5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bernard Hopkins Lashes out at Golden Boy Promotions
Method
post Apr 8 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #31

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

Yeah, Tru, Hopkins was guaranteed a MIN of $750k, and the first $3.5M in rev (after costs). Jones gets the next $3.5, and then the rest split 50/50.

Rafael corroborates the arrangement in a piece he did yesterday.

They think at best the fight does ~ 100-120 PPV buys, but I have NO idea what that's based on. Could be less. Could it be more? Doubtful. In any case, I guess Ex would get his money, or damn near close, and Roy don't get dick. Ahahahaha. Shit makes me laugh every time I think about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Apr 8 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #32

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (Method @ Apr 8 2010, 04:11 PM) *
Nobody took more of a bath on the last fight than Jones...and I laugh about it.

Oh I laugh about it too. What comes around goes around. That deal Roy served Ruiz with was disgusting. Roy deserves to have the shit come right back at him. (Of course it was Ruiz so I laugh about that as well, but still.)

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 8 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #33

(Of course it was Ruiz so I laugh about that as well, but still.)

Ab so fucking lutely.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Apr 9 2010, 01:24 AM
Post #34

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

Their mission statement

Golden Boy Promotions strives to become the leading Boxing Promotional Company through integrity, honesty, hard work and determination. We want to offer promising young fighters a platform from which they can showcase their talents to a global audience and want to offer our viewers and fans high quality programming. Golden Boy Promotions is committed to recruiting, developing and retaining the best and brightest young fighters to help achieve our mission.

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Apr 9 2010, 02:48 AM
Post #35

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,301

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Apr 9 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Their mission statement

Pffffft. Obviously they have no recollection of writing that.

+Quote Post
LoneRyu
post Apr 9 2010, 03:55 AM
Post #36

Amateur

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,803

this guy needs to retire desperately

+Quote Post
JD
post Apr 9 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #37

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

Ticket sales were apparently so poor, they were giving them away upon check-in at the Mandalay Bay.

So I would assume that any of those tickets that were given away (or included) as part of check-in, could be considered "purchased".

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 9 2010, 08:41 AM
Post #38

Maybe they were giving them away at check-in on Sat, but not Fri.

+Quote Post
JD
post Apr 9 2010, 08:52 AM
Post #39

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

QUOTE (Method @ Apr 9 2010, 09:41 AM) *
Maybe they were giving them away at check-in on Sat, but not Fri.

Perhaps. Kim talked about it in his article on Monday...I will just paste the section...

PAPER HOUSE

Immediately after the end of the 12th round, there was a small chant of “REFUND! REFUND! REFUND!” started by a group of fans on the side of the arena that was sparsely attended (sparse as in, think about a New Jersey Nets game) that didn’t really last too long. Honestly, I don’t think their hearts were really into it and, besides, I think they just wanted to get the hell outta there as soon as they could.

But what popped into my mind was "These fools actually paid full price for these tickets?!" They may have been the only ones. The scuttlebutt throughout the industry was that, by the middle of last week, less than a 1,000 tickets were bought by the general public. The word on the weekend was that anyone who checked into the Mandalay Bay was being offered a pair of tickets to the fight (After what everyone witnessed on Saturday night, I think an extra mint on the pillow may have been a better deal).

The announced crowd was over 6,700 and the arena did fill in a bit by the time the main event started after the Final Four (which was a promise made by the promotion). But on the side of the arena where that chant started, you could’ve thrown hand-grenades into the stands and not had any casualties. Perhaps the only way you could’ve given away more tickets is to have attached vouchers for free iPads.

But what was really telling was that in walking around the Mandalay Bay on Friday night, it was probably the most tepid I had ever seen it since the Fernando Vargas-Shibata Flores fight, which was the first notable boxing event, post-9/11, in 2001. Honestly, it looked and felt like a Tuesday night, not the night before a supposedly big pay-per-view event. My question is this, outside of Golden Boy’s relationship with the MGM Mirage (which owns the MGM Grand and “The Bay”) was there any consideration of putting this fight in Atlantic City or somewhere on the East Coast, where both Hopkins and Jones live? Isn’t that where this promotion belonged, if anywhere?

Also, on fight night, I observed that not only were many notable writers absent, including Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports (who just happens to live in the city) but that this was the smallest looking press section I had ever seen for a pay-per-view in Las Vegas that didn’t have the words “Latin Fury” on it. In fact, I had notified the Golden Boy publicists just last week that I would be in town for this event (well, past the deadline set to send in your applications) and yet, I was still seated in Row B. To put that into perspective, usually I’m seated in row E or G.

But it turns out, I had a much better seat than that.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/main-lead/wh...happened-at-all

+Quote Post
Method
post Apr 9 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #40

Yeah, I checked in Fri and I had a 2000sq ft suite, and no, I wasn't offered free tix w that. Who knows. I also didn't get back to the Mandalay lobby until 4:30 AM Sat morning, but I spoke to S Kim, and he did say the scene in the lobby was dead Fri night.

There was a TON more going on for Calzags/Snags.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:15 AM