IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Greatest News I've heard all year!!!!, John "The Quiet Man" Ruiz Announces His Retirement
Method
post Apr 26 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

I fought anybody who got in the ring with me and never ducked anyone. - Jawnny Luiz

Never ducked anyone, but clinched EVERYONE!

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt...le&id=27248

John "The Quiet Man" Ruiz Announces His Retirement

LAS VEGAS (Apr. 26, 2010) After a professional career spanning 18 years, highlighted by becoming the first and only Heavyweight World Champion of Latino heritage, two-time world champion John The Quietman Ruiz today announced his retirement from the ring.

Ruiz (44-9-1, 30 KOs) defeated three world champions Evander Holyfield, Hasim Rahman and Tony Tucker as well as top contenders such as Andrew Golota, Fres Oquendo, Jameel McCline and Kirk Johnson. Six of Johns nine career losses were to world champions.

Ive had a great career but its time for me to turn the page and start a new chapter of my life, Ruiz said. Its sad that my final fight didnt work out the way I wanted, but, hey, thats boxing. Im proud of what Ive accomplished with two world titles, 12 championship fights, and being the first Latino Heavyweight Champion of the World. I fought anybody who got in the ring with me and never ducked anyone. Now, Im looking forward to spending more time with my family.

I want to thank all of fans for staying in my corner through a long, up-and-down ride, as well as members of my family and team my manager and legal advisor, Atty. Tony Cardinale, my brother, Eddie (cornerman), and Keith McGrath (strength-and conditioning coach) whove been with me so long. I also want to thank my trainer Miguel Diaz and (assistant) Richie Sandoval for teaching an old dog, new tricks, and my promoter, Golden Boy Promotions, the fairest promoter in boxing.

I was proud to be the WBA champion twice and have the opportunity to fight 12 times for the WBA championship, the oldest and most respected organization in boxing. Id particularly like to thank WBA President Gilberto Mendoza.

Ruiz plans to move from Las Vegas back home to the Boston area this year and open a boxing gym in the inner city. With my experiences in boxing, he explained, I want to go home and open a gym where kids will have a place to go, keeping them off of the streets, so they can learn how to box and build character. Someday, Id like to see one of them go on to represent the United States in the Olympics. I want them to have the same opportunity to see the world that I had as an amateur. Ive always tried to be involved in community and charity work in the past and now Ill have more time to work with kids.

Maybe, someday Ill get into training, but right now I just want to spend time with my wife, Maribelle, and my children. I wasnt around as much as I would have liked for my two oldest children, John and Jocelyn, because I was away training or fighting. Now, Ill be around for them and my 3-year-old son, Joaquin, as he grows up. Im going back to my roots in Massachusetts, where a lot of my family and friends live, and look forward to helping young boxers avoid some of the bad things that I experienced in the sport but help them to experience the good times, too. Boxing is brutal but also beautiful. As I look back, Im happy about my career, and my future is very bright.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Apr 26 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #2

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

War John Ruiz!!!!!

(IMG:http://www.amam-magazine.com/valuev.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.bostonmagazine.com/images/uploads/articles/6830_article.jpg)

+Quote Post
BGv2.0
post Apr 26 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,304

I know it's going to sound crazy...but I honestly think the division is that much more uninteresting without Ruiz in it.

Even if you HATED him....at the very least he got an emotional response from you....that's something very few HWs do today.

BUT...it's time, 18 years in the sport as a HW is a good long run.

And even though he lost his last fight....he displayed heart and being game....so it's not a bad one to go out on...and who knows...IF Haye goes on to do something spectacular....it's really not a bad one to go out on.

+Quote Post
xxxxxx
post Apr 26 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #4

Lightweight

Member No.: 5,559

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 26 2010, 10:11 AM) *

That pic of Valuev and Ruiz is just scary! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) On another note...congrats to Ruiz for a good career. He fought the best Heavy's of his era. Congrats.

+Quote Post
alaganza
post Apr 26 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 76

I'm not a big fan of Ruiz at all. But the bottom line is he dedicated a large portion of his life to the sport I love. In my book that counts for something. Congrats to John on his retirement.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Apr 26 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #6

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

(IMG:http://www.breathecast.com/files/album/20081028111425_0_A_New_Hallelujah.jpg)

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Apr 26 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #7

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 20 2010, 10:10 AM) *
Once John Ruiz officially retires, I'm out.

Peace, y'all!

+Quote Post
thehype
post Apr 26 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #8

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Sweetness @ Apr 26 2010, 01:12 PM) *
Peace, y'all!

Not so fast...you have to wait at least 2 years before any retirement announcement becomes official.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Apr 26 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

Wow one of the all time greats decides to hang em up.

We'll see you in Canastota in 5 yrs big John............................yeah right. LOL

+Quote Post
Byrd Man
post Apr 26 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #10

Welterweight

Member No.: 6,422

JOHN RUIZ HALL OF FAMER!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 11:09 AM