> Classic Post-Fight Interviews, Please Add Video
caneman
post Aug 5 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #21

Amateur

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (pcraw @ Aug 4 2010, 09:44 PM) *
Who the fuck is Larry Merchant to degrade a fighter? Man I can't wait until he retires!

EXACTLY Prec, but he has been pushed outta line in downtown Philly & he was a so called celebrity! lolz! He won't admit but that don't mean it didn't happen, I know the lil ain'tsta who did it cause I seen it with my own 2 eyes! Larry would have got scuffed it weren't for Bernard Fernadez telling him to STFU before he got hurts...the down side of going for good South Philly Soulfood I guess! I know I enjoyed mine & Larry & Bernard even enjoyed theirs! looz, Larry was about to eat soup for a few months if he didn't chill the fuck out! LOLZ! It was classic! hmmm, 1978 I believe! Showing my age huh?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pcraw
post Aug 5 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #22

The Talent

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,158

QUOTE (caneman @ Aug 5 2010, 09:10 AM) *
EXACTLY Prec, but he has been pushed outta line in downtown Philly & he was a so called celebrity! lolz! He won't admit but that don't mean it didn't happen, I know the lil ain'tsta who did it cause I seen it with my own 2 eyes! Larry would have got scuffed it weren't for Bernard Fernadez telling him to STFU before he got hurts...the down side of going for good South Philly Soulfood I guess! I know I enjoyed mine & Larry & Bernard even enjoyed theirs! looz, Larry was about to eat soup for a few months if he didn't chill the fuck out! LOLZ! It was classic! hmmm, 1978 I believe! Showing my age huh?

Damn, I wish you had video taped it. Lol. Larry Merchant doesn't ask questions people want to hear. Howard Cosell did that. Merchant is just a dick. He only expects blood and guts. You have a guy talking shit about greats like, Mayweather, Winky and B Hop but praising Gatti and Morales like they were the next coming of Ray Robinson. His time is up.

Merchant has been in the game long enough to know the politics of boxing and for him to grill Hopkins like that was unnecessary. I wasn't a fan of the Hakkar fight, but I understood at that time Hopkins had to keep every single one of those belts because people weren't dying to see him. Oscar wouldn't have fought him if he wasn't the Undisputed middleweight champion and he wouldn't have his legacy right now if he hadn't defended those titles 20 times. Fuck Merchant. He ask questions people want to hear? Lol. What question did he ask? He was playing the role of promoter and not commentator.

+Quote Post
JD
post Aug 5 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #23

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

You gotta skip to the 4:00 mark...LOL

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 5 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 1,253

I like Larry and all, but he FAR from calls a spade a spade. Larry calls as he wants to see, and how he wants to see things fluctuates on mood, day. Sometimes he's on. Other times he's way outta line.

Morrade Hakkar was a HORRIFIC opponent, but Larry was outta line in his questioning, and he got taken to task on it.

One of the few times Hopkins was able to think quick on his feet AND articulate it efficiently.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 5 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #25

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (JD @ Aug 5 2010, 12:23 PM) *

You gotta skip to the 4:00 mark...LOL

OMG... LMAO... Good one JD.

Dude was messed up pretty bad!

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Aug 5 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #26

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (pcraw @ Aug 5 2010, 04:33 PM) *
Damn, I wish you had video taped it. Lol. Larry Merchant doesn't ask questions people want to hear. Howard Cosell did that. Merchant is just a dick. He only expects blood and guts. You have a guy talking shit about greats like, Mayweather, Winky and B Hop but praising Gatti and Morales like they were the next coming of Ray Robinson. His time is up.

Merchant has been in the game long enough to know the politics of boxing and for him to grill Hopkins like that was unnecessary. I wasn't a fan of the Hakkar fight, but I understood at that time Hopkins had to keep every single one of those belts because people weren't dying to see him. Oscar wouldn't have fought him if he wasn't the Undisputed middleweight champion and he wouldn't have his legacy right now if he hadn't defended those titles 20 times. Fuck Merchant. He ask questions people want to hear? Lol. What question did he ask? He was playing the role of promoter and not commentator.

Spot on summary. Larry is entertaining, but he's far from the likes of Howard Cosell. Like Meth said, he called it the way he wanted it, not the way it always was, which is probably why people hate him and love him.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 5 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #27

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (pcraw @ Aug 5 2010, 11:33 AM) *

Dead On... Larry doesn't seem to appreciate the science of boxing. All he cares about is "Phone Booth" wars, which is fine but don't talk shit about guys like Hopkins and Wright when you praise the likes of Gatti.

+Quote Post
caneman
post Aug 5 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #28

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (pcraw @ Aug 5 2010, 11:33 AM) *

Yea, it was funny to see @ 16 years old! He almost got fucked by a 14 year old punk! YOU HAD TO BE THERE! That's the "way it was" speaking of Coselll!

This post has been edited by caneman: Aug 5 2010, 01:02 PM

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 5 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,253

Funny thing is, Merchant was a fan of Hopkins leading up to (and jocked his ass during) the Trinidad fight.

+Quote Post
JD
post Aug 5 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #30

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Aug 5 2010, 01:41 PM) *
OMG... LMAO... Good one JD.

Dude was messed up pretty bad!

Marlon Starling got robbed...and was jacked up there.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 06:38 AM