IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just heard from a solid that PBF & King..., have signed a $100 million contract!
thehype
post Aug 11 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #131

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Spyder @ Aug 11 2010, 12:55 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If I were to pick one for Hype, I would circle "loathe"...though I think deep down he "accepts" what people are saying.

BTW, I expect to see Floyd come out of his second retirement and sign to fight Pac before Hype would ever admit that.

You would be wrong on both accounts. I think the word to circle would have been "recognize".

BTW, I've already said time and time again that Floyd 1) wants to fight Pacquiao and 2) wants to fight him in 2011. I expect to see Floyd "come out of his second retirement" shortly AFTER Bernard Hopkins comes out of his retirement and BEFORE Oscar De La Hoya comes out of his.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 11 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #132

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,253

I mean, I know the Clottey fight turned out to be garbage, but, when the fight was announced, in lieu of other negotiations not panning out, I was intrigued and somewhat "excited" (term used loosely, interested more like it). I guess what I'm saying is if the match ups look good enough on paper, as Paq/Clottey did, Paq/Marg does, I cant hate on it in retrospect if they don't turn out that way.

As an aside, I would expect to see Floyd fight again before B-Hop.

+Quote Post
JD
post Aug 11 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #133

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 11 2010, 01:33 PM) *
I would think it would be tough for him to explore other options, like a return to former promoter Artie Pelullo, if he's already a GBP fighter, no?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

Buzz? I don't remember a bunch of people, like Richard Schaefer or Oscar himself, talking about De La Hoya targeting Hatton at all. I mean, did people, like Rafael did in his article, make an assumption that Oscar might want to fight him should he beat Mayweather? Sure. I mean...DUH! Who else would Oscar have fought for a big money fight? Winky Wright? Vernon Forrest? Hell, I've made the assumption that Oscar will STILL fight Ricky Hatton when he comes out of retirement...but I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that Hatton was going to sign with GBP because Oscar was going to fight him, like you implied. I mean, if that's the case, why would he even explore other options, as Rafael's article so astutely pointed out?

As for me....it's not even really about being able to understand / appreciate / accept / recognize / like / loathe / care about / care less about / enjoy / find a middle ground with the way others may view this. You can view it however you want to view it and keep it moving...that's cool with me. What I did apparently have an issue with, however, was you, and a few others, actually NOT understanding my viewpoint and constantly telling me that it IS wrong, when in actuality, it's not. If someone is going to keep discussing it, trying to challenge me about whether or not I'm right or wrong, or telling me that the right answer is Carlos Baldomir, then I'm gonna dispute it because clearly my viewpoint is not understood. I mean, if you understand my viewpoint, then quit addressing it and keep it moving.

If any fighter has a one fight "prove it" deal, of course they can still see what is out there after that fight and at the same time he can get nothing more than that one fight from the promoter if it flops...I think it was clear the way I described the viewpoint, but I also do think it was a foregone conclusion he was going to end up with GBP, or as Rafael put it "decided to stick with GBP." And this is well beyond this topic now, it is general view...which as Method said, should make for another thread.

And for the record, I think I said on multiple occasions that you weren't wrong...in fact, I think I said we just viewed it differently.

So if that is the sticking point...the thought you are being told you're wrong, well, I think I addressed that by stating quite the contrary...it was just a different approach to viewing something.

QUOTE (Spyder @ Aug 11 2010, 12:55 PM) *

If I were to pick one for Hype, I would circle "loathe"...though I think deep down he "accepts" what people are saying.

BTW, I expect to see Floyd come out of his second retirement and sign to fight Pac before Hype would ever admit that.

LOL...I would say dislike, thought that is not an option...so I guess "loathe"... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

But no...seriously...who ends up promoting Floyd's next fight...will it be GBP...or will it be DKP?

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 11 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #134

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (Method @ Aug 11 2010, 01:44 PM) *
I mean, I know the Clottey fight turned out to be garbage, but, when the fight was announced, in lieu of other negotiations not panning out, I was intrigued and somewhat "excited" (term used loosely, interested more like it). I guess what I'm saying is if the match ups look good enough on paper, as Paq/Clottey did, Paq/Marg does, I cant hate on it in retrospect if they don't turn out that way.

As an aside, I would expect to see Floyd fight again before B-Hop.

I hope you're wrong about Hopkins. I'd really love to see him fight the winner of Dawson vs. Pascal. I mean, I know it may not be the easy money fight he's looking for, but in my opinion, fights like that are far more important to the sport of boxing than Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. Or shit, if Haye is going to continue being a pussy, then HBO should go ahead and force that Haye vs. Hopkins bout.

As for Pac/Clottey and Pac/Margarito...I honestly don't think very many people really do or did hate those fights. I mean, they can say they do or did, but honestly, do or did they hate them like they hated De La Hoya vs. Forbes or Pacquiao vs. Diaz? I don't think so. I think there is/was still enough intrigue in those fights to make people say, "Hmmm, I don't know. I think he might lose. I might have to check it out. I ain't paying for it, but I do want to check it out." So yeah, as far as the matchups on paper are concerned, I totally agree. Now, personally, I don't think either one of them DESERVED the fights (especially Margarito), and for that I take issue, but as far as the fights are concerned, shit, I did and will watch them. LOL.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 11 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #135

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (JD @ Aug 11 2010, 01:55 PM) *
If any fighter has a one fight "prove it" deal, of course they can still see what is out there after that fight and at the same time he can get nothing more than that one fight from the promoter if it flops...I think it was clear the way I described the viewpoint, but I also do think it was a foregone conclusion he was going to end up with GBP, or as Rafael put it "decided to stick with GBP."

And for the record, I think I said on multiple occasions that you weren't wrong...in fact, I think I said we just viewed it differently.

So if that is the sticking point...the thought that someone might think you are wrong, well, I think I addressed that by stating quite the contrary...it was just a different approach to something.

It's not a sticking point...nor did I say it was just you saying I was wrong. But if people are going to keep nitpicking and taking shots, expect me to fire back. Case in point, here you are still going on about this "prove it deal" that, according to you, meant that Ricky Hatton was "essentially" a Golden Boy fighter. On the contrary, the fact that he had to "prove" anything would lead me to believe that he was not yet a Golden Boy fighter, no?

But it's cool...we can continue to discuss.

QUOTE (JD @ Aug 11 2010, 01:55 PM) *
LOL...I would say dislike, thought that is not an option...so I guess "loathe".

But no...seriously...who ends up promoting Floyd's next fight...will it be GBP...or will it be DKP?

I wouldn't say "dislike" at all...if I disliked it, or even loathed it, I would have silenced it a long time ago.

If I had to pick, I'd say it's Golden Boy that promotes his next fight. I don't think he has a problem with Golden Boy because Golden Boy wasn't doing anything.

+Quote Post
JD
post Aug 11 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #136

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

I don't think you loathe it...lol...I would say that Spyder, like me, is playing around.

And more to the point, I would say that interpretation is probably where our viewpoints diverge...to me...someone who is on a one fight / year / week / month / prove it deal and does prove it before signing a longer term deal is basically a part of XYZ promotions / team / organization / etc from the prove it deal. In your view, they are not part of XYZ promotions / team / organization / etc until they sign the long term deal.

As for the more important topic that somehow got buried under pages of...stuff...man, how the hell is DK going to get used like that twice? I mean...really? That is embarrassing.

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 11 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #137

Member No.: 1,253

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 11 2010, 02:04 PM) *
I hope you're wrong about Hopkins. I'd really love to see him fight the winner of Dawson vs. Pascal. I mean, I know it may not be the easy money fight he's looking for, but in my opinion, fights like that are far more important to the sport of boxing than Mayweather vs. Pacquiao. Or shit, if Haye is going to continue being a pussy, then HBO should go ahead and force that Haye vs. Hopkins bout.

As for Pac/Clottey and Pac/Margarito...I honestly don't think very many people really do or did hate those fights. I mean, they can say they do or did, but honestly, do or did they hate them like they hated De La Hoya vs. Forbes or Pacquiao vs. Diaz? I don't think so. I think there is/was still enough intrigue in those fights to make people say, "Hmmm, I don't know. I think he might lose. I might have to check it out. I ain't paying for it, but I do want to check it out." So yeah, as far as the matchups on paper are concerned, I totally agree. Now, personally, I don't think either one of them DESERVED the fights (especially Margarito), and for that I take issue, but as far as the fights are concerned, shit, I did and will watch them. LOL.

I hope I'm wrong about Hopkins too, man, but he's been laying awfully low lately, the duration of which I don't remember. Id LOVE to see him fight Haye, but I don't think it will ever happen. As Roy Jones showed in beating Ruiz (not arguing the outcome would be the same) Haye (like Ruiz) has NOTHING to gain in that fight and everything to lose. I'd like to see Hopkins/Dawson, but I'd like to see them get paid for it.

I agree, I don't think either deserved these shots at big fights, but fuck man, if its one thing I learned long ago in this god forsaken sport - DESERVE'S GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Unfortunate, but true.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Aug 11 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #138

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

I would compare it to a Player that wants to date a nice girl...the nice girl might be intrigued enough to start dating the man, but not ready to fall in love until he "proves" that he's serious.

BTW, yes I was playing around.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 11 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #139

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (JD @ Aug 11 2010, 02:16 PM) *
I don't think you loathe it...lol...I would say that Spyder, like me, is playing around.

And more to the point, I would say that interpretation is probably where our viewpoints diverge...to me...someone who is on a one fight / year / week / month / prove it deal and does prove it before signing a longer term deal is basically a part of XYZ promotions / team / organization / etc from the prove it deal. In your view, they are not part of XYZ promotions / team / organization / etc until they sign the long term deal.

As for the more important topic that somehow got buried under pages of...stuff...man, how the hell is DK going to get used like that twice? I mean...really? That is embarrassing.

Fair enough...although it should be pointed out that EVEN WITH a contrat that actually said he was a GBP fighter, Manny Pacquiao ended up signing with Top Rank instead.

That's kind of the reason why I think you should wait until the ink is completely dry before drawing conclusions.

As for King, I mean, I don't know...was Floyd using King or was King using Floyd? Maybe it's both. I think Floyd's appearance in St. Louis was no different than Evander Holyfield's appearance there. Surely people don't think that Holyfield just happened to be in the area...or that he was a HUGE fan of Devon and just had to see that fight. LOL. Holyfield was LIKELY there because King flew him in and very well could have paid him an appearance fee. I would not be shocked if that was the exact same case with Floyd. There's a reason why DKP sent out a press release to let everyone know that Holyfield, Mayweather and Tyson were going to be in attendance (even though Tyson didn't show). That kind of shit right there helps sell tickets. I'm just saying.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure King would LOVE to sink his teeth into Floyd, but I really think it's being blown waaaaay out of proportion. But hey...what do I know...I let the experts like Rafael explain to the fans what's really going on. Obviously his name carries a lot more weight than little ol' me.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 11 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #140

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (Spyder @ Aug 11 2010, 02:21 PM) *
I would compare it to a Player that wants to date a nice girl...the nice girl might be intrigued enough to start dating the man, but not ready to fall in love until he "proves" that he's serious.

BTW, yes I was playing around.

Then I guess Pacquiao fell in love with Golden Boy until Top Rank happened to walk by and catch his eye.

BTW, I didn't think you were serious to begin with. I don't know why someone would seem to think I'm serious about it. I just talk a lot...which translates into writing a lot...so I think some people seem to believe that I really care a lot more than I do. For me, this is just shooting the shit. Ironically, this is my break away from doing FightHype shit...so for me, this is fun.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2014 - 08:10 AM