IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "How would you Elevate the Sport of Boxing/ What would you like seen done", how "you" would implement a resugence into the fight game
EAlbian
post Apr 12 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,451

This topic is about what you as a boxing fan would do or like to see done to bring boxing back center stage. I think boxing has taken a major backseat to other sports in the media especially over the last 10 years. I think there a numerous things that could implement the fight game and bring it back close to what it use to be.

24/7 and fight camp 360 are great starters, they take a look into the lives of the guys that put it on the line in the ring. I think back stories greatly sell the fights. I think an inside series, something like inside mma would be great for the boxing fan that wants more boxing. Have interviews with up and coming fighters as well as those who are more established names, show highlights, up coming fights, build fights, and have expert analysis on those topics. Maybe even look at what is going on in the armature scene. I know i pretty much tune into Friday night fights for those reasons but its not nearly enough.

HBO has the rights to 1000's of fights, why not implement a package where consumers and boxing fans could access previous fights and relive the glory of past times.

I know a lot of people hate him but Floyd got the right idea with selling the fights the way he does. I know when i was younger i watched a lot of pro wrestling because i like the whole idea of the good guy fighting the bad guy and the way they sold the show. It doesnt always have to be that scenario but shit, promoters should want their fighters calling out guys, selling fights, talking trash, its about entertainment value.

up and comers need to fight more, tyson used to fight every month during his early career. I dont mind if a young guy is fighting bums but if your going to fight bums at least fight a lot, dont take 2 months off in between fights. It builds public interest, guys like Demitrius Andrade and Deontay Wilder need to stay in the public eye so they can become stars, not fight bums every 3 months.

How about a series, like a contender, tournament style, that only has prospects and promoting stables each have a stake in it. The show would air every week and have a fight at each weight class(say the original 8) and be seeded by amateur and pro experience. They wouldn't have to live in the same house or anything and the tournament would take well over a year to finish. Maybe make it like a team thing with team top rank and team golden boy etc.. where the winning stable would get promotional rights to airing the championships on ppv or some kind of reward. Then a champion is crowned at each weight class and the next year the tournament is held again with new participants and some reentering. Maybe the winners of that year eventually facing the champions of the previous year/s on a return ppv, something of that nature

what are some of your thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Apr 12 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

You make some valid points! I like the idea of accessing past fights.

1) 24/7 Style Shows

Love or hate MMA, they do a good job at selling their product - especially to the younger generation, which is what boxing needs. Like you say, shows like 24/7 are important and they could sell any fight to the general public if they edited it right.

2) Fighting More

Again, like the post above, fighters need to f-ckin' fight more! The top guys should be fighting at least 3 - 4 times a year...it's their job!

3) Less Belts

We can dream, but it would make things seem so much clearer to the general fan. They don't care or want to learn who the IBF, WBC, WBA, WBF, champion is....they just want to know who 'the champ' is.

+Quote Post
oozemcbuck
post Apr 12 2010, 11:42 AM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,112

I would sing up to a "boxing channel", just like the mlb network, nfl network, or nba tv. ESPN never talks about boxing, except for 3 minutes when there's a big fight. Then they spend the rest of the time talking about Tiger. That's why I go directly to the channel of the sport I want to hear about, so I don't have to listen to tennis news when I have no interest in it. We need a boxing channel where they not only show fights, but in-depth looks at all aspects of the game, from the trainers, to the judges and ref's, promoters, what it's like to work a corner, etc. Like nba inside stuff. Nowadays, you can't stay up to date on boxing without the internet. The RING magazine comes out every 4-5 months or whatever. By the time u buy the issue, you're reading old news. A weekly paper/magazine would help too.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Apr 12 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #4

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Apr 12 2010, 04:34 PM) *
You make some valid points! I like the idea of accessing past fights.

1) 24/7 Style Shows

Love or hate MMA, they do a good job at selling their product - especially to the younger generation, which is what boxing needs. Like you say, shows like 24/7 are important and they could sell any fight to the general public if they edited it right.

2) Fighting More

Again, like the post above, fighters need to f-ckin' fight more! The top guys should be fighting at least 3 - 4 times a year...it's their job!

3) Less Belts

We can dream, but it would make things seem so much clearer to the general fan. They don't care or want to learn who the IBF, WBC, WBA, WBF, champion is....they just want to know who 'the champ' is.

Thats the one for me. Many casual fans of boxing are fans because of one or two fighters, they have their favourite that they like to watch. If these guys fought 3 or 4 times every year you have to think that more people would be exposed to more fighters on undercards etc and would spend more time following the sport. Which leads nicely onto the next biggest problem in boxing. The lazy promoters. Start stacking undercards for fuck sake!!!

+Quote Post
mexi-cutioner
post Apr 12 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,263

Better fight cards, more often.

Boxing has alot of talent, the problems with promoters is that interests often clash. I would love to see boxing implement a style similar to UFC where all their fighters are represented under the UFC banner, boxing should do the same. Having 3-4 quality fights on a PPV card with 4-6 reputable names would make even the casual boxing fan excited and maybe even get some recognitition to those elite-lesser known fighters in the lower weight classes (aka Montiel,Donaire,Darchinyan etc)

+Quote Post
KookedKrack
post Apr 12 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 5,468

Same day weigh ins and get rid of all the fucking belts.

+Quote Post
blackbelt2003
post Apr 12 2010, 01:57 PM
Post #7

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 84

Two things:

ONE - fighters must fight more. Fighting once or twice a year just does not build support for them. By the time they've had a month's break, negotiated for the next fight for three months, trained for six weeks the general public have forgotten who they were.

They should strike whilst the iron is hot, if you've just gotten yourself into the public eye with a breakthrough performance, why wait a year for your next fight? I guess it's because fighters are too scared to lose unbeaten records, which shouldn't really mean a thing.

TWO - The three bodies, WBC, WBA and IBF should make the other champs mandatories for their own titles. Surely if there was one undisputed champion the alphabets wouldn't lose too much in sanctioning fees, especially as it means the guy who holds all three belts is going to be a bigger name than some of the random, unheard of fighters they have at the moment. Surely a third of the Mosley-Mayweather fight sanctioning fees is worth more than all of the Jan Zaveck IBF fees.

Those two things would clean the fight game up.

Black

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Apr 12 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #8

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

Great topic and great replies so far, I agree with you all.

These ridiculous PPV cards have got to go. If it is quality and warrants PPV, I am fine by that for BIG fights. But these shitty no name, has been, awful match-ups we get for the majority of cards is a joke.

Fighters def need to fight more often.

Get some name fighters on some Saturday or Sunday afternoon free TV.

Get one universal set of rules for boxing.

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Apr 12 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

I would like to see fighter's insurance. This is something that may or may not be in existence but I never hear about it. Fighters get hurt or killed in the ring and their families are left with nothing. The insurance would go a long way in fixing that problem. I would also like to see a retirement fund for fighters. Most fighters can't manage their money and often go broke after retiring. They may have ring smarts but money smarts is totally different. The best have succumb to this problem. Even SRR died broke.

I would suggest some type of 401K for boxers where parts of their earnings go into this account so when they retire they have something to fall back.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Apr 12 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #10

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

The problem with a sorry ass undercard is that the Main Event is taking such a HUGE slice of the pie. Shit, sometimes they're taking the whole fucking thing. For an undercard to contain viable names they would have to:

A- Pay the Main Event fighters less
-or-
B- Charge the fans more

With the regular $50 PPV, and live gate tix averaging about $40-$100 for a cheap seat...there isn't much more that they can charge us. That means that the fighters themselves would have to take a pay cut...and you all know how likely that is of happening.

The best shot that we have of seeing a good undercard is when the Main Event fighter is also getting a promoter percentage. That keeps their cut to where they're used to, and frees up a little more cash to fill the card. Unfortunately for all of us, that STILL is no guarantee that they'll actually put that "extra" money back into the card, instead of just putting it in their pocket.

This post has been edited by Spyder: Apr 12 2010, 04:47 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 11:40 PM