Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bernard Hopkins Lashes out at Golden Boy Promotions
JD
post Apr 8 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #1

First Ballot

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,262

Hopkins seems to be a little pissed off with his colleagues at GBP and he wants it to be known that he is not under contract with them...in fact, he is willing to hear offers:

“These motherfuggers want me out,” Hopkins said Thursday afternoon. “They are trying to stop me from working. They all want me out of the way, it’s their agenda against me.

“I will fight the system like I always have. I will fight the system and I love it. They all want to push me out of the way, to throw me in the same (professional) grave that Roy Jones is in now. Are we playing some games here? You know how the game works and so do I.”

He goes on to say...

“Put it out there, Mike, I am looking for any and all legitimate offers. I have not been under contract to Golden Boy since before the Pavlik fight. Shane Mosley (fighting Floyd Mayweather on May 1 under the GBP banner) is not under contract to Golden Boy, either."

Not sure what to make of this...or what is going to come of it, but the link is below...

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-Boxing-Exam...to-boxing-grave
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KookedKrack
post Apr 8 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,468

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shok.gif) The plot thickens......

I thought all of them each owned a piece of Golden boy or some shit?

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Apr 8 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

QUOTE (JD @ Apr 8 2010, 04:54 PM) *
Hopkins seems to be a little pissed off with his colleagues at GBP and he wants it to be known that he is not under contract with them...in fact, he is willing to hear offers:

“These motherfuggers want me out,” Hopkins said Thursday afternoon. “They are trying to stop me from working. They all want me out of the way, it’s their agenda against me.

“I will fight the system like I always have. I will fight the system and I love it. They all want to push me out of the way, to throw me in the same (professional) grave that Roy Jones is in now. Are we playing some games here? You know how the game works and so do I.”

He goes on to say...

“Put it out there, Mike, I am looking for any and all legitimate offers. I have not been under contract to Golden Boy since before the Pavlik fight. Shane Mosley (fighting Floyd Mayweather on May 1 under the GBP banner) is not under contract to Golden Boy, either."

Not sure what to make of this...or what is going to come of it, but the link is below...

http://www.examiner.com/x-5699-Boxing-Exam...to-boxing-grave

This really is a week for GBP's true colours to get run up the flagpole. Not a good look for them either. They are shortly going to lose their reputation as the fighters promotional company (if not already) and become the same greedy 2 faced scum that Arum is

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 8 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,253

A few guys already bolted, including MAB, among others (Wright bolted too, didnt he?)...

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Apr 8 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

Man, GBP is against the ropes this week.

Like KK, I thought him and Oscar had shares or something in it?

+Quote Post
MarzB
post Apr 8 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

I've been one of the most vocal critics about the PSEUDO Golden Boy alliance (first Barrera later replaced with Marquez, Hop and Mos) that it's all more about "SHOW" than what actually was. If I recall correctly the original structure (can't believe I remember this) was;

Barrera = developing a presence for Mexican boxers
Hopkins = Golden Boy East
Mosley = Amateur Development

Atleast Hopkins can say in his 6 years with GBP, he's done two shows because Shane and Barrera did absolutely nothing. But now to the present. I don't think it's GBPs fault about Hopkins or Mosley frankly.

They may not have had a loud voice or the voice they've EACH proclaimed they've had in the media (about being part owners) but the fact is THEY HAD a voice. As money hungry as GBP is, trust me if they each brought ANYTHING lucrative to the table, it would have been considered.

They unlike most people don't have to go through a series of MIDDLE MEN to speak with "THE MAN"(Schaefer or DLH whomever you want to believe who runs the show).

It's real hypocritical for Hopkins to come out in PUBLIC and say this when he's been the beneficiary of all the visible things Golden Boy does. If I were Schaefer and DLH, I'd say "adios" to him.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Apr 8 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #7

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

Good....although I doubt this will ultimately change anything or free us of them.

Man...I wish I had Bill Gates money...I would buy GBP just to liquidate it....pay 100 million and step...let it die.

+Quote Post
MarzB
post Apr 8 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,494

Let me say this about GBP. I'm not sure how it came to be (whether it was Richard that approached Oscar or vice versa) but you have to give them credit in pretty much being the #1 or #2 (however you see it ) promotional company in the boxing business.

They're definitely above Don King Productions. It seems to me from the outside looking in (and this makes me think the company is more Richard's creation than Oscar's) that they leveraged Oscar's cozy relationship with HBO to serve as their platform. Shady but extremely smart. I think HBO has double the subscribers of Showtime right?

Anyone have any thoughts, opinions into that??

+Quote Post
TRU
post Apr 8 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #9

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 10,474

Bernard Hopkins is a moron...

Through his association with GBP, he has gotten paid thousands if dollars to just show up for a few minutes at sponsor parties.

Yet... he STILL finds something to bitch about.

Amazing.

This break-up couldn't happen to two bigger idiots.

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 8 2010, 01:09 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,253

They ALL should have disassociated themselves the minute Goldie got caught in fishnets...which Richard Schaefer was rumored to have masterminded, by the way...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 10:50 AM