buy event and turn it into a 1.25 million buy event. I don't think it's helping like that. For example, even if they had a 24/7 for Pacquiao vs. Clottey, yeah, I think it would have done more buys, but only like 800,000...maybe 850,000 tops...maybe not even that. Keep in mind that they DID do a 24/7 for Pacquiao vs. Hatton, and that only generated 800,000 buys. Even if you stick a camera in Joshua Clottey's face for every episode, I just don't think he would have enticed the INFIDELS to buy it. I just don't think they would have viewed it as a BIG event because, even with 4 episodes of 24/7, they're still not going to know who the fuck Joshua Clottey is...and if they continued to show footage of some of his past fights, that might even turn off some INFIDELS. LOL. I'm just saying it's not blowing the numbers off the roof. Mayweather vs. De La Hoya likely would have generated 2 million, or at least close to it, with or without the 24/7 in my opinion. I could be wrong...maybe it would have only done 1.5 million...but still, you kinda get what I'm saying. I think. LOL. I definitely don't think they're more recognized than Tyson or DLH...HOWEVER...the fact that they both fought and beat DLH, I think that helps A LOT. I mean, I wouldn't say that Buster Douglas is more recognized than Tyson, HOWEVER, a whole LOT of motherfuckers know who Buster Douglas is because he beat Mike Tyson. Ya know?

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Mar 23 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #15

The Prime Minista

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,850

They had a "Face-Off" for this fight...what else do you want?

+Quote Post
Romulus9
post Mar 23 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #16

Formerly wvu8893

Member No.: 2,334

HBO replaying any Clottey fight before the Pacquiao-Clottey fight probably hurt sales more than a 24/7 series for the fight would have helped.

How could ANYONE have watched Clottey before hand and expected him to do anything other than exactly what he did with Pacquiao? Anyone who had seen him fight in the past, be it against Cotto or anyone, knew EXACTLY what he'd do: cover up and look to counter. When the target fires and gets out quickly, there's not much for him to counter because he just doesn't have the tools to do it quickly.

24/7 would have had a marginal impact on Pac-Clottey sales, IMO. Clottey wasn't well-known, and the more that people found out about him, the less inviting the $50 PVP became. AT BEST, it didn't help OR hurt.

People want Pacquiao-Mayweather. No question

What many, many, many people want, both boxing fans and many casual fans who rarely watch anything other than a big fight... is to see Mayweather humbled. That's what helps drive sales. Many people watch Pacqiuao for excitement, and watch Mayweather hoping he gets starched.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Mar 23 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #17

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Mar 23 2010, 11:36 PM) *
What many, many, many people want, both boxing fans and many casual fans who rarely watch anything other than a big fight... is to see Mayweather humbled. That's what helps drive sales. Many people watch Pacqiuao for excitement, and watch Mayweather hoping he gets starched.

Agreed. I mean, there's nothing wrong with watching for either reason, but I think some people get WAY too emotional when it comes to which side they're backing. LOL.

It's always nice to have a good villain.

+Quote Post
Provo209
post Mar 23 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #18

Strawweight

Member No.: 10,721

QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 23 2010, 07:10 PM) *
Great call MMM.

I'll take it a step further...Mayweather TKO12!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

SHANE'S GOING DOWN BITCHES!!!!!!!! WE'LL SHAKE UP THE WORLD!!!!!!!!! WE'LL SHAKE UP THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm calling it! Mosley down from a body shot. CALLING IT!!!!!! Like a PROPHET BABY!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

And if I'm wrong, worst case scenario, Mayweather by WIDE UNANIMOUS DECISION. 9 rounds to 3...or something like that. EASY WORK!!!!!

Once that head starts snappin' back from those jabs, the jerry curl juice will fly and that back is gonna stiffen up....man, if he thought he had a monkey on his back when Winky was thumpin' him, he's in for a world of trouble against Mayweather, baby!

I'M ALL IN!!!!! IN FACT, FUCK IT, I'M THE FUCKIN' CONDUCTOR OF THE MAYWEATHER EXPRESS BABY!!!!! WOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.

Damn Hype u got me Pumped" LOL man im ready for May 1st .I see Floyd stopping Shane, late as well.ShaMes going to get his ass skooled.he's already beat mentally and I think Floyd knows that...

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Mar 23 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #19

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

Floyd stopping Shane late. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Easy work for Floyd. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Fuck...there is not enough of those damn smileys to show how ridiculous those statements are. Jhug said the same shit a bit back, then he pussed out and just wanted a straight up bet for the winner.

Mayweather is getting KTFO!!!

This post has been edited by Lil-lightsout: Mar 23 2010, 11:26 PM

+Quote Post
Romulus9
post Mar 23 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #20

Formerly wvu8893

Member No.: 2,334

QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 23 2010, 11:47 PM) *
Agreed. I mean, there's nothing wrong with watching for either reason, but I think some people get WAY too emotional when it comes to which side they're backing. LOL.

It's always nice to have a good villain.

Always.

Some hated Ali. Some loved Ali. Common ground? They all watched Ali. It has been true for years and years and will always be true. The Yankees. Notre Dame. The Celtics. Whoever. It's true in boxing, in sports, in fiction, in life. With no villains, there are no heroes. There's no good versus evil with one side missing.

Rivalry is good for business, especially in sport an, within sport, especially in boxing.

I'd love to see Mosley destroy Mayweather. I'd play the DVD on a 24-hour loop for at least a week on one TV in my house. What I want more is a great fight that lives up to the [fight]hype and leaves the SPORTS world talking for a while. That's what we need, and it's bigger than what Mayweather lovers or haters 'want'.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 08:31 PM