> Question About MMA vs. Boxing?
Keith
post Aug 4 2010, 06:15 AM
Post #41

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,273

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 4 2010, 03:55 AM) *
Keith, personally I feel your brother is wrong. I think his assessment may be right about them doing different things and being more combat. But being more combat doesn't make it any less of a sport. It is governed by rules and it's competitive. That to me is a sport.

I have no problem with it being classified as sport. I was just throwing that out there for some discussion.

I think my brothers idea of sport has merit but it's not the end all interpretation. If all something has to be is "a physical activity governed by rules and competetive"... then War itself is nothing more then a sport. My brother sees an imaginary dividing line dividing combat and sport.

And for the record... mma is a great whatever classification is placed upon it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 4 2010, 06:31 AM
Post #42

Guests

QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 4 2010, 09:15 PM) *
I have no problem with it being classified as sport. I was just throwing that out there for some discussion.

I think my brothers idea of sport has merit but it's not the end all interpretation. If all something has to be is "a physical activity governed by rules and competetive"... then War itself is nothing more then a sport. My brother sees an imaginary dividing line dividing combat and sport.

And for the record... mma is a great whatever classification is placed upon it.

That's cool. I understood what the point was and agreed with how he summed up MMA, though I just think at the end of the day, it is definitely a sport.

About the bolded part. War is more than a sport. It's the pinnacle of sport, and it's what sports aspire to. That is why when you get Gatti-Ward type of fights, they declare it a 'war'. War is more than a sport, and it's so badass, it has it's own category.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Keith
post Aug 4 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #43

Welterweight

Member No.: 10,273

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 4 2010, 07:31 AM) *
About the bolded part. War is more than a sport. It's the pinnacle of sport, and it's what sports aspire to. That is why when you get Gatti-Ward type of fights, they declare it a 'war'. War is more than a sport, and it's so badass, it has it's own category.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

My new sig.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Aug 4 2010, 07:12 AM
Post #44

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 4 2010, 08:54 PM) *
That's why Fitz is P4P here. He's one of the few guys I've seen who consistently calls shit right down the middle. Stevenski is another. I don't know how many times this topic is going to repeat itself here, but it's damn sure getting old, and I think everyone has pretty much made their feelings known. Ad nauseum.

Jack, you really outta know better too, bro.

I think Jack raised some interesting points about MMA.

Most MMA fans can enjoy a fight that ends in 90 seconds & a lot of boxing fans get pissed when a fight ends in 90 seconds. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that when you shell out $50 for a HBO/Showtime fight card you genrally get average at best undercard fights but mostly house fighters getting easy wins over scrubs & a great (on paper at least) main event. If that main event does not live up to the hype you feel ripped off somewhat. A UFC PPV event usually has a balanced undercard with good fights & a good to great main event so even if the main event does not satisfy the overall card usually does.

The 5 minute rounds in MMA can feel overly long to a boxing fan & 3-5 rounds can seem short but a non championship fight goes for 6-10 rounds which is 18-30 minutes with 6-10 minutes of recovery time at shorter intervals. a 3 round MMA fight has 15 minutes of fighting with 3 minutes of recovery at longer intervals which is why fighter can appear to get gassed in fewer rounds. The same goes for championship fights 36 minutes of fighting with 12 minutes recovery & 25 minutes of fighting with 5 minutes recovery.

This may seem stupid to many on here & I am typing this throught half closed eyes but that is my opinion on this. Both sports (yes they are sports) take huge amounts of athletic ability, hard work & talent to be succesfull in.

Someone could probably explain it better than me but there is room for both combat sports it is just boxing continually shoots itself in the foot with the attitude & ego of the big names. In MMA you can have attitude & ego in MMA but at least you will continually get put to the test & have few "soft" fights as a champion.

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Aug 4 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #45

Welterweight

Member No.: 195

QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 4 2010, 12:30 AM) *
I dont have a problem with both mma and boxing being classified as sport but...

My brother and I had this discussion not long ago and he shifted my opinion on it. His argument was that mma was much more combat and boxing was much more sport.

He maintains that a sport is a competition between 2 or more people all doing the essentially the same thing, as is the case with boxing... 2 people engaging in a competition to see who can land and defend against punches. He pointed out that this is not the case with mma, that it pits 2 guys who could, and often are, doing vastly different things to each other... and because of this fundamental difference from boxing, mma becomes much more about the punishment inflicted rather then who is better at a particular skill.

Ever watched a fight between a boxer and a power puncher? Two guys doing differant things to attempt to win a fight. If your brother educates himself on MMA he will realize there are no more karate guys v/s wrestling v/s bjj...ect...ect...ect...

Its called MMA for a reason, The athletes crosstrain in many differant disciplines now. Just because a fighter got his start in K1 or Wrestling or BJJ, they are far from being type cast in that roll now. All World class fighters are crosstrained in numberous fighting styles.

its not what the ufc was when hoyce gracie first came onto the scene.

My main point being, the fighters like boxers have a style they are comfortable fighting in. Just because a fighter prefers grappling because of a wrestling or BJJ background, does not mean they lack the ability to fight in another style if they choose. Think Bj Penn and Anderson Silva.

I love how some of my fellow boxing fans have decided that Boxing is a "more refined sport" with their noses in the air. You can be hardcore fans of both. I disagree with it attracting differant fans as well. Almost all boxing fans love MMA, and MMA attracts fans who can no longer stomache boxing.

That being said we can do without the farces that are determined before they are fought, ala Hopkins v/s Delahoya.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 4 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #46

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 4 2010, 03:55 AM) *
It's a thread about boxing vs MMA, it has been brought up how maybe it isn't a 'sport'. I am just discussing it, and whether someone likes the sport or not I literally can't see how it could not be classified as a sport.

I know, but there's no point in discussing with someone that is blind to the facts. I can't stand MMA but to NOT consider it a sport is among the most ridiculous things ever posted here.

This post has been edited by D-MARV: Aug 4 2010, 11:40 AM

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Aug 4 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #47

Cerebral Ape

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 5,390

I actually like the UFC better when it was karate vs biker bar fighter. or kick boxing vs. wrestler. I think the current system of everyone knowing how to do a whole bunch of things shittily makes it less entertaining.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Aug 4 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #48

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Does the community believe that as a consensus it is fine for boxing and MMA to co-exist as two seperate sports, with neither one better than the other, just different?

Jack

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 4 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #49

Guests

QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 4 2010, 08:54 PM) *
That's why Fitz is P4P here. He's one of the few guys I've seen who consistently calls shit right down the middle. Stevenski is another. I don't know how many times this topic is going to repeat itself here, but it's damn sure getting old, and I think everyone has pretty much made their feelings known. Ad nauseum.

Jack, you really outta know better too, bro.

I missed this the first time. Thanks Warlord, that's usually what I try to do, just call things down the middle. Whether I have an interest in one side or not.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumbsup_anim.gif)

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 4 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #50

Guests

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 5 2010, 02:39 AM) *
I know, but there's no point in discussing with someone that is blind to the facts. I can't stand MMA but to NOT consider it a sport is among the most ridiculous things ever posted here.

Yeah I know, it was ridiculous. But when streetlion said that, sometimes when something I just cannot see. I would like to see how they get to that conclusion, lol.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 05:10 AM