> Question About MMA vs. Boxing?
STEVENSKI
post Aug 2 2010, 08:53 PM
Post #21

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 3 2010, 11:50 AM) *
I noticed that we're seeing a lot less of good ole' Steve too. I just figured he got a new job. Maybe Steve has crossed over?

Nah I just moved across the country & started a new job role & had to find somewhere to live etc. Steve will be back with a vengance shortly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 2 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #22

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 2 2010, 09:53 PM) *
Nah I just moved across the country & started a new job role & had to find somewhere to live etc. Steve will be back with a vengance shortly.

Great! That's what I wanted to here.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Aug 2 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #23

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 2 2010, 09:40 PM) *
Last fights I went to they did this too..

It's sad to see this outta ya Steve..I never see ya talkin about much boxing these days that ya come on..Disappointing..Then ya say boxing is dying more each day..

I'm not going to put my opinion about boxing's science and MMA's barbaric ways just cause it's useless,it'll just be a reply that I'm biased or some stupid shit like that..Waste of my time..

Say it ain't so Johnny. Someone who trains in any type of combat sport should never brand another with that name. Let's not forget all the infidel non-boxing fans who deem the sport as barbarian. They mistakenly think boxing is filled with nothing but shady characters. Every boxer is just another dumb sap who likes to get hit and the only thing they want to do is hurt someone. For these people most boxing matches are nothing but replicas of Rocky Balboa fights, where two guys show up and swing until the other is down. That is pure ignorance and you ,my dear Johnny, are doing the same thing with MMA.

Barbarism might have been the old MMA fights but not anymore. The science might not seem as sweet to you as boxing is but it is a science nonetheless. At the end of the day both require hard training to hone skills and to go along with the talent. You cannot half ass it in either boxing or MMA.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 2 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #24

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Aug 2 2010, 05:09 PM) *
What I don't understand is,

How come if a boxing match ends in say 90 seconds, people think they got ripped off. But if an MMA fight ends in 90 seconds, many people think that's amazing? I have seen some of these MMA events that are over at the drop of a hat, and so many people think that's great, even if they paid $50 for it. But for boxing, you pay $50 for a PPV that ends in 90 seconds, people think that sucks.

EVERYONE likes brutal KO's, Jack. I mean, let's not muck about. Why were Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano, George Foreman, and Mike Tyson among the most popular fighters the sport has ever seen? It wasn't because they were bastions of the "sweet science."

Why do I always hear people knocking Floyd Gayweather? Or the fucking Klitchskos? Because they are excellent strategists. They are true pillars of boxing's technical side. Yet all I hear is bitching and whining from boxing's arm-chair QBs because those fighters don't finish fights.

And then, goddamn it, God forbid a fucking MMA fan stand up and cheer for a knockout. Oh God, those fucking barbarians. They just don't get it. Man, fuck off with that shit.

Personally, for boxing, I like the fighter to get some rounds in. I love knockouts but I don't want the fights to be over too quickly. I would like 3 rounds of action or more for my money in most cases. And of course, if a fight is a two-sided 12 round war, or in the earlier years of 15 rounds, what MMA purist would not love to see something like that!? Now, the MMA contests even at non-title duration are too short. Only 3 rounds for non-title fights? You just get into a fight, and its over.

3 rounds that are 5 minutes a piece. (In Pride the first round was 10 minutes!) Man, dude, seriously, it is more than enough.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. That's like saying, "Oh, Major League Baseball has over 100 games a year. What NFL fan would not love to see something like that!?" Well, none that actually give a damn about the sport. The wear and tear accumulated over each respective sport differs dramatically. As does the stamina required to perform efficiently. Boxing and MMA is no different.

This is just petulant at this point. "Boxing has 12 WHOLE rounds, the UFC only has 5 at best. Ha ha! Boxing wins!"

The 5-round title matches are a little better. But I like the longer distance durations that boxing provides. It demonstrates the importance of endurance and stamina in conditioning. MMA guys don't have to have that long of an endurance clip because their fights are so much shorter. Longer distances, are the true measuring sticks of boxing champions. And MMA, no matter what spin you put on it, can't say that.

Again, complete horse-shit man. Go get your ass grounded down by a professional Jiu-Jitsu artist for five minutes, and then come back and tell me if you want 10, or even 20 more minutes of that shit.

There are more opportunities to get a breather in boxing. Clinch, circle, lean against the ropes, take a fucking knee, fake a punch to the back of the head or a low blow. I've seen it all. Take a knee in MMA and see what happens. Try to circle aways and see what happens.

(IMG:http://berndto.net/images/GIFS/157204423596hs.gif)

(IMG:http://berndto.net/images/GIFS/RashadKOSalmon.gif)

Clinch and get your ass worked over with knees and elbows.

(IMG:http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/193047/shogun-rampage-2.gif)

Lean against the cage and count the number of seconds before your pansy ass is on the receiving end of a concussion and a body slam.

Let's throw in boxing's turtle-shell defense, the one Winky Wright's gay ass loves so much. You know Wright, yes, that true bastion of the sweet science that no one likes because he's boring as fuck? Walk into an MMA ring with that kind of fucking defense. Imagine him getting his fucking arms broken from kicks, or getting his turtled-up as slammed to the ground by someone like Quentin "Rampage" Jackson. And then tell me if the Wankster wants 10 or 20 more minutes of that shit?

(IMG:http://berndto.net/images/GIFS/rampage-arona.gif)

I'd like to hear how other people feel about this.

I wouldn't man, this shit is just getting old. I love combat sports. I love boxing, and I love MMA. And I'm sick of fans from both sides trying to compare the sport at this point.

You guys need to just fucking grow up already. You never hear the NBA, MLB, or NFL comparing themselves to each other. It's just fucking horse-shit. You don't even hear NASCAR trying to compare themselves to F-1, man.

Do boxing fans really have such a HUGE inferiority complex that the only thing they can do is sit around coming up with propaganda-style postings about how much more awesome boxing is than MMA? Man, boxing's got a TON of fucking problems now. Get that shit fixed before you take your ass over to someone else's house telling them what's wrong there.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 2 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #25

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 2 2010, 10:25 PM) *
Say it ain't so Johnny. Someone who trains in any type of combat sport should never brand another with that name. Let's not forget all the infidel non-boxing fans who deem the sport as barbarian. They mistakenly think boxing is filled with nothing but shady characters. Every boxer is just another dumb sap who likes to get hit and the only thing they want to do is hurt someone. For these people most boxing matches are nothing but replicas of Rocky Balboa fights, where two guys show up and swing until the other is down. That is pure ignorance and you ,my dear Johnny, are doing the same thing with MMA.

Barbarism might have been the old MMA fights but not anymore. The science might not seem as sweet to you as boxing is but it is a science nonetheless. At the end of the day both require hard training to hone skills and to go along with the talent. You cannot half ass it in either boxing or MMA.

Amen, brother. I wish we had more posters endowed with this type of common sense. But, as Murphy's Law #13 states: Common sense is not so common.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Aug 2 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #26

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Ive been to many live pro MMA shows here and I took MMA for 1 year but I like Boxing more. I grew up on it..and stand up to me is REAL fighting..not ground fighting. Thats just how I feel. I like MMA too but Boxing >>>

+Quote Post
BigG
post Aug 2 2010, 10:39 PM
Post #27

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Sorry I don't buy the endurance factor one iota. MMA involves a lot more energy being expended when grappling & fighting over the round than comparable in boxing. You always get exceptions to the norm but I believe that MMA fighters are much better conditioned on average than boxers.

I disagree with this, completely.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 2 2010, 10:57 PM
Post #28

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (BigG @ Aug 2 2010, 11:39 PM) *
I disagree with this, completely.

Of course you do. You just said you like boxing more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

In regards to your earlier statement, a fight is a fight. Wherever it's at.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 2 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #29

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Whatever... MMA fans are just as bad as boxing fans when it comes to the other sport. The argument is pretty damn retarded any way you look at it. Two different sports.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 3 2010, 02:54 AM
Post #30

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

Hahahahaha..You guys really crack me up on here with this MMA/boxing shit..It's too funny seein ya guys gettin so worked up over this shit..A year ago,I'd be in the thick of this debate but not these days..I just sit back and laugh while throwin a couple comments in from time to time and see how ya guys react..

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 08:42 PM