Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question About MMA vs. Boxing?
streetlion1
post Aug 3 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #31

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,534

Personally I feel one is a sport and one is not....though the athletes from both train just as hard. To me there is more entertainment in watching a street fight outside of a bar than watching an MMA fight...no matter how long the fight lasts. I was a boxer....now I train kids to box....will always be purely a boxing fan. I take nothing away from the MMA fighters and how hard they work.....I actually watched Lesnar-Carwin and enjoyed it.....however when the argument comes up of MMA vs Boxing there is no contest. Boxing will always be number 1.

Really they shouldnt be compared though....let boxing stand on its own and let MMA stand on its own.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Aug 3 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #32

Cerebral Ape

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 5,390

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 2 2010, 10:25 PM) *
Say it ain't so Johnny. Someone who trains in any type of combat sport should never brand another with that name. Let's not forget all the infidel non-boxing fans who deem the sport as barbarian. They mistakenly think boxing is filled with nothing but shady characters. Every boxer is just another dumb sap who likes to get hit and the only thing they want to do is hurt someone. For these people most boxing matches are nothing but replicas of Rocky Balboa fights, where two guys show up and swing until the other is down. That is pure ignorance and you ,my dear Johnny, are doing the same thing with MMA.

Barbarism might have been the old MMA fights but not anymore. The science might not seem as sweet to you as boxing is but it is a science nonetheless. At the end of the day both require hard training to hone skills and to go along with the talent. You cannot half ass it in either boxing or MMA.

Let's be honest here, both sports, are in fact, pretty damn barbaric. I am not going to argue whether one is more barbaric than the other, or what place this kind of barbarism has in modern society. But beating another man in the face for sport, is inherently barbaric. I don't care how good you get at it, or how hard you work on the strategy, or how scientific it is, or how much "talent" it requires, at the end of the day both sports are brutal and barbaric.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Aug 3 2010, 09:13 AM
Post #33

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Aug 3 2010, 10:09 AM) *
Let's be honest here, both sports, are in fact, pretty damn barbaric. I am not going to argue whether one is more barbaric than the other, or what place this kind of barbarism has in modern society. But beating another man in the face for sport, is inherently barbaric. I don't care how good you get at it, or how hard you work on the strategy, or how scientific it is, or how much "talent" it requires, at the end of the day both sports are brutal and barbaric.

I agree. That's why we watch it.

Hahahahaha..You guys really crack me up on here with this MMA/boxing shit..It's too funny seein ya guys gettin so worked up over this shit..A year ago,I'd be in the thick of this debate but not these days..I just sit back and laugh while throwin a couple comments in from time to time and see how ya guys react..

You must have been kidding Johnny, because those comments you made were pretty dumb.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Aug 3 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #34

Cerebral Ape

[quote name='Mean Mister Mustard' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:13 AM' post='495359'

You must have been kidding Johnny, because those comments you made were pretty dumb.
[/quote]
Take it easy on Jonny. I see Jonny as fighthypes "gym boy." He's like the kid in the gym that is trying to learn about all sorts of shit, and will do whatever it takes to be around boxing. Carry the fighters gloves, handle the spit bucket, mop up blood. He's like the kid in the Mean Joe Green coke commercial that was so happy when he got his jersey.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Aug 3 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #35

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

QUOTE (rusty_trombone @ Aug 3 2010, 10:26 AM) *
[quote name='Mean Mister Mustard' date='Aug 3 2010, 10:13 AM' post='495359'

Take it easy on Jonny. I see Jonny as fighthypes "gym boy." He's like the kid in the gym that is trying to learn about all sorts of shit, and will do whatever it takes to be around boxing. Carry the fighters gloves, handle the spit bucket, mop up blood. He's like the kid in the Mean Joe Green coke commercial that was so happy when he got his jersey.

LOL "gym boy".

After all the extreme training drills his trainer puts him through, I'm sure Johnny can handle it.

I understand where he's coming from though. I've talked to boxers and trainers who have been around the sport all their lives and all of a sudden they see MMA, where guys can pin one another on a cage and rain elbows on them, and they immediatly say that they can;t handle it, it's too barbaric. But like you said; isn't pinning a guy in a corner and smashing his face and body with gloves a bit savage as well?

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Aug 3 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #36

Cerebral Ape

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Aug 3 2010, 10:34 AM) *
But like you said; isn't pinning a guy in a corner and smashing his face and body with gloves a bit savage as well?

Yeah, very savage. The point of boxing to smash a mans head good enough to damage his thinking capability. That's pretty brutal.

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Aug 3 2010, 07:47 PM
Post #37

Cerebral Ape

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 3 2010, 04:58 PM) *
Which one isn't? Sorry, my mind is drawing blank. I am thinking of both combats and they both fit the criteria of a sport, which one isn't the sport and why?

mma isn't the sport, duh fitz. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes_anim.gif)

+Quote Post
Keith
post Aug 3 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #38

Welterweight

Member No.: 10,273

I dont have a problem with both mma and boxing being classified as sport but...

My brother and I had this discussion not long ago and he shifted my opinion on it. His argument was that mma was much more combat and boxing was much more sport.

He maintains that a sport is a competition between 2 or more people all doing the essentially the same thing, as is the case with boxing... 2 people engaging in a competition to see who can land and defend against punches. He pointed out that this is not the case with mma, that it pits 2 guys who could, and often are, doing vastly different things to each other... and because of this fundamental difference from boxing, mma becomes much more about the punishment inflicted rather then who is better at a particular skill.

I gave some thought to his observation and believe it has some merit. I have seen few mma fights where I felt the winner had not inflicted the most damage during the fight. I see boxers win fights having not inflicted more damage then their opponent much more often.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 3 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #39

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Fitz, let it go dude... It's a sport!

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 4 2010, 05:54 AM
Post #40

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

That's why Fitz is P4P here. He's one of the few guys I've seen who consistently calls shit right down the middle. Stevenski is another. I don't know how many times this topic is going to repeat itself here, but it's damn sure getting old, and I think everyone has pretty much made their feelings known. Ad nauseum.

Jack, you really outta know better too, bro.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 01:40 PM