Reply to this topicStart new topic
> very interesting data on UFC fighter pay
Col Reb
post Jul 27 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,564

I think an interesting comparison would be to look at the salaries and expenses of a Brock Lesnar fight vs the same data for a Floyd fight. Then, do the same comparison with undercard fighters, say Mirko Crocop's data vs Rocky Juarez's data. That would give us data for top level as well as mid level marketability fighters.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Jul 27 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #12

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

I think these stats are like any other professional industry in the US: the top 5% earn 95% of the revenue. Journeymen, low-tier, and debut fighters earn jack shit for boxing. Boxers aren't overpaid, it's just the superstars that are.

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jul 27 2010, 06:37 PM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 28 2010, 08:03 AM) *
I think these stats are like any other professional industry in the US: the top 5% earn 95% of the revenue. Journeymen, low-tier, and debut fighters earn jack shit for boxing. Boxers aren't overpaid, it's just the superstars that are.

That's more accurate to what I said, but that is the problem and why boxing is criticised a lot. People only tune in to watch the superstars, they see the whole card and they think that represents boxing. Nobody tunes in to watch some of the guys at featherweight or something where we have evenly matched fighters, the best fighting the best and some good undercard fights as well. I know everybody is in it to make a buck, but to get people into boxing and gain more fans they need to promote the right fights, fights that will live up to the hype. Yet they promote the familiar names, and sometimes they dish out rubbish and that is the opinion people get from boxing, when they tune in to watch the 'fight of the year'.

+Quote Post
Col Reb
post Jul 31 2010, 12:06 AM
Post #14

Lightweight

Member No.: 2,564

But what are those guys making compared to the equivalent UFC fighter?

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Jul 31 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #15

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Col Reb @ Jul 31 2010, 06:06 AM) *
But what are those guys making compared to the equivalent UFC fighter?

Good question. I know some club fighters get as little as $300 a fight. I mean fighters in general, both MMA and boxing, don't get a lot of money, only the ones at the top get paid well. Boxers get more because the sport is more established, at least from what I can tell.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 31 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #16

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 31 2010, 04:15 AM) *
Good question. I know some club fighters get as little as $300 a fight. I mean fighters in general, both MMA and boxing, don't get a lot of money, only the ones at the top get paid well. Boxers get more because the sport is more established, at least from what I can tell.

Boxers can make more seeing as they're not part of an organization. I'm pretty sure MMA fighters have to join an organization; UFC, Strikeforce, or whatever and then they'll be given a salary relative to their position in the organization and can coincide with the organization's budget. Boxing operates differently, the boxer is essentially a free agent and those representing the boxer are trying to make the boxer as much as possible since they receive a percentage of their earnings.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:34 AM