IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Naseem Richardson deserves criticism now if he got credit in the past...
TRU
post May 3 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #1

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,474

Just got off the phone with a media guy who had spoken with Richardson prior to Saturday night.

He said that Richardson's gameplan for Shane was to "box" from the outside instead of his usual John Ruiz impersonation.

Richardson stated that the reason for this plan was due to the fact guys like De la Hoya, Hatton, and Gatti were all ineffective in consistently pressing forward so he wouldnt fall in the pattern of attempting to implement the same gameplan as those guys.

I think this is a pretty dumb gameplan being that Shane has no defense, no jab, and has largely been effective by mauling over the past 5 years.

Richardson got all the credit for victories, he should be faulted for a obviously faulty gameplan. Did he not know the type of fighter he's been training?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thehype
post May 3 2010, 02:08 PM
Post #2

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (TRU @ May 3 2010, 02:56 PM) *
Just got off the phone with a media guy who had spoken with Richardson prior to Saturday night.

He said that Richardson's gameplan for Shane was to "box" from the outside instead of his usual John Ruiz impersonation.

Richardson stated that the reason for this plan was due to the fact guys like De la Hoya, Hatton, and Gatti were all ineffective in consistently pressing forward so he wouldnt fall in the pattern of attempting to implement the same gameplan as those guys.

I think this is a pretty dumb gameplan being that Shane has no defense, no jab, and has largely been effective by mauling over the past 5 years.

Richardson got all the credit for victories, he should be faulted for a obviously faulty gameplan. Did he not know the type of fighter he's been training?

Actually, that may not be a good strategy for some fighters, but for Shane Mosley, he may have had a better shot with that gameplan because he does have decent speed and is somewhat technically skilled. Zab Judah was having some success using that gameplan. In fact, Shane Mosley had some success with that in the first round.

The problem is that you'll never know if that was a "pretty dumb gameplan" because that's not the gameplan that Shane implemented for 11 rounds of the fight. Once he landed that big right hand, he went looking to land that one punch and hoping for a knockout. Shane didn't follow any of the instructions that Richardson gave him, or the gameplan itself, so he ended up getting his ass beat, losing pretty much every round. Whatever Shane Mosley was doing in there, which is pretty much what he's been doing in past fights, is NOT what Naazim Richardson told him to do.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post May 3 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #3

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

I thought Nazim gave Shane excellent instruction in between the rounds. The problem wasn't what Naz was telling him; it was that Mosley wasn't following them.

+Quote Post
TRU
post May 3 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #4

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (thehype @ May 3 2010, 03:08 PM) *
Actually, that may not be a good strategy for some fighters, but for Shane Mosley, he may have had a better shot with that gameplan because he does have decent speed and is somewhat technically skilled. Zab Judah was having some success using that gameplan. In fact, Shane Mosley had some success with that in the first round.

The problem is that you'll never know if that was a "pretty dumb gameplan" because that's not the gameplan that Shane implemented for 11 rounds of the fight. Once he landed that big right hand, he went looking to land that one punch and hoping for a knockout. Shane didn't follow any of the instructions that Richardson gave him, or the gameplan itself, so he ended up getting his ass beat, losing pretty much every round. Whatever Shane Mosley was doing in there, which is pretty much what he's been doing in past fights, is NOT what Naazim Richardson told him to do.

What does "decent speed" have to do with this strategy? Mosley has no functional speed which is the only thing that matters in a boxing ring. He can't counter-punch, no jab, no defense... is that a fact or opinion?

And please tell me about how Mosley is "somewhat technically skilled". Based on what?

Richardson should get criticized for not knowing the mental of his fighter and not being to able to understand that Mosley would have NO chance fighting on the outside. If he had a different horse to implement his strategy, it might have been more effective but you have to understand the fighter you're working with.

I'm not saying that I know more than Richardson at all... I'm not a trainer. I'm just saying... if someone told me that Team mosley planned to fight Floyd from the outside... I would have bet way too much money on Floyd. Regardless of what happened in "round 1".

Here was my take on the fight strategies prior to it taking place...

http://www.theboxingtruth.com/article.php?id=1747

+Quote Post
Method
post May 3 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #5

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

The problem is that you'll never know if that was a "pretty dumb gameplan" because that's not the gameplan that Shane implemented for 11 rounds of the fight. Once he landed that big right hand, he went looking to land that one punch and hoping for a knockout.

That's EXACTLY what Naazim told him in the middle of the fight. It was something along the lines of "The problem is, you landed that big shot on him and now that's all you're looking for. I need you to just land the quick( rabbit) shots, and the big shots will come later on"

In my opinion, I thought Naazim was excellent in between rounds. Problem is Shane was too fucking nervy/jittery, and honestly, you gotta give it to Floyd, he just took all the bullets out of Mosley's gun after the 2nd round. Shane wasted a LOT of nervous energy....he was gassed half way through the fight.

+Quote Post
TRU
post May 3 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #6

Super Flyweight

QUOTE (Method @ May 3 2010, 03:17 PM) *
That's EXACTLY what Naazim told him in the middle of the fight. It was something along the lines of "The problem is, you landed that big shot on him and now that's all you're looking for. I need you to just land the quick( rabbit) shots, and the big shots will come later on"

In my opinion, I thought Naazim was excellent in between rounds. Problem is Shane was too fucking nervy/jittery, and honestly, you gotta give it to Floyd, he just took all the bullets out of Mosley's gun after the 2nd round. Shane wasted a LOT of nervous energy....he was gassed half way through the fight.

That's the problem... when has Mosley NOT loaded up with his shots?

Landing quick shots is not in Mosley's nature, he's a load up type of fighter so when you attempt to change him into something he's not, that's your fault as a trainer regardless of the advice you're giving in between rounds.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post May 3 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #7

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

nas is still a very solid trainer, no need to discredit him... mo didnt listen to him... imo even had he listened the fight may have been a little better but the same out come... no matter how you look at the fight or try to break it down they where two diffrent classes of fighter in that ring... one was a good solid fighter/champion- mosley... one is simply special and a great fighter, possibly all time great- mayweather...

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post May 3 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

Brother Nas is a pretty solid trainer and should be given credit for that. It's the fighter who has to implement the plan and make adjustments. All of the true lovers of this sport knew Shane never has a plan B. This was just like Hatton not listening to Floyd Sr. and getting put to sleep.

I also respect Nas for the way he held himself after the fight by not making excuses and standing like a man.

+Quote Post
TRU
post May 3 2010, 02:40 PM
Post #9

Super Flyweight

Just saying... have a gameplan that you're fighter is unable to implement makes no sense to me.

Shane has no jab, no defense, porous footwork... how was he supposed to "box" from the outside?

This post has been edited by TRU: May 3 2010, 02:42 PM

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post May 3 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #10

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (TRU @ May 3 2010, 02:40 PM) *
Just saying... have a gameplan that you're fighter is unable to implement makes no sense to me.

Shane has no jab, no defense, porous footwork... how was he supposed to "box" from the outside?

thing is tru... in the end it wouldnt have mattered... barring his punchers chance shane was in there with a totally diffrent higher class fighter than he has ever faced.... in my opinion floyd has 3 ways that he will eventually lose if he ever does.... number 1 will be he gets roy jonesed... 1 punch and somebody gets him out of there... number 2 in my opinion is he faces some young fighter coming up that nobodies ever really heard of that happens to have a skill level close or equal to his which is highly unlikely at this stage of the game... and 3rd is simply floyds sticks around the sport a little too long...

actually there is a 4th that i can see and that is floyd testing himself at higher weights... ive always thought p will would have venom for lil floyd because of his long arms, volume punching and etc and at 154 he is closer to his natural weight than at 147... also sergio martinez i think is an interesting fight... after that who else is there?... the full fledged 160 lbers are too big...

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 05:54 AM