IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Potential bantamweight Showtime double header, Perez-Agbeko II/Darchinyan-Mares
Guest_Fitz_*
post Aug 22 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #1

Guests

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/bantamweig...oom-nov-6-57300

Looks like SHOWTIME has a terrific bantamweight doubleheader in the works for November 6. IBF bantamweight champion Yohnny Perez (20-0-1, 14 KOs) will take on Joseph Agbeko (27-2, 22 KOs) in a rematch, and IBO bantamweight king Vic Darchinyan (35-2-1, 27 KOs) faces unbeaten IBF #6/WBO #10 rated Abner Mares (20-0-1, 13 KOs). Darchinyan is also currently the WBC and WBA super flyweight champ. No site yet, but the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles is in play.

This is what boxing is about and is why I love the lower weight classes. These are fighters and the smaller guys continue to fight one another, the guys at 147 are divas.
I am loving this if it happens.

This post has been edited by Fitz: Aug 22 2010, 08:47 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Aug 22 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,333

I would have prefered the tournament they had conceived, but this will do.

The first Perez-Agbeko fight was a fast paced, entertaining fight, and I expect the rematch to be fought in the same fashion.

Mares-Darchinyan is going to be interesting. Mares showed true grit against Perez but came up short in the middle rounds and had to settle for a draw, but he showed what he's all about. His lack of power puts him at a disadvantage here, but Agbeko isn't that big a puncher and he beat Darchynian using good head movement and accurate lead right hands, so Mares does have a shot here.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Aug 22 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #3

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Perez will win in a close fight and I got Mares over Darchinyan by decision.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Aug 23 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,307

Mares Darchinyan will be great.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Aug 23 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #5

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

Totally agree about the guys at 147 being divas and would like to add that 140 may also be headed down that road. They should take a good hard look at these little guys to see how real fighters go about their business

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 23 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #6

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

I love it.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Aug 23 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #7

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

I say Mares owns Darchinyan. I'd love to see that.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Aug 23 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE (Snoop @ Aug 23 2010, 01:00 PM) *
I say Mares owns Darchinyan. I'd love to see that.

You know, I tend to agree with you about 75%. Mares is definitely the better boxer and Darchinyan can be outboxed. But I'm not totally convinced that Mares has the guts on the off chance that Darchinyan lands something big.

Also, I wrote Goldenboy promotions trying to get one of Mares' t-shirts that he wore into the ring against Yonny Perez (cool fucking shirt) and the son of a bitch (whoever the hell that sob was at Goldenboy) never even bothered to email me back to tell me whether or not they actually had any shirts to sell. Fuck him. That's so unprofessional it hurts. Obviously Goldenboy doens't believe in him, so why should I.

I'll take Darchinyan by ko.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 23 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #9

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Mares won't "own" Vic. Certainly may beat him but Mares will be running for his life at some point in the fight.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Aug 23 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

QUOTE (Fitz @ Aug 23 2010, 01:11 AM) *
I'm not too fussed about a tourney at bantam weight not happening. The only reason why I would want a tourney is so these guys get some coverage and noticed. Other than that, tournaments are perfect for divisions like 147 where it involves divas not fighting one another.
This is the perfect reason why a tournament isn't needed as seriously in these weight classes, because this just shows that eventually they will fight one another and they have been fighting one another in the lower weight classes. It all works itself out down here, and we find out who the best is because the best continues to fight the best, so a tournament not happening is a water off a ducks back for me. Sure it would be nice, but it wasn't entirely needed, other than just getting some coverage for these guys and helping them get noticed. Which is the only reason it would have to happen. Trying to force these guys to fight one another in a tournament is unnecessary because these guys are real fighters and will fight one another with or without a tournament.

That's true. I had not thought of it that way. Even though Arum 's exclusion of Montiel and Donaire in the tournament was the reason why Showtime dropped the idea, it is still possible that he will make the fight between those two, so you are right in saying that they will end up fighting each other.

I just hope they don't leave Hasegawa out of the mix later on.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2014 - 06:52 AM