IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone notice there are not that many one punch KO artists anymore??
The Original MrF...
post Jul 29 2010, 09:53 AM
Post #31

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,309

This is a great subject. I think that there are just as many 1 punch KO artists as there have ever been. I think that the best pound for pound guys are better defensively that we have seen in the past. Look at guys like Hopkins, Mayweather, Wlad Klitschko. They are all safety first. There's alot of money to be made in not getting hit. There are also guys like Pacquiao, Calzaghe, Williams. Those are guys who overwhelm opponents, essentially smothering the offensive side. It seems that boxing is more boxing-friendly than brawling-friendly today. Even here, it appears that people like the style of Mayweather who will box his ass off for 12 rounds as opposed to Margarito, whose looking to knock your ass out with each punch he throws. Against the better defenders, like we have today, the one punch, one hitter quiters dont have time to load up on that one punch.

A list of one punch KO guys for today would be:

Cotto
Mosley
Margarito
Hatton
Angulo
Pavlik
Abraham
Haye
Peter
Tua(still)
Cintron
Maidana
Judah
Darchinyan

All of these guys can KO you with one punch. They have had to adjust their games to keep pace with guys who are either safety first or buzzsaw's that throw 1300 punches per fight. One punchers are still there, like they have always been. I dont think that there are any fewer than before. Its just that with performance enhancing drugs and an emphasis on more defense to preserve one's career, the actual act of a one punch KO is less prevalent.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 29 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #32

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 29 2010, 09:53 AM) *
This is a great subject. I think that there are just as many 1 punch KO artists as there have ever been. I think that the best pound for pound guys are better defensively that we have seen in the past. Look at guys like Hopkins, Mayweather, Wlad Klitschko. They are all safety first. There's alot of money to be made in not getting hit. There are also guys like Pacquiao, Calzaghe, Williams. Those are guys who overwhelm opponents, essentially smothering the offensive side. It seems that boxing is more boxing-friendly than brawling-friendly today. Even here, it appears that people like the style of Mayweather who will box his ass off for 12 rounds as opposed to Margarito, whose looking to knock your ass out with each punch he throws. Against the better defenders, like we have today, the one punch, one hitter quiters dont have time to load up on that one punch.

Cotto
Mosley
Margarito
Hatton
Angulo
Pavlik
Abraham
Haye
Peter
Tua(still)
Cintron
Maidana
Judah
Darchinyan

All of these guys can KO you with one punch. They have had to adjust their games to keep pace with guys who are either safety first or buzzsaw's that throw 1300 punches per fight. One punchers are still there, like they have always been. I dont think that there are any fewer than before. Its just that with performance enhancing drugs and an emphasis on more defense to preserve one's career, the actual act of a one punch KO is less prevalent.

Of the guys you listed,I don't see many with 1 punch KO power against elite guys with a decent chin..Also,I don't consider guys who end fights with liver shots as 1 punch KO artists UNLESS they are known for the punch like Micky Ward or Chavez SR because it is an art to be able to continue gettin that shot in..If you have 1 liver shot KO on record,it could of just been luck,ya know??

Margarito??How many punches did Cotto take against him while he had loaded gloves??Hatton??I used to think he when he was blowing through guys while moving up the ranks but he wasn't fighting elite guys..

Wlad Klitchko be on the list for sure..He's got serious power in his right and also has power in the left..He tends to soften guys up first like Vitali but Wlad has shown to have the ability to end things with 1 shot..Vitali also has 1 punch power but doesn't show it as much as Wlad..

This post has been edited by JonnyBlaze: Jul 29 2010, 06:06 PM

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 29 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #33

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

I think Abraham, Angulo, Maidana, and Darchinyan are the legitimate guys on that list.

The biggest issue is the game in general. You've fighters being trained to fight in the amateurs, turning pro and thinking putting weight behind their shot is using all their power, and don't have a trainer to teach them to sit on their punches.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 29 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #34

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jul 29 2010, 10:53 AM) *

Cotto
Mosley
Margarito
Hatton
Angulo
Pavlik
Abraham
Haye
Peter
Tua(still)
Cintron
Maidana
Judah
Darchinyan

I really don't consider the likes of Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Hatton, Pavlik, or Judah to be one punch KO artists. Judah against two bit opposition may show that power but he's never shown it against a top guy. Hatton is a pure mauler that gets it done by roughing you up and breaking you down. All the likes of Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, and Pavlik do it through accumulation more than anything.

Now Maidana, Darchinyan, Angulo, and Abraham have shown that they can end a fight with one good punch. They punch very crisply with alot of bodyweight behind their shots. The commitment is there and thus they get results. None of them is a great boxer per say, but they can crack for sure.

To add, I think we have alot of guys that are just very safety first as well. They throw their shots but with no intentions to hurt, just score. Its that amatuer mentality and style that some just never get out of. Case in point, Paul Malignaggi. Paul Williams you can say is another though when he wants to commit, he can hit guys with some solid shots. David Reid was a classic example of this. Its the reason why his style never adapted to the pros.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 29 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #35

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jul 29 2010, 06:50 PM) *
I think Abraham, Angulo, Maidana, and Darchinyan are the legitimate guys on that list.

The biggest issue is the game in general. You've fighters being trained to fight in the amateurs, turning pro and thinking putting weight behind their shot is using all their power, and don't have a trainer to teach them to sit on their punches.

Exactly what I've been saying..To truely use all your body weight is not an easy thing to learn at all..Also when you do use it,you also need to learn to stay perfectly balanced when missing like Ray Robinson and Benny Leonard could do..

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 11:07 PM