IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sugar Ray Robinson vs Floyd Mayweather..
PR316
post May 27 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

In a recent issue of Ring Magazine, they did this one in matching up Mayweather with the all time greats.

I do believe this is a tough fight for Robinson because of the styles. Ray had never met anyone quite as athletic, quick, nor as smart as Floyd. But the same could be said about Mayweather. He's fighting a guy who has a big edge in power, along with the blazing hand speed, perfect footwork, and rock solid chin.

I think its a chess match much of the fight, but Robinson will eventually find Floyd with his straight right hand over the shoulder roll and when he hurts Floyd, PBF won't recover quite as easily as he did Shane.

I think Robinson takes a competitive but clear decision over 15 rounds with Floyd in clear survival mode to just make it to the end.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post May 27 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #2

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (PR316 @ May 27 2010, 08:36 PM) *
In a recent issue of Ring Magazine, they did this one in matching up Mayweather with the all time greats.

I do believe this is a tough fight for Robinson because of the styles. Ray had never met anyone quite as athletic, quick, nor as smart as Floyd. But the same could be said about Mayweather. He's fighting a guy who has a big edge in power, along with the blazing hand speed, perfect footwork, and rock solid chin.

I think its a chess match much of the fight, but Robinson will eventually find Floyd with his straight right hand over the shoulder roll and when he hurts Floyd, PBF won't recover quite as easily as he did Shane.

I think Robinson takes a competitive but clear decision over 15 rounds with Floyd in clear survival mode to just make it to the end.

Shit,after watching Mayweather hurt bad by Mosley,I give this an easy win for Robinson by KO..Mosley has no idea how to hit like Robinson did..Mosley doesn't use his whole body in punches like Robinson does..In my opinion this is a lost art..Guys are throwing pussy punches these days(in comparison),not lethal punches like Dempsey,Louis,Robinson,Archie Moore,Duran,Benny Leonard knew how to throw..If Dempsey hit you,he could kill you with a punch..Who is a devestating puncher like any of the guys I listed today??I'm having a seriously hard time thinking about it..At any time,any of the guys I listed could KO you with one shot..

Robinson by KO..Early or late..Whenever he landed a full leveraged shot..Remember,he was convinced into carrying quite a few guys so he wouldn't tee off on many..

This post has been edited by JonnyBlaze: May 27 2010, 09:24 PM

+Quote Post
PR316
post May 27 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

^^^^Thats true.

For Mayweather to last the distance, he's gonna need every inch of skill and ring smarts because if Robinson gets him in position, he'll rip with both hands like nothing Floyd has seen before.

My gut tells me Floyd wouldn't fight him the way he fought Mosley though. Not that it would help him win, but I think he'd fight a similar fight to the way he fought De La Hoya, constantly moving away from the left hook and staying out of the wheelhouse.

These days, very few guys could hit anything like a Robinson did. At welterweight, the last true puncher we have had IMO was Tito Trinidad. Every punch short, compact, with body weight behind it.

This post has been edited by PR316: May 27 2010, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post May 28 2010, 05:51 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ May 28 2010, 03:22 AM) *
Benny Leonard

Benny was far from a puncher. He was more similar to Pep.

+Quote Post
Maxy
post May 28 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #5

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,443

QUOTE (and the NEW @ May 28 2010, 06:51 AM) *

Good to see you ATN, how you doing?

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post May 29 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #6

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (and the NEW @ May 28 2010, 05:51 AM) *

Are you serious??Benny was a great puncher..You may think he wasn't because he carried guys A LOT..When he started boxing,he couldn't break an egg..Then he became a puncher through finding his balance and using his weight..He does remind me of Pep in some ways though..Benny had a below average chin so he realized he had to become elusive..

Good to see ya back..

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post May 29 2010, 03:59 AM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

QUOTE (Maxy @ May 28 2010, 12:47 PM) *
Good to see you ATN, how you doing?

Hey mate, just dropped in quickly, I'm doing well, hope the same for you!

Good luck to England in the WC, I know it's said every WC lately, but this 'could be their year' I think! Up there with Spain and Brazil......

Good to see you also Jonny.

Laters.

This post has been edited by and the NEW: May 29 2010, 04:00 AM

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 29 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #8

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Ray lost to Lamatta who I respect but is not mayweather in any shape form or fashion... I give Mayweather a good shot.. Ray would miss more punches than he ever did in his whole career that night. I mean of course ray is the favorite, but PBF would present problems as live Dog... his stamina and defense give him a shot...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: May 29 2010, 05:19 PM

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post May 29 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #9

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

This is a really tough one to call... I wish there was more film of Robinson at welterweight.

Based on what I've seen, I would go with Robinson via UD or late stoppage.

+Quote Post
PR316
post May 29 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Admittedly there is limited footage of a welterweight Robinson.

They have highlights of his fights against Angott(The 3rd one), Riccio, Docusen, Abrams, Beckett, Flores, and Fusari. And the St Valentines Day Massacre fight against Lamotta can also be considered prime Robinson since he was the welterweight champion still.

But based on what I've seen, its enough for me to conclude that Ray beats Floyd, either by decision or KO sometime from the mid to late rounds.

Mayweather has better defense, but Robinson's offensive game is just too superior. Bigger man, stronger, faster hands, more powerful, and had a sadistic killer instinct when he had his man in trouble.

Floyd would give a good account of himself because of who he is, but he'd eventually find himself outgunned.

This post has been edited by PR316: Jun 3 2010, 12:02 AM

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:38 AM