> Question About MMA vs. Boxing?
Keith
post Aug 4 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #51

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,273

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 4 2010, 12:39 PM) *
I know, but there's no point in discussing with someone that is blind to the facts. I can't stand MMA but to NOT consider it a sport is among the most ridiculous things ever posted here.

My brother believes that calling mma a sport doesnt do it justice. I tend to agree.

What exactly is the big deal about not feeling as though its a sport? Does that denigrate it some how? I would think calling mma combat was more of a compliment then a slight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 4 2010, 10:53 PM
Post #52

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Aug 4 2010, 10:24 AM) *
Almost all boxing fans love MMA, and MMA attracts fans who can no longer stomache boxing.

That's not true at all... Yes, many boxing fans are MMA fans as well. BUT many boxing fans I know can't stand MMA. Shit, there's quite a few people on this board that don't watch MMA.

This post has been edited by D-MARV: Aug 4 2010, 10:54 PM

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Aug 4 2010, 11:31 PM
Post #53

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

QUOTE (Keith @ Aug 4 2010, 10:39 PM) *
My brother believes that calling mma a sport doesnt do it justice. I tend to agree.

What exactly is the big deal about not feeling as though its a sport? Does that denigrate it some how? I would think calling mma combat was more of a compliment then a slight.

Although I consider both a sport I took it as he was giving MMA a compliment or indirectly saying it was a tougher sport because of the raised combat level.

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Aug 5 2010, 03:05 AM
Post #54

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

If MMA was a system where a fight had no rounds, and no time limit, no rules, and was allowed to go s long as it needed till a fighter got stopped or surrendered, then i can see an argument for it not being a sport. Its a fight for money, or a spectacle.

This is how it used to be.

But since then it has added rules, timed rounds, judges. I assume its governed by an athletic safety commission with a series of medical tests and drug tests prior to and after the event. It is now a sport.

The argument that you can have two guys doing vastly different things in the ring, therefore due to lack of consistency in styles is not a sport, doesnt hold water. They are operating according to their own style within a given set of rules. If they choose to, they can use the exact same style as each other, or a completely different set of tactics. But fundamentally they are within the one skillset. Look at chess. A simple set of rules that allow for a wide variety of styles and complex game plans. Just because one guy is trying to implement a closed game defence against the other guys open game attack doesnt mean they aren't playing the same game. Exactly the same as a slick boxer fighting a power slugger, and the wide variety of permutations that lie in between

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Aug 5 2010, 03:41 AM
Post #55

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

I really have no idea why people say MMA isn't a sport (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

Wrestling is a sport, boxing is a sport, kickboxing is a sport, muay thai is a sport, greco wrestling is a sport, BJJ is a sport, judo is a sport...but put them all together in a sport called 'MMA' and it's not?

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 5 2010, 03:54 AM
Post #56

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 4 2010, 10:53 PM) *
That's not true at all... Yes, many boxing fans are MMA fans as well. BUT many boxing fans I know can't stand MMA. Shit, there's quite a few people on this board that don't watch MMA.

I for one,never watch MMA..I may watch 0-4 fights a year..

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 03:37 PM