IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tommy Hearns vs Roberto Duran., 1980 circa, welterweight...
PR316
post Jun 13 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

I've always felt Duran was a much different fighter at 147 than he was at 154. Yes he had the good win over Davey Moore, but he also lost to Wilfred Benitez(Past his own best), and he was knocked out by Hearns brutally in which he was coming off the loss to Hagler and was out of shape. Word is he got up to the 200 pound range or close to it and had to shed all that weight and nearly didn't make the weight at the weigh in.

Styles do make fights, and Hearns height and reach will have always been a problem for Duran. But Duran would have the right strategy IMO and he would not just stand outside and box the way Leonard did those first 5 rounds.

It would be a war for sure but I think if Duran keeps it inside, he'll avoid the big long straight right hand and force Hearns to use other weapons. I think its a great fight and a classic. But IMO Duran closes this one strong to earn the deserved decision victory. Don't think he stops Tommy but the same pace he gave Leonard would take its toll on the Hitman as well and as such I think he goes on to victory.

Duran via UD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jun 14 2010, 03:43 AM
Post #2

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jun 13 2010, 06:17 PM) *
I've always felt Duran was a much different fighter at 147 than he was at 154. Yes he had the good win over Davey Moore, but he also lost to Wilfred Benitez(Past his own best), and he was knocked out by Hearns brutally in which he was coming off the loss to Hagler and was out of shape. Word is he got up to the 200 pound range or close to it and had to shed all that weight and nearly didn't make the weight at the weigh in.

Styles do make fights, and Hearns height and reach will have always been a problem for Duran. But Duran would have the right strategy IMO and he would not just stand outside and box the way Leonard did those first 5 rounds.

It would be a war for sure but I think if Duran keeps it inside, he'll avoid the big long straight right hand and force Hearns to use other weapons. I think its a great fight and a classic. But IMO Duran closes this one strong to earn the deserved decision victory. Don't think he stops Tommy but the same pace he gave Leonard would take its toll on the Hitman as well and as such I think he goes on to victory.

Duran via UD

I heard the same thing..Duran had to focus all of camp on losing weight and not boxing..

I wish they could have fought at 47..If Duran had Arcel around,he would of been able to win this fight..Arcel would lie to Duran telling him they had a fight coming up and when it'd be close to the fight date,tell Duran the fight was called off so that Duran would stay in the gym to keep his weight down..

If Arcel is with Duran,I pick Duran..Otherwise,I pick Hearns..

+Quote Post
BigG
post Jun 14 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #3

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

I think Hearns KOs him any time

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jun 14 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #4

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

I certainly see a stylistic issue for Duran. I think this fight would be a lot more competitive BUT I still see the same ending. I think Hearns catches him late.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jun 14 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

Its hard for me to see Hearns KOing the same Duran who gave Leonard all he could handle and more. Duran wasn't some defensless slugger like Cuevas, people. There was a reason he gave Leonard the problems he did. The quick hands and feet, the head movement, the counter punching, the ability to smother Leonard while at the same time being able to slip in those brutal lefts and rights to the body. Many always said that Leonard simply fought the wrong fight. NONSENSE... Duran FORCED Leonard to fight his fight. He didn't give Ray any choice, especially after hurting him with a right hand in the 2nd round. It was either fight, or run the whole way and Sugar Ray was not just going to be pushed around. He did the right thing. FIGHT BACK... Its just that on that night, Duran was a little better.

Hearns would have to fight with Duran here. And if he doesn't take him out early, he's not taking him out late when Duran would get stronger. And the way Hearns carried his left hand so low, how is Duran NOT going to land his straight right and overhand right?

If Hearns doesn't KO anytime before the 8th round, I think Duran wins on a decision with Hearns fading late.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 03:11 AM