IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should there be limits on weight gain?
BoxingStill#1
post Sep 14 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,594

If boxing were to start same day weigh ins today.... We would see NONE of same fighters in their respected divisions tomorrow......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 14 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #12

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (flazi @ Sep 14 2010, 09:07 PM) *
my sport is powerlifting. I can total 1500+ pounds on the three lifts, 600 deadlift, 410 bench, 450+ squat (weak i know) but the guys who are heavier are in the 700's deadlifting and 600's squating. there is nothing more debilitating than watching someone warm up with the weight you max at. Same day weigh ins sounds great. I know in my sport it would be great cause the way it is now i can weigh in at 9 am friday and not compete until saturday or sunday evening.

Far from weak man.

My good friend has been into powerlifting for around 20 years now on and off. He said he is doing one more competition and he is done, too much stress on his body as he gets older. Anyway, he weighs around 190lbs. His lifts are approx. 650 DL, 550 squat, and his bench(weakest) around 400. I went to a few of his competitions over the years, crazy how fucking strong people can get lifting weights. Some of those little guys can put up crazy weights, I just don't get it.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 14 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #13

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Sep 14 2010, 09:18 PM) *
If boxing were to start same day weigh ins today.... We would see NONE of same fighters in their respected divisions tomorrow......

And that's okay. Then we get a leveled playing field, and people fighting at a safer healthier weight.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Sep 14 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #14

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (flazi @ Sep 14 2010, 08:07 PM) *
my sport is powerlifting. I can total 1500+ pounds on the three lifts, 600 deadlift, 410 bench, 450+ squat (weak i know) but the guys who are heavier are in the 700's deadlifting and 600's squating. there is nothing more debilitating than watching someone warm up with the weight you max at. Same day weigh ins sounds great. I know in my sport it would be great cause the way it is now i can weigh in at 9 am friday and not compete until saturday or sunday evening.

Oh..I thought you boxed..Well in something like power lifting,weight would be a bigger factor..10 lbs would be a huge differece which is true also in boxing but I think not as big of a difference than in power lifting..In boxing there are more factors involved when it really comes down to it..410 bench is beastly..When I weighed 210 lbs,the most I got to was alittle over 300 lbs benching and I'd curl 60 lbs 15 times with each arm..I stopped lifting like 1.5 years ago though to getting my muscle in boxing condition..It definitely takes a lot of time to get up to putting up those numbers that you do but then it starts to become muscle memory..Have you had any serious injuries??

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Sep 15 2010, 12:46 AM
Post #15

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

Same day weigh-ins make too much sense. Like DIV I NCAA football playoffs.

Less weight classes, I might add.

+Quote Post
SENTRAL
post Sep 15 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #16

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 10,900

Same day weigh ins were abolished to stop a fighter dehydrating and being unable to rehydrate in time for the fight.  This was always one of the biggest dangers when concerning brain injuries.  However, we all know that is wrong for a boxer to box at 140 but weigh in at 160 come fight time.  Is it equally as dangerous though?

You have to ask the question - if boxer A weighs 140 but enters the ring at 160 in a junior welterweight bout and boxer B weighs 140 and enters the ring at 142, should not boxer B perhaps consider fighting at 135?  You see what I'm saying?

I personally believe the dehydration issue outweighs the (sometimes) gross discrepancy between the division weight and the actual fighting weight.

The only solution would be to monitor the boxers much more during training to ensure they weren't boiling down at the last minute and then having 24 hours to rehydrate as they do currently. So, they are weighed 7 days before the fight, 3 days before the fight and then on the day of the fight.  This would enable the commissions to safely gauge if a fighter was weighing comfortably enough to get to the limit without last minute dehydration becoming necessary and it should, in most cases, prevent the huge weight difference sometimes seen on fight night. 

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Sep 15 2010, 04:58 AM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Sep 15 2010, 06:57 PM) *
Same day weigh ins were abolished to stop a fighter dehydrating and being unable to rehydrate in time for the fight.  This was always one of the biggest dangers when concerning brain injuries.  However, we all know that is wrong for a boxer to box at 140 but weigh in at 160 come fight time.  Is it equally as dangerous though?

You have to ask the question - if boxer A weighs 140 but enters the ring at 160 in a junior welterweight bout and boxer B weighs 140 and enters the ring at 142, should not boxer B perhaps consider fighting at 135?  You see what I'm saying?

I personally believe the dehydration issue outweighs the (sometimes) gross discrepancy between the division weight and the actual fighting weight.

The only solution would be to monitor the boxers much more during training to ensure they weren't boiling down at the last minute and then having 24 hours to rehydrate as they do currently. So, they are weighed 7 days before the fight, 3 days before the fight and then on the day of the fight.  This would enable the commissions to safely gauge if a fighter was weighing comfortably enough to get to the limit without last minute dehydration becoming necessary and it should, in most cases, prevent the huge weight difference sometimes seen on fight night. 

I don't agree dehydrating on fight night would be much of an issue if we just had the old divisions and none of these junior and super weight classes. The range to make weight would be higher, so it would be easier to make weight, more guys would probably fight at a more natural weight because they obviously would have a much larger range to make weight, and I seriously don't think fighters would be that dumb to 'severely' drain themselves to make weight on a same day weigh in, with such a large range to make weight.

+Quote Post
SENTRAL
post Sep 15 2010, 05:08 AM
Post #18

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 10,900

Well the old weight classes changes the focus of everthing and there are many reasons for and against reverting to that. My post was based around how things are currently. If, as I expect, the weight divisions arent changed, how and what would you propose as a viable solution.

Now I must get ready for work.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 15 2010, 06:01 AM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Sep 15 2010, 06:08 AM) *
Well the old weight classes changes the focus of everthing and there are many reasons for and against reverting to that. My post was based around how things are currently. If, as I expect, the weight divisions arent changed, how and what would you propose as a viable solution.

Now I must get ready for work.

Yes they will never go back to the old weight divisions, there's too much money in splitting it all up and then on top of that having their 'regular' champions and their 'cubic zirconia' champions or whatever they call them.

Now as to regards the same day weigh-ins, having read the thread I can see merits in both sides but I'd lean more to the weighing in the same day or at least having some kind of limit. Not sure if I want this more as a fan or for the safety of the fighters. It can't be good dehydrating that much just to make weight and then putting it all back on after the weigh in. Morales one of Fitz's favourites always looked like death warmed up at the weigh-in. always fought with plenty of life in him though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 15 2010, 09:08 AM
Post #20

Light Heavyweight

I have a simple solution to all this. EVERY fighter should have their bodyfat tested and there should be a standard of how low they can go. It could be a set standard determined by experts in the medical field at what percent bodyfat is the lowest a fighter can reach to perform safely. We will call it Optimal Fghting Weight Comission.

Example 1- James Toney goes to the OFWC and he weighs 256 pounds. They take his bodyfat and what ever else these experts have today to determine is safest and most optimal weight. So after evaluating him, say they come back and say okay your bodyfat is at "X"% right now. Your lowest weight you can get to is 187 where your percent would be at "X"%. So then Toney would only be allowed to compete in the cruiserweight or heavyweight divisions. No ifs ands or buts.

Example 2- Paul Williams goes to the OFWC and weighs 167 pounds and his bodyfat percent is at "X"%. So at the lowest percent you can go, your weight would be 151 pounds. So the lowest he could fight at would be jr. middleweight or above.

I understand people could STILL get dehydrated, if they did not lose the weight properly. But at least there would be no more fighters starving themselves to get down that one extra division for the weigh in, just so they can balloon up 15 plus pounds come fight night.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2014 - 03:55 PM