IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Board Seminar Question #2, The best answer(s) will go up on FightHype.com...
ROLL DEEP
post Apr 7 2010, 09:16 AM
Post #21

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,301

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 7 2010, 09:25 AM) *
You know damm well whats up Mr Deep with the Jones hate. Jones did unbelievable things in the ring & would have been a lot better had he learnt the fundamentals of the craft to fall back on when his natural assets started to fail. He didn't & therefore provided me with great enjoyment by being knocked out a few times.

Yeah, but you can't voice an objective opinion when your pupils have been riddled with the hate virus as yours have, Ste.

I agree that he didn't have the boxing fundamentals of the more normal, orthadox fighters and yeah, I agree that when they eroded he fell rapidly, but at his best when his assets were there, he was a hell of a fighter. Up there in the mix with the other GOATs.

As with a lot of fighters, his nut huggers go over board and his 'haters' discredit him too much, but in keeping with this thread, there have been other fighters more overrated then Jones as he actually was pretty fucking good.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Apr 7 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #22

Welterweight

Member No.: 2,078

None of you guys have been paying attention during these last ten years.

The most overrated fighter of the last decade?

Klitschko, either one.

Never have I seen a couple of guys get more mileage out of losing to an ATG fighter (Vitali) and feasting on a string of BUMs, STIFFs, Tomato Cans, No Hopers, and OLE men (Both Klitschkos). And what's with the lack of rematches? Byrd never got his rematch (with Vitali). Sanders never got his rematch. Brewster was allowed to get his rematch only after having *eye surgery* and having been off for nearly two years.

The Klistchko sisters are the biggest joke in boxing, period. Even HBO, who created the Klitschko joke in the first place, has jumped off the band wagon.

This post has been edited by Nay_Sayer: Apr 7 2010, 09:45 AM

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Apr 7 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #23

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (thehype @ Apr 7 2010, 01:16 AM) *
I might seriously have to consider revoking your admin rights for this post.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I mean...seriously Jack...your "criticism" is only fueled by your hatred of the personality he puts on display, because honestly, that sounded like it came from a Pactard.

Just look at some of these statements:

Are you sure you're talking about Floyd? Sounds more like you're talking about Oscar De La Hoya or the Klitschkos or even Bernard Hopkins. Shit, what fighter DOESN'T look for the most money and the least risk? Do you think Vitali Klitschko's selection of Sosnowski is a LEAST MONEY-HIGH RISK fight? Was Jones really a HIGH RISK fight for Hopkins? Hell, was Ornelas for that matter? Even Manny Pacquiao...do you REALLY believe that he decided to pass on Yuri Foreman and an uprecedented 8TH WORLD TITLE IN 8 DIVISIONS simply because he felt Joshua Clottey was the HIGH RISK? LOL. Man, I thought you understood the sport better than that. I mean, come on, Floyd moved up to 154 to fight De La Hoya...don't make it sound like that wasn't a risk. Floyd fought the undefeated Ricky Hatton...don't make it sound like that wasn't a risk (if it was a risk for Pacquiao, it should be a risk for Floyd too). Hell, 3-4 years ago, you and a lot of people were talking about how Floyd isn't a natural welterweight...he's too small...blah, blah, blah...now all of a sudden he's a guy fighting boxers who are "one-two divisions smaller than he is"? Man, cut it out! That's not Floyd Mayweather. He fought one guy...ONE GUY...Marquez, in a freakin' tune-up after a 16-month layoff. That's the ONLY guy that he's fought smaller than him. And don't even try to cry about Ricky Fatton's ass either...YOU guys wanted the fight and there were no complaints at all when Hatton moved up to fight him. Come to think of it, Floyd was the one moving up in weight before it got so popular. He moved up to 135 and fought Castillo...a HIGH RISK fight. In fact, he MOVED UP to 140 AND 147...so why you think he's been fighting all of these guys that are smaller than him is totally beyond me. I assume that's the hatred of his personality slipping out of you because if you're just looking at the facts, that's simply not true. Like I said, the ONLY guy you can point to is Marquez, but man, that fight was no different than Hopkins handpicking Ornelas for a tune-up, so the cut the man some slack. Now he's fighting Mosley, which I'm sure a lot of you probably agree is a HIGH RISK fight...so how are you going to PRAISE Bernard Hopkins for fighting a tune-up in Ornelas and then a shot fighter in Jones, but shit on Floyd for coming back after a 16-month layoff to tune-up against a top 3 P4P fighter and then take on the man at welterweight? I mean, SERIOULSY??? Man...Jack...say it ain't so.

"just as much criticism for Floyd fighting boxers smaller than he, as there is praise for his natural boxing abilities."

Whaaaaaat?????

Man...now it's become CLEAR to me that you're DEFINITELY talking about Bernard Hopkins. I mean, after all, when he's got Felix Trinidad, Oscar De La Hoya, Winky Wright, Joe Calzaghe and Kelly Pavlik, it's pretty obvious that HE'S the one "Fighting boxers one-two divisions smaller than he is."

I hate to slap around one of my favorite admins, but damn...the pimp hand had to come out strong on that one.

SHHHHHHHMACK!

You speaketh blasphemy!

LOL!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Wow!!!! Shit that was SOME Rebuttal post!!!!!!

THIS THREAD'S ALIVE!!!!!! ALIVE!!!!!!!!

Jack

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 7 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #24

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Funny, Cuz Hopkins weighed in less than Trinidad, he weighed in at 157 for DLH, Wright walks around at 190, and Calzaghe was at ZERO weight/size disadvantage. Calzaghe had been DYING to move up to Lt Hvy. Thats no secret. The weights Hopkins came in at vs Trinidad, DLH, if he was so much bigger, surely coming it at 157 1/2 vs Trinidad would have drained the FUCK out of him, as all you were proclaiming before the fight. And he was walking around at 154 the week of the DLH fight, so again, if he was SOOO much bigger, you'd think walking around at 154 would have KILLED him.

PS - ADD the Klitchko's to the Most Overrated. THEY SUCK and they fight NOBODIES! That game of Patty-Cake baby brother played against that one Russian should have warranted his license be revoked.

PPS - A lot of those bums Jones fight he CHOSE to fight. They were NOT mandatories.

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Apr 7 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #25

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,304

Because his BS charade as a HW is getting close to a decade and by the front page of this very website every other day, which seems to show that there is no end in sight....I'm going to say James Toney!

NOW...I am in no way going to say that James Toney as a whole is overrated, we all are very aware of his accomplishments in the lighter divisions. My questioning of JT's greatness is with his career as a heavyweight.

People in the boxing community and on this site attempt to give James Toney credit as being the sole fighter than can take out the Klits and unify the HW titles......BASED ON WHAT?

This is a CLEAR case of people being blinded by a fighters former luster. Any rational person that has watched James as a HW should not be impressed....and for sure should not see him as the potential to end the dredful rule of the Twin Champs.

YET....James Toney is consistantly mentioned as the fighter to beat one or both Klits as well as Haye.

When people come to this notion....I think they are seeing fond memories of the dramatic one punch KO of Prince Charles Williams in the 12th round.....YET...they are totally forgetting much of what we have all actually seen at HW.

Here is a rundown of JT's HW career.

It started off GREAT....with a beautiful TKO of a well past his prime...yet still very able Evander Holyfield. I have to admit, this fight had me believing as well....never had I seen such a profound body attack...nor had Evander...things looked good.

Then it all went downhill.

He won a BORING UD over the little known Ridell Booker.

Recieved a UD win over the often sited WORST Champ in Ruiz, but due to steroids being found in his blood stream this fight was changed to a NC and Toney was stripped of his HW title. No matter if you think we could have won with or without drugs is not the issue. The man tested positive and was stripped and the W was taken away.

Then came the BORING UD win over the lackluster Dominick Guinn

Then came the draw with Rahman with their second fight earning JT yet another NC.

Between those fights were the two back to back losses to Sam Peter, a decent but far from spectacular HW fighter himself.

He then gets a BORING UD against Danny Bachelder, a guy that was beaten by Lance Whitiker, Lamon Brewster and a thrid guy since that fight. Bacheldor is 3-7 in last 10 fights including the Toney loss.

He then gets a controversial win over Fres Oquendo, which many believed he actually lost.

He then polishes this turd of a career even more...with FINALLY a KO win over Matthew Greer...a guy that has lost his last 3 fights, including a loss to Minto and Kevin Johnson.

So in retrospect....as a HW...James Toney's carrer record looks like this.

6-2-1-2 with 2 of those wins by KO.

If people want to believe that record is worthy of praising this guy and listing him as the last hope to rid the division of the Klits.....more power to them....but I myself can see past all of the mouthing and BS for what it is....a desparate attempt to milk $$ from a career LONG over.

In a prior thread I stated this and I'm quite proud to type it yet again. If this keeps up the one single thing that will be worthy of being at the Boxing HOF long after Toney passes will be his vocal chords. Put 'em in a big ole glass with formaldehyde and let people take it all in.

If JT's fists flew as fast as his mouth has the last 7 years.....he would be a legend in the HW division.

This post has been edited by BGv2.0: Apr 7 2010, 03:08 PM

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Apr 7 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 7 2010, 10:16 AM) *
I sort of agree with most of you and sort of dont. That 1 pound for Cotto could have made a huge difference, as was stated before the fight by the guys here who fight and understand about having to suck down weight. (I dont so I bowed to their knowledge)

I kinda agree with you about Manny not being overrated. But only amongst decent fans. You must surely agree that Manny is GROSSLY overrated by the casual fan. Some of the shit iv heard talked by people I know who take an occasional interest in the big fights has been fuckin ridiculous, and unfortunately, these are the people that a lot of the press pander to because they are the majority. I'v heard it stated that theres no way in hell Floyd will beat Manny. That sort of shit is perpetuated by people buying into misinformed hype and in Britain at least, boxing getting so few column inches that the writers report only the easy, obvious stuff.

Yeah but I just laugh under my breath at casual fans and then wait for there to be a big fight and take all their money when they bet heavy with me on the MEDIA favourite. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Trust me Lloyd once you've taken their money and then bitch slapped them in front of their lady they soon learn to shut up quick.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Apr 7 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #27

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

LMAO. Guys like Pacquiao, Mayweather, Jones and Hopkins are NOT the most overrated fighters of the last decade. These guys are all great, great fighters.

Come on, it's GOT TO BE JEFF LACY. (by the way, I may have been wrong about Roy's fight with him coming before Calzaghe. Too lazy to look it up)

RICKY HATTON is a good one too. He has one win of real note, against Tszyu, and the conditions of that fight were awfully dubious. Plus it was Tszyu's last fight, so you have to wonder how much he really had left mentally. Anybody questioning Pacman's wins over Morales or Barrera has to doubly question Hatton's win over KT.

ZAB JUDAH is another one. This guy still gets a little shine, and his career is fucking garbage when you look at it. One good win. Cory Spinks, who he also lost to.

The KLITSCHKO'S haven't beat anybody but in their defense, there hasn't really been anybody for them to beat.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Apr 7 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #28

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

I say it's Jeff Lacy. Even as an amateur, the guy couldn't fight someone that moved. Hell, Richard fucking Grant boxed the shit out of him on the lawn of the Playboy Mansion. That was the moment that everyone at the pro ranks knew the book on Jeff Lacy. It was only a matter of time until his management decided to cash out and feed him to the wolves.

Calzaghe, Taylor, Jones...career.

+Quote Post
Keith
post Apr 7 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #29

Welterweight

Member No.: 10,273

CEO,

Is it ok to email or pm you our response?

What's the deadline?

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Apr 7 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #30

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

QUOTE (Keith @ Apr 7 2010, 06:47 PM) *
CEO,

Is it ok to email or pm you our response?

What's the deadline?

Look at Keith trying to stand out from the crowd...lol...Mr. "I don't want to get lost in the shuffle".

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 12:53 PM