IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anybody else skeptical of Mayweather-Marquez doing 1 million PPV Buys?
Byrd Man
post Apr 9 2010, 05:29 PM
Post #21

Welterweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,422

QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 9 2010, 03:27 PM) *
I think the only thing that leads me to believe that 1 mill was true was the fact that I think it happened to be one of Twitter's top trending topics that weekend.

So it can INDEED be true, I'm just wondering...

that doesn't mean anything. That just means a shitload of people were on twitter repeating what they were told by the sources that released it.

So if May's people and GBP release and say "hey this fight did 1 million" then you have all the Floyd fans going at everyone else on twitter that doesn't care for him, throwing out the million dollar figure, and thus it'll get on the trending topics eventually.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TRU
post Apr 9 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #22

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,474

QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 9 2010, 05:29 PM) *
that doesn't mean anything. That just means a shitload of people were on twitter repeating what they were told by the sources that released it.

So if May's people and GBP release and say "hey this fight did 1 million" then you have all the Floyd fans going at everyone else on twitter that doesn't care for him, throwing out the million dollar figure, and thus it'll get on the trending topics eventually.

Nah... that ain't it.

I'm talking about Mayweather being a trending topic of discussion. That weekend.

Not the one million buy whatever announcement.

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Apr 9 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #23

Welterweight

QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 9 2010, 03:31 PM) *
Nah... that ain't it.

I'm talking about Mayweather being a trending topic of discussion. That weekend.

Not the one million buy whatever announcement.

But how is Mayweather being a trending topic any indication of whether or not that million dollar number was right or not? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the correlation.

It just means a lot of people were talking up Mayweather. He would OBVIOUSLY be a TT the weekend of the fight, seeing as how he was just coming back from his quick sabbatical, but if it was the following weekend when the numbers were released, as I said it could be chalked up to interest in the numbers, because a lot of people were wondering how big the fight would be, seeing as how he'd use those #'s to negotiate with Pac.

+Quote Post
TRU
post Apr 9 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #24

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Apr 9 2010, 05:35 PM) *
But how is Mayweather being a trending topic any indication of whether or not that million dollar number was right or not? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the correlation.

It just means a lot of people were talking up Mayweather. He would OBVIOUSLY be a TT the weekend of the fight, seeing as how he was just coming back from his quick sabbatical, but if it was the following weekend when the numbers were released, as I said it could be chalked up to interest in the numbers, because a lot of people were wondering how big the fight would be, seeing as how he'd use those #'s to negotiate with Pac.

Mayweather being a trending topic on twitter the weekend of the Marquez fight correlates because something needs to be pretty damn popular to show up in the list of top subjects tweeted about.

Just because a couple hundred boxing nuts tweet something doesn't make something a trending topic.

It needs to be bigger than that.

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Apr 9 2010, 06:11 PM
Post #25

Welterweight

QUOTE (TRU @ Apr 9 2010, 04:08 PM) *
Mayweather being a trending topic on twitter the weekend of the Marquez fight correlates because something needs to be pretty damn popular to show up in the list of top subjects tweeted about.

Just because a couple hundred boxing nuts tweet something doesn't make something a trending topic.

It needs to be bigger than that.

I realize that, but you seem to be going under the assumption that all those people tweeting, making it a trending topic, bought the PPV. And maybe a bunch of them did, but how many DIDN'T and were just reacting to the news about Mayweather winning?

Hell, I tweeted about the Mayweather fight and I didn't buy it either.

I understand your logic though, I just don't know if we can go on that to say whether or not the numbers are right.

+Quote Post
TRU
post Apr 9 2010, 06:15 PM
Post #26

Super Flyweight

From what I recall, it was a trending topic LEADING UP TO the fight.

So Friday... Saturday day before the fight.

As for twitter being a measure of success...

Read this.

http://mashable.com/2010/04/02/twitter-the...ce-predictor-2/

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Apr 9 2010, 06:22 PM
Post #27

Welterweight

That well could be, I just think there's a world of difference between people tweeting an getting excited about a big movie coming out (@ 10 dollars or less a ticket) and buying a pay per view fight @ 40 to 50 bucks a pop.

You could be right on this though, I just don't know. Especially in this economy, people are probably more likely to spring for a movie they may or may not like (especially if they're taking their girl or guy) and dropping half a hundred on a fight that they may not enjoy.

I could be wrong though.

+Quote Post
TRU
post Apr 9 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #28

Super Flyweight

I'm just looking at both sides of the coin...

There are different factors pointing to both being potentially correct.

+Quote Post
torvix2000
post Apr 9 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #29

BANNED IN THE USA

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,018

QUOTE (Method @ Apr 9 2010, 10:14 PM) *
If they reported 450K to the IRS, guess what, Pinochio? They fucking lied to somebody.

Guess, that somebody's gotta be us. Because if that somebody's the IRS, then they would be in deep shit.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Apr 9 2010, 08:21 PM
Post #30

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

I've always had some doubts about Floyd being as big a star as he likes to believe.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 11:34 AM