IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joe Louis vs Muhammad Ali(Cassius Clay era)...
PR316
post Jul 29 2010, 09:30 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Back in the days this was the comparison constantly made.

Louis was a guy who did everything textbook perfect we can say. The technique, the power in both hands, the footwork, accuracy, combination punching, and the ability to think/adjust in the ring.

Ali was the total opposite. He did almost everything wrong. He held his hands low, pulled straight back from punches, but because he was such a gifted athlete with so much speed and balance, he was able to get away with it alot of the time. Ali was a great improvisor. He could make adjustments on the fly. He just had a feel for everything.

Could see it going either way. I guess Louis is the favorite. But Ali's style would be unlike anything he's ever dealt with. The hand speed and the ability to move out of range was quite remarkable for a man the size of Ali. For everything he did wrong, he just had a way of making it work.

How does everyone else feel?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 29 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #2

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,970

Even with the dancing shoes on I think Louis could take Ali, however they both have an equal chance of winning. I see it going to a decision and think it'd depend on what the judges were looking for. I'm going with Louis by MD.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 29 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #3

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

Well you could of went with the CC version of Ali who was vulnerable to shots and a lot easier to put down than when he changed his name and after..CC would of been put down several times and in my opinion KO'd by the killer Louis..Yeah,CC would be dancing but I could see Louis parrying Ali's jab,then sliding over to the left with a belly jab and then bring his right leg back to position to close distance and come with a left hook that would put CC down..Just one situation I see happening..

+Quote Post
PR316
post Jul 30 2010, 10:25 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

^^^^^ Well if Ali had a Henry Cooper moment anytime NOT towards the end of the round, I definitely see a KO for Louis. I guess we'd give Ali the benefit of the doubt that because it was JOE LOUIS, that he'd be on his game and focused much like he was against Liston.

The question I have is how would Louis react to a guy that moves so well and can punch very fast too?... I don't think Ali had the power to put Louis down. He would have to rely on his speed and skills to keep Louis at bay. Ali was a little taller, and had a 4 inch reach advantage I believe. That would be key because he doesn't not want to be anywhere near the range of Louis. This isn't Foreman here. The Brown Bomber knew how to open you up and put shots together.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jul 30 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 30 2010, 11:25 AM) *
^^^^^ Well if Ali had a Henry Cooper moment anytime NOT towards the end of the round, I definitely see a KO for Louis. I guess we'd give Ali the benefit of the doubt that because it was JOE LOUIS, that he'd be on his game and focused much like he was against Liston.

The question I have is how would Louis react to a guy that moves so well and can punch very fast too?... I don't think Ali had the power to put Louis down. He would have to rely on his speed and skills to keep Louis at bay. Ali was a little taller, and had a 4 inch reach advantage I believe. That would be key because he doesn't not want to be anywhere near the range of Louis. This isn't Foreman here. The Brown Bomber knew how to open you up and put shots together.

It's hard to use this fight as an example since Liston had a monstrous 84" reach, but during the fight there were some times where I was thinking Louis would use a combo rather than a single shot and could catch Ali. Louis could definitely parry the jab and drop a bomb[no pun intended] on him too.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Jul 30 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #6

The Savage

QUOTE (PR316 @ Jul 30 2010, 10:25 AM) *

Billy Conn is the guy you're talkin about..Everyone says the movement gave Louis problems but watch the first few rounds..Louis can move really fast as well but didn't have to since he'd be dealing with heavyweights,not middleweights..Louis would also keep his side position,Ali would not be able to work many angles on him by getting to the side of Louis..Louis would keep lined up on guys moving on him and would keep guys out of alignment when he'd be moving on them..Also,Louis would slip jabs and have a counter for the jab while slipping..Ali could catch and uppercut to the floating rib,an overhand over his jab,or a cross to the body(that would look like a hook because of his side position which is how he'd have so much power in the punch)..

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Aug 7 2010, 03:24 AM
Post #7

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

So Johnny in other words there was nothing Ali could do that Louis couldn't either stop, counter, or do better? Basically Ali had no chance in beating Louis?

I think Ali had a damn good chance at beating Louis. Louis never fought a guy like Ali. He fought guys that had a similar quality that Ali possessed but not all in one. I think Ali's quick jab followed by the occasional right hand, reflexes and footwork would be enough to get him a decision over Louis. I understand the text book technique Louis possessed but Ali was a different breed of fighter that Louis had never seen.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 8 2010, 02:24 PM
Post #8

The Savage

QUOTE (King Eugene @ Aug 7 2010, 03:24 AM) *
So Johnny in other words there was nothing Ali could do that Louis couldn't either stop, counter, or do better? Basically Ali had no chance in beating Louis?

I think Ali had a damn good chance at beating Louis. Louis never fought a guy like Ali. He fought guys that had a similar quality that Ali possessed but not all in one. I think Ali's quick jab followed by the occasional right hand, reflexes and footwork would be enough to get him a decision over Louis. I understand the text book technique Louis possessed but Ali was a different breed of fighter that Louis had never seen.

hahaa..Naw man..Ali would be in the fight for sure..Louis had good footwork too..Ali had a faster jab but Louis had a harder and straighter one in my opinion..What I was saying what certain situations I think that could happen..Could Ali score a flash knockdown on Louis??I think so,but Ali didn't have the thunder to keep him down..

Ali and Billy Conn are similar..That takes nothing away from either one either..Billy Conn is an ATG..They had different moves though of course..

I think Louis would KO or UD Ali but it is possible Ali could win..I just give Louis the real edge..We've seen Ali go down,especially during the CC days..Louis is a harder puncher than the guys he fought pre-rope-a-dope era..Louis would find holes to the body in the rope-a-dope too though in my opinion..Louis was a great body puncher and put everything into those shots..

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 8 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority but I think Clay could get the decision. Clay wouldn't get overconfident like Conn, he'd definitely outpoint Louis if he sticks to a game plan. Ali also changed his name after the first Liston fight and I like him in the Liston fight despite being vulnerable.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Aug 8 2010, 10:45 PM
Post #10

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

I think the only way to beat a prime Louis is to use a pumping jab (ala Holmes) & constant lateral circling. Louis would only punch when in range & set so you have to keep him turning & not let him get in range or set. Could that be done for a full 15 rounds? It is hard to say & you would have to be aware & on the ball for every second of every round.

Walking through his punches to get your own off is a sure fire way to get hurt & hurt badly & if you fight in spurts you will get caught.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 01:40 PM