> Question About MMA vs. Boxing?
STEVENSKI
post Aug 2 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #11

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 3 2010, 07:09 AM) *
The 5-round title matches are a little better. But I like the longer distance durations that boxing provides. It demonstrates the importance of endurance and stamina in conditioning. MMA guys don't have to have that long of an endurance clip because their fights are so much shorter. Longer distances, are the true measuring sticks of boxing champions. And MMA, no matter what spin you put on it, can't say that.

I'd like to hear how other people feel about this.

Jack

Sorry I don't buy the endurance factor one iota. MMA involves a lot more energy being expended when grappling & fighting over the round than comparable in boxing. You always get exceptions to the norm but I believe that MMA fighters are much better conditioned on average than boxers.

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 3 2010, 09:24 AM) *
Barbarians vs. scientists??

Considering MMA has far more possible moves & diciplines than boxing you could well be right. Boxing is quite barbarian like with only a limited moveset to choose from.

Get with the programme Jon. Boxing is dying by the day whilst MMA is getting stronger by the second.

Having attended a UFC event I was extremely impressed with the whole setup & boxing a has a long long long way to go to even get close to the slick presentation & branding of the UFC. The whole way their operation was impressed me from the build up programmes to the fact that Bruce Buffer kept us informed of what was happening with little things like telling us the next fight was 10 minutes away so do what you gotta do.

I love boxing but it is losing ground constantly with all the schenadigans & trickerations that transpire between the fighters & promoters it is getting worse rather than better.

This post has been edited by STEVENSKI: Aug 2 2010, 07:51 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Aug 2 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #12

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Bruce Buffer kept us informed of what was happening with little things like telling us the next fight was 10 minutes away so do what you gotta do.

That could be true. But Bruce is no Michael. Michael is more professional. Bruce is just trying to clone him, and its so obvious. Michael would often screw up ring intros and the reading of scorecards. I don't know if Bruce does or not, because I don't watch enough MMA to draw a comparison.

Jack

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Aug 2 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #13

Chief Haterizer

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 3 2010, 11:24 AM) *
That could be true. But Bruce is no Michael. Michael is more professional. Bruce is just trying to clone him, and its so obvious. Michael would often screw up ring intros and the reading of scorecards. I don't know if Bruce does or not, because I don't watch enough MMA to draw a comparison.

Jack

It was more so the flow & way the event was handled that impressed me immensely. What was also good was at this event the people I talked to had a good knowledge of MMA & had flown from all over the country to attend it so were real fans. I guess there must be a lot of beer swiling rednecks that love UFC in America though.

The whole event was classy. I love boxing & boxing could learn a lot from the way the UFC events are run. How often do you see a fighter make their opponent wait for 10 minutes or there being a 45 wait between fights because the fighters "aren't ready". That does not happen in UFC.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Aug 2 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #14

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 3 2010, 12:20 AM) *
lol, that's not a very good question.

Anyway you slice it, boxing cards majority of the times have 1 good fight. A UFC card is stacked with several. You would be good at maths (you like that stereotype? haha, sorry man you have got it the last couple of days. It will be someones elses turn next week probably). The probability is much higher in boxing to walk away disappointed.

But I think Jack's point is not to compare MMA events to boxing events as an explanation to why fans react differently to short matches, but rather a short fight in MMA vs a short fight in boxing. So the question is actually very valid. Do you think an MMA fan would have the same reaction as a boxing fan to a short match, irregardless of the previous cards?

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 2 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #15

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 2 2010, 08:20 PM) *
lol, that's not a very good question.

Anyway you slice it, boxing cards majority of the times have 1 good fight.

That's not true. While there has been times where only one fight has stood out, I would say that the majority of the time I find numerous fights very entertaining. I think the more accurate statement would be "There is only 1 fight that appeals to the casual fan."

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 2 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #16

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 2 2010, 07:47 PM) *
Sorry I don't buy the endurance factor one iota. MMA involves a lot more energy being expended when grappling & fighting over the round than comparable in boxing. You always get exceptions to the norm but I believe that MMA fighters are much better conditioned on average than boxers.

Considering MMA has far more possible moves & diciplines than boxing you could well be right. Boxing is quite barbarian like with only a limited moveset to choose from.

Get with the programme Jon. Boxing is dying by the day whilst MMA is getting stronger by the second.

Having attended a UFC event I was extremely impressed with the whole setup & boxing a has a long long long way to go to even get close to the slick presentation & branding of the UFC. The whole way their operation was impressed me from the build up programmes to the fact that Bruce Buffer kept us informed of what was happening with little things like telling us the next fight was 10 minutes away so do what you gotta do.

I love boxing but it is losing ground constantly with all the schenadigans & trickerations that transpire between the fighters & promoters it is getting worse rather than better.

Last fights I went to they did this too..

It's sad to see this outta ya Steve..I never see ya talkin about much boxing these days that ya come on..Disappointing..Then ya say boxing is dying more each day..

I'm not going to put my opinion about boxing's science and MMA's barbaric ways just cause it's useless,it'll just be a reply that I'm biased or some stupid shit like that..Waste of my time..

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 2 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #17

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Aug 2 2010, 08:23 PM) *
Because most mma fans are fucking dumb ass rednecks, and apparently add runs in their inbred genetic pools.

That could explain the overlap with wrestling fans.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Aug 2 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #18

Cerebral Ape

Member No.: 5,390

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 2 2010, 09:40 PM) *

It's sad to see this outta ya Steve..I never see ya talkin about much boxing these days that ya come on..Disappointing..Then ya say boxing is dying more each day..

I'm not going to put my opinion about boxing's science and MMA's barbaric ways just cause it's useless,it'll just be a reply that I'm biased or some stupid shit like that..Waste of my time..

Get 'em jonny. Get your trainer on here to tell these bitches whats up also.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 2 2010, 08:50 PM
Post #19

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 2 2010, 09:40 PM) *

I noticed that we're seeing a lot less of good ole' Steve too. I just figured he got a new job. Maybe Steve has crossed over?

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Aug 2 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #20

Chief Haterizer

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 3 2010, 11:40 AM) *

It's not that I dislike boxing & don't wanna talk but at home I have a shitty net connection (til I get my new one hooked up) & I just don't have much time to talk boxing ATM having moved my entire life across the country & all that stuff.

Boxing seems to want to hurt itself rather than grow & lets MMA gain ground daily with it's slick production values & branding. I don't have time to break it down properly but I will try to explain why boxing is starting to lose me.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 08:58 AM