IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Benny Leonard vs. Roberto Duran, Who wins and why??
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 2 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #1

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

What do ya all think??

I think Benny would outbox Duran and not let Duran catch him..Duran was a great boxer but Arcel himself even said Benny would win this..Benny and Tommy Loughran in my opinion are the 2 boxers who had the best balance in boxing..Benny said he'd go to amateur fights just to see if a fighter would do something on accident or purpose that he could add to his fight game..Anyway,I'd pick Benny by decision..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 2 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

The problem I always have with mythical match-ups like this the footage on Leonard is (certainly in my experience) rather limited whereas Duran's reel is a lot more warts and all.

Then you have to kinda fall back on stats. I dunno. Maybe you've seen a lot more better close-up footage of Leonard than I have.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Apr 2 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #3

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Apr 2 2010, 03:46 PM) *
What do ya all think??

I think Benny would outbox Duran and not let Duran catch him..Duran was a great boxer but Arcel himself even said Benny would win this..Benny and Tommy Loughran in my opinion are the 2 boxers who had the best balance in boxing..Benny said he'd go to amateur fights just to see if a fighter would do something on accident or purpose that he could add to his fight game..Anyway,I'd pick Benny by decision..

i 100% agree with you benny leonard was a silky smooth slick fighter that in his prime was virtually untouchable.... great fighter...

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Apr 2 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #4

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

It depends what type of fight is fought. If it a trench fight I certainly favour Duran but if Leonard kept it at a distance & used his superb lateral movement & jab it would favour Leonard especially after Duran started getting frustrated. This is a genuine 50/50 but I would give the slight edge to Leonard due to his legendary boxing brain.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Apr 3 2010, 03:10 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

I've said this before and i'll say it again no one beats a prime Duran at Lightweight.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Apr 5 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

Haven't seen much of Benny Leonard honestly. Will have to look at him more.

But I'm with kidbazooka in that when Duran was on and at his best, I would take him over any lightweight in the history of the game, and most WELTERWEIGHTS..

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Apr 5 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #7

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (PR316 @ Apr 5 2010, 06:01 PM) *
Haven't seen much of Benny Leonard honestly. Will have to look at him more.

But I'm with kidbazooka in that when Duran was on and at his best, I would take him over any lightweight in the history of the game, and most WELTERWEIGHTS..

That's why ya gotta check out Benny Leonard..Everyone knows and remembers Duran since there is a lot of film on him and he fought guys who were also great..Benny Leonard's era isn't much remembered since it is soooo long ago..Benny also had a lot of power due to his balance and natural power..Incase none of ya know,his record was 91 wins(71 KOs)-5 losses-1 draw..That's his offical record,not newspaper record(I don't trust too much)..He was KOd a couple times but that was in the very beginning of his career minus maybe 1..

I love em both but I gotta go with Arcel's opinion and say Leonard would beat Duran..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:22 AM