IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wrong place at the wrong time, The great fighters who suffered through being in the wrong era?
SENTRAL
post Jul 2 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #1

Super Flyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,900

So guys, I was thinking about all the great fighters there have been over the years and how some of them were unlucky to be boxing in eras containing even greater fighters.

Sonny Liston could have ruled the heavyweights for a few years more if it wasn't for one Cassius Clay.  Clay/Ali obviously stopped a lot of other heavyweights from achieving dominant reigns but there are many other fighters in most divisions where a great fighter isn't as heralded as he would've been if it wasn't for an even greater fighter.

Lew Tendler, now he would've been champ, possibly a great fighter had Benny Leonard not boxed in his era.  Meldrick Taylor was beautiful to watch, I collected a huge batch of his fights a couple years back.  Surely a great fighter had A greater one in Julio Cesar Chavez fought in another era?

How about Archie Moore, a genuine ring legend but if Marciano boxed in a different era, Moore would surely be the first light heavyweight champion to win the heavyweight crown, adding further to his immense legacy?

Another one I'd add is Eusebio Pedroza.  He boxed in the same era as Salvador Sanchez but due to the tragedy they never boxed.  Pedroza was a great champion but will forever live in the shadow of Sanchez.

Guys, anyone care to add some more?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 3 2010, 02:08 AM
Post #2

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jul 2 2010, 11:24 AM) *
So guys, I was thinking about all the great fighters there have been over the years and how some of them were unlucky to be boxing in eras containing even greater fighters.

Sonny Liston could have ruled the heavyweights for a few years more if it wasn't for one Cassius Clay.  Clay/Ali obviously stopped a lot of other heavyweights from achieving dominant reigns but there are many other fighters in most divisions where a great fighter isn't as heralded as he would've been if it wasn't for an even greater fighter.

Lew Tendler, now he would've been champ, possibly a great fighter had Benny Leonard not boxed in his era.  Meldrick Taylor was beautiful to watch, I collected a huge batch of his fights a couple years back.  Surely a great fighter had A greater one in Julio Cesar Chavez fought in another era?

How about Archie Moore, a genuine ring legend but if Marciano boxed in a different era, Moore would surely be the first light heavyweight champion to win the heavyweight crown, adding further to his immense legacy?

Another one I'd add is Eusebio Pedroza.  He boxed in the same era as Salvador Sanchez but due to the tragedy they never boxed.  Pedroza was a great champion but will forever live in the shadow of Sanchez.

Guys, anyone care to add some more?

It is crazy to think about this stuff,isn't it??Archie was old in the Marciano fight as it was and if he had won,they'd be even crazier..He did put Marciano down with one shot which Marciano said was the hardest right hand he ever took..Lew Tendler is another good addition..

I believe Bobo Olson would have been huge had it not been for Robinson and Archie Moore..His defense was great,he had really good skills, and he beat a lot of top guys like Gavilan,Maxim,Turpin,and Castellani to name some..He had a real rough time with Robinson and Archie..

Pryor I kinda feel got stiffed in his era..Top guys avoided him and rightfully so,he was a monster..

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Jul 3 2010, 07:35 AM
Post #3

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jul 2 2010, 05:24 PM) *

Good to see Lew gettin some love. A lot of old school fighters would have been champions & considered greats now but back then it was 8 divisions & 8 belts.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jul 3 2010, 09:08 AM
Post #4

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Howard Davis JR...

+Quote Post
Maxy
post Jul 3 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #5

Born in England, Live in England, Die in England.

Member No.: 1,443

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jul 3 2010, 07:35 AM) *
Good to see Lew gettin some love. A lot of old school fighters would have been champions & considered greats now but back then it was 8 divisions & 8 belts.

Yeah and how do I wish we at least had one belt per division today. I'll add another name, Ken Buchanan....he was a brilliant fighter, unlucky to box when he did.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jul 6 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Antwun Echols... helluva puncher... back to back with Hopkins in less than one years time ruined him. He was a murderous puncher. I remember him sending a tough middle last named barbosa through the ropes with a right hand... I don't know if any of the other middles reigning at the time Keith Holmes or Joppy could have taken his punch at middle. Never was the same after hops stopped him in fight II

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Jul 6 2010, 09:52 PM

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Jul 13 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 195

lets see boxers that would be great in another era.

Lets start with

1. Tommy Morrison, with todays hw divison he would be a rock star.

2. Micheal nunn,

3. razor ruddock

4. antonio tarver

5. glen johnson

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 04:23 AM