3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should HBO do a Super 6?, 140lb division
Guest_Fitz_*
post May 17 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (ViperSniper @ May 17 2010, 03:53 PM) *
Of course they have raised their profile! It definitely hasn't hurt them, as it's created more interest & attention from the boxing world. I think pinning the word "tournament" next to a fight would make a casual fan more curious if coming across it on TV. It's up to the boxing fans weather they can look past the word "tournament" or just see it as the best fighting the best or not, which shouldn't really matter anyways as either is goes hand in hand.

Like which fights are we exactly missing out on at 168?? Winky Wright??? Chad Dawson?? Your bringing up only "name" fighters with one, being irrelevant, on the decline & the other that has his own belts to defend with NONE being 168 fighters anyways! The only part that is whack about the S6 was the whole JT thing to be honest. With a division so deep it's kind of hard to include everyone in the S6, that's why Bute, Miranda, Green (orignally), Andrade ect. were unlucky. In terms of the winner still being disputed after wards..Bute will have A LOT of proving to do once the S6 is over as even those who don't win it may be regarded higher based on the S6 alone. The Super Middleweight division is over flowing..once S6 is over the 168 division still has miles of great match-ups ahead not to mention all the needed rematches that can be made after wards.

You don't really look at a crowd to determine how successful fighters are, as it would mean fights like Castillo-Corrales or Marquez-Vasquez would have been failures and would have not been very relevant to the sport. Wasn't the mega-fight the start of this month struggling to sell tickets?? Once again, I think the S6 has been very successful in boxing & for the boxers in it.

I agree with what your saying about suffering back-to-back losses, specially coming up in the ranks can be hurtful but don't think it's be all end all like many perceive losses. But that is why I respect all the undefeated fighters entering this tournament as protecting their '0' was not a big enough concern & are fighting the best instead of saying it.

The Contender never seem to hurt any of the fighters profiles involved in it and in fact got them big fights after wards. Only difference is the S6 is fought at a much higher level, is not a reality TV show & actually show entire fights with no editing, dramatic music & sound effects...no bullshit. There will be more than enough exposure & fights for all fighters..even when the S6 is all said & done. Not to mention all the rematches that can also be made from the Tournament. 168 really is looking better than ever which is good to see Joe fucked off when he did.

In today's boxing we can't always assume the fights will happen, because a lot of times they don't because fighters fighters want to protect their records, leave divisions, go for money fights, ect. Just look at the way 2 boxing's 'best' have been going about things in recent memories. At least with S6 we know we will get these fights regardless.

I can understand some not agreeing with the structure as some may prefer an 8 man tourney or an elimination structure, but at least we are getting the best fighting the best back-to-back, without a tourney who knows how many good fights we really would have gotten. Yet you have suggested a GBP Tournament involving name fighters like Hatton, Marquez, Guzman & Campbell...who aren't even the best in that division..with some being closed to finished and some never even campaigning at 140?

I'm just curious, for someone who says you don't have a problem with the best fighting the best or the tournament, you sure have a very strong negative opinions on the whole matter. So what is it about the S6 (or any tournament) that you feel is lacking or not good for boxing?? It sure as hell is better than what other divisions have on with no contracts & certainty..which is a lot of talking & ducking with no real fights.

+1 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

Good post, though I only read the first half as it was long. Pretty much agree with yourself and salvador, though you know where we both stood defending this tournament.
Also fights we may have missed out on? Wright? Yeah, I'm devastated we missed that one, lol. Like you said, Dawson is a champion at 175, I am almost 90% sure that Dawson was NEVER going to come down to 168, hell he would have put his hand up if he was interested, as this tournament is surely doing better than any publicity Dawson is getting, haha.

There is nothing to complain about the tournament, most of the best is fighting the best and anybody would be ridiculous if they criticised this under normal circumstances. They are not mega stars but the tournament has definitely raised there stocks. Not saying that they are now going to be mega stars, but more people are aware and it definitely has not hurt them.

This tournament is good for the sport, we are getting good fights, the only problem with it is that Bute isn't in it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post May 17 2010, 03:58 AM
Post #22

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

Can anyone tell me what Judah has done to even be in the running for any type of meaningful fight at 140? What has he achieved at 140 in the last 7 years? Besides win a controvertial split decision against Corley? What has he even achieved in the last 2 years to get any type of meaningful fight at any weight class?

+Quote Post
salvador
post May 17 2010, 07:22 AM
Post #23

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 17 2010, 03:58 AM) *
Can anyone tell me what Judah has done to even be in the running for any type of meaningful fight at 140? What has he achieved at 140 in the last 7 years? Besides win a controvertial split decision against Corley? What has he even achieved in the last 2 years to get any type of meaningful fight at any weight class?

He could play the JT role at 140.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post May 17 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #24

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 17 2010, 08:58 AM) *

He was on the receiving end of one of the funniest KO's in the history of the sport. Wait you said 7 years right? Hmmm....

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post May 17 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #25

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (ViperSniper @ May 17 2010, 12:31 PM) *
LOL!

Zab will always bring excitement to the ring as long as continues stepping through the ropes. If only he had a better state of mind, he could have been one of the all time greats!

LOL. As Snoop mentioned he is a highlight reel kind of guy. In 50 years they will still show his KO loss to Tszyu.

+Quote Post
salvador
post May 17 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #26

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ May 17 2010, 07:42 AM) *
LOL. As Snoop mentioned he is a highlight reel kind of guy. In 50 years they will still show his KO loss to Tszyu.

That would be a really cool grave site: He could have an eternal holograph of the ko floating above his headstone running over and over for all of time. "Zab Judah was here!"

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 10:03 AM