IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "How would you Elevate the Sport of Boxing/ What would you like seen done", how "you" would implement a resugence into the fight game
Snoop
post Apr 12 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #21

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Warlord @ Apr 13 2010, 02:38 AM) *
The Contender didn't really flop, and the production values were fine. I think editing the fights is what pissed people off, one. And two, everyone knew it was a gimmick from the start. Stallone tried his best to make it like a real-life Rocky, but he went too hollywood with it.

He may have even, if I dare say, classed it up a bit too much. Everyone was a (portrayed) good guy, except Ahmed Kaddour, who was put off as the cocky showboat terrorist chanting "Allah Akbar!" before every fight. (Ahh, he was my favorite fighter from that show too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

Stallone would've done well to put a bunch of young, hungry fighters together alongside some old, nearly dead fighters hungry for a comeback, and then watch the fireworks fly. It worked wonders for the UFC and SpikeTV.

Let's face it, Chris Leben getting sprayed with a water-hose and then busting up the entire house with bloody fists (Quiet! Diego's trying to sleep!) is infinitely more interesting than Jesse Brinkley's double-wide bringing their two kids for a visit, or Anthony "#1 Dad" Bonsante sobbing and openly weeping over his own two little shits.

That shit was just too much. People want to see carnage on a fight show, not fucking family bonding. You have to get down and dirty, and it was down right hilarious to see boxing pretending as if they were above doing such.

The fight editing killed it for me. It wasn't even bringing the real fight experience to the fans if they're going to show us clips and rob us the ability to judge for ourselves.

I guess I should replace my initial statement of "video production" with "video content". The Contender REAAALLLY drew out their episodes focusing on one thing, so I never understood why they didn't just fill in the time with showing the damn fight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Apr 12 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #22

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

Maybe some won't agree, but if the United States had an exciting active dominant Heavyweight Champion, more people would focus on boxing. Kind of like Tyson in his time. EVERYBODY knew Tyson.

I mean does anyone but diehards know who Haye is?

How many regular people know who the Klits are? Valuev? Chagaev? You get the point.

It definately is shocking the Klits are not superstars with there amazing exciting performances.

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Apr 12 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #23

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

Drop all the negotiations for the fights. 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser.

+Quote Post
Keith
post Apr 12 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #24

Welterweight

Member No.: 10,273

I have a simple one... judges scoring 10-10 rounds. It would make judging more accurate.

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Apr 12 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #25

Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,633

Best actual boxing thread in a bit.

1. Judging must be improved and it must be insulated from corruption. All decisions should be reviewed. Each judge's work should be scrutinized independently. Poor judging should be punishable. I agree with Keith that judges should be allowed to score rounds even. Possibly, five judges should score the fight (including the ref). The most disparate cards should be thrown out.

2. Referees must improve. The job must be more standardized and scrutinized. Poor refs must go away.

3. As stated repeatedly in this thread, PUPVs must go away. The stench is killing the sport.

4. Boxing fans need to insist on an improved product and strike fear in those who would strong arm the independent forums that are the lifeblood of boxing today.

5. We must show strong support for things done right by promoters, fighters, networks, etc.

6. Weight class belt holders should be required to face each other.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Apr 13 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #26

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (alaganza @ Apr 13 2010, 02:34 AM) *
Drop all the negotiations for the fights. 60 to the winner and 40 to the loser.

Good call. I never understood why they don't do that now.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Apr 13 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #27

Guests

QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 13 2010, 03:00 PM) *
Good call. I never understood why they don't do that now.

Because hypothetically you have someone like DLH vs Wright. The fight generates 'x' amount of dollars (lets say $30 million). Everybody knows full well that Wright didn't contribute much to it at all. Having any percentage in his favor is ridiculous because getting 60% of a percentage against someone like Williams or Hopkins wouldn't even generate 40% he would make off DLH, so it entirely isn't fair.
I was more thinking of a pot.
DLH-Wright should split lets say $25 million ($20 million for DLH and $5 million for Wright). The extra $5 million is a purse or jackpot which goes to the winner or something.
I still think the guy responsible for generating the money should get a portion. I just think that money should be put a side for performance. They shouldn't get everything until they complete their finished job.

+Quote Post
Rivado
post Apr 13 2010, 02:27 AM
Post #28

Middleweight

Member No.: 455

Fights on prime time and on regular channels- for free. If SHO can get friggin Strikeforce to be on Saturday night then SHO can deliver a world class boxing card on a SAT on CBS. It would be great if the next "Super Six" was on regular TV and on primetime. SHO/CBS make it happen! It makes perfect sense to do so and you know it. If not an actual fight card then atleast 24/7 and 360 type programming available to the general public to promote a big fight would be great.

BUT let's not kid ourselves. Boxing is an acquired taste - do we really NEED more casual fans? I mean if you are not going to really appreciate the art and history of the sport do we really need more half-assed fans tuning in? I like my boxing the way it is. But sharing with the rest of the world would not hurt - I guess.

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Apr 13 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #29

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 13 2010, 01:47 AM) *
Because hypothetically you have someone like DLH vs Wright. The fight generates 'x' amount of dollars (lets say $30 million). Everybody knows full well that Wright didn't contribute much to it at all. Having any percentage in his favor is ridiculous because getting 60% of a percentage against someone like Williams or Hopkins wouldn't even generate 40% he would make off DLH, so it entirely isn't fair.
I was more thinking of a pot.
DLH-Wright should split lets say $25 million ($20 million for DLH and $5 million for Wright). The extra $5 million is a purse or jackpot which goes to the winner or something.
I still think the guy responsible for generating the money should get a portion. I just think that money should be put a side for performance. They shouldn't get everything until they complete their finished job.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to that. However, in your first scenario as long as the "money" fighter won it wouldn't be an issue.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Apr 13 2010, 08:14 AM
Post #30

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

QUOTE (Rivado @ Apr 13 2010, 03:27 AM) *
Fights on prime time and on regular channels- for free. If SHO can get friggin Strikeforce to be on Saturday night then SHO can deliver a world class boxing card on a SAT on CBS. It would be great if the next "Super Six" was on regular TV and on primetime. SHO/CBS make it happen! It makes perfect sense to do so and you know it. If not an actual fight card then atleast 24/7 and 360 type programming available to the general public to promote a big fight would be great.

BUT let's not kid ourselves. Boxing is an acquired taste - do we really NEED more casual fans? I mean if you are not going to really appreciate the art and history of the sport do we really need more half-assed fans tuning in? I like my boxing the way it is. But sharing with the rest of the world would not hurt - I guess.

I'm with that.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 03:08 PM