Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lesnar vs Velasquez
kidbazooka1
post Oct 21 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,319

Im with you guys on this one I wanna see Brock get his ass whooped big time but not sure if Cain is the man to do it. If Cain does pull it off i'll be one happy ass muthaf*cker..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Oct 21 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #12

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Oct 21 2010, 04:29 AM) *
Kurt Angle supposedly dominated lesnar in an unofficial wrestling match, with several high profile wrestlers watching. Was reading that in an interview with Kurt himself, in a fitness magazine. Kurt is significantly smaller than lesnar, so i dont believe size and brute strength can overcome skill in every wrestling match. Velasquez is a very good wrestler, and bigger and stronger than Couture who also didnt do too badly vs Brock when it came to grappling. Carwin was able to stuff Brocks take downs as well, while he still had some energy early in the first round, despite being a lower level than either Velasquez or Couture.

I honestly believe Velasquez will be able to dictate where this fight takes place, and that he will keep it on the feet. And if he can keep it on the feet, lesnars rudimentary strikng will be his downfall

You obviously have never actually wrestled then. I don't believe a word that comes out of Kurt Angles mouth. Lesnar is a more accomplished wrestler than valesquez and it will show in this fight. I am not all that impressed by anything Cain has done and would have liked to see him test himself against someone like Mir before getting a title shot. Brock will control this fight on the ground and pound out Cain. To beat someone like Brock you need to be atleast 6'2 and 235 with power and speed to catch him on his feet. Dos Santos has a shot but I wouldn't bet on it. Lesnar is a hard puzzle to crack, Overeem doesn't have the takedown defense to stop him and I think fedor is past his best days and again too small. I think lesnar holds this belt for a couple years but you never know who could come along

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Oct 21 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #13

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

Thats fine if you dont believe whatever Angle said in the article. I dont have it front of me to quote from, as i was being a cheap ass and reading a mag in the newsagents on my lunch break several months ago. And i can't say for certain that it was true, as i wasnt there. But what i can comment on is what i have seen from Brock in the ring. Brocks wrestling has only been all powerful against guys not known for their wrestling (Mir, Herring). When he has faced decent wrestlers (couture and carwin), the sheen has come off his one true skill a little bit. He's not an unstoppable force. Carwin stuffed his shot forcing him to exchange strikes (which went pretty badly for lesnar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/black eye.gif) ), and couture managed to wrestle him up against the fence with some success. If size was the only faactor in wrestling, it wouldnt have mattered how skilled randy's greco game was, he would have been thrown around like a rag doll... which didnt happen

Of course being a huge motherfucker is an advantage in wrestling, but i still dont believe it will win you every single match. Velasquez doesnt need to worry about brocks shit-house striking

Looking forward to the fight either way.

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Oct 22 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #14

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Oct 21 2010, 04:45 PM) *
Thats fine if you dont believe whatever Angle said in the article. I dont have it front of me to quote from, as i was being a cheap ass and reading a mag in the newsagents on my lunch break several months ago. And i can't say for certain that it was true, as i wasnt there. But what i can comment on is what i have seen from Brock in the ring. Brocks wrestling has only been all powerful against guys not known for their wrestling (Mir, Herring). When he has faced decent wrestlers (couture and carwin), the sheen has come off his one true skill a little bit. He's not an unstoppable force. Carwin stuffed his shot forcing him to exchange strikes (which went pretty badly for lesnar (IMG:style_emoticons/default/black eye.gif) ), and couture managed to wrestle him up against the fence with some success. If size was the only faactor in wrestling, it wouldnt have mattered how skilled randy's greco game was, he would have been thrown around like a rag doll... which didnt happen

Of course being a huge motherfucker is an advantage in wrestling, but i still dont believe it will win you every single match. Velasquez doesnt need to worry about brocks shit-house striking

Looking forward to the fight either way.

Shane Carwin was a DII national champion and a pretty huge guy, the difference in the Carwin fight was that when brock got Shane down he went nowhere and was completely controlled, same with all of Brocks opponents to date with the exception of the 1st Mir fight. What did Couture actually do in that fight? Held him against the cage and landed nothing? Randy Couture is an olympic level wrestler, his credentials far surpass that of Brocks. Lesnar stopped competitively wrestling when he 23 years old where as Randy continued to wrestle far past college and started in MMA in the 90's. To me its like wow Randy, an olympic level wrestler, couldnt takedown brock. Brock had also only had 4 fights at that time and where did Randy go when Brock got on top of him? Chuck Liddel was a nobody in college wrestling and managed to keep couture on his feet as well so does that mean that his wrestling is equivalent to that of Couture's? There is also a huge difference in collegiate wrestling and Greco Roman wrestling as well as there is no cage on a wrestling mat. I'm not saying Cain has no chance its just that i see Brock starting to come into his own and i think he will be too much for Velasquez. Should be a good fight and im looking forward to it

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Oct 22 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #15

Welterweight

Member No.: 195

kurt Angle is a whole differant lvl wrestler than Lesner, carwin, couture, or cain. Not saying angle would be a dominant mma fighter, but his wrestling would dominate brock lesner even with the size difference. And yes I have wrestled, in high school and college. Wrestling is alot more about leverage, technique, and intelligence than it is size and strength.

That being said, Randy Couture has never been known for his striking, but against lesner his gameplan wasnt to attempt to out wrestle lesner. In fact he came into the fight light because he wanted a speed advantage over lesner. He did stuff most of lesners takedowns and kept the fight on its feet for a while but he got caught. The whole gameplan for him winning was to tire lesner out then take him down. You have to keep that in mind, couture wasnt trying to outwrestle lesner at the time he got caught, he was just trying to tire out the bigger man.

Now as for cain, if he can sprawl with enough speed to stop the takedown, lesners goose is cooked. but Lesner has spped, agility, technique and insane strength. So it will be an interesting matchup.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Oct 22 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #16

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Oct 22 2010, 05:15 PM) *
kurt Angle is a whole differant lvl wrestler than Lesner, carwin, couture, or cain. Not saying angle would be a dominant mma fighter, but his wrestling would dominate brock lesner even with the size difference. And yes I have wrestled, in high school and college. Wrestling is alot more about leverage, technique, and intelligence than it is size and strength.

That being said, Randy Couture has never been known for his striking, but against lesner his gameplan wasnt to attempt to out wrestle lesner. In fact he came into the fight light because he wanted a speed advantage over lesner. He did stuff most of lesners takedowns and kept the fight on its feet for a while but he got caught. The whole gameplan for him winning was to tire lesner out then take him down. You have to keep that in mind, couture wasnt trying to outwrestle lesner at the time he got caught, he was just trying to tire out the bigger man.

Now as for cain, if he can sprawl with enough speed to stop the takedown, lesners goose is cooked. but Lesner has spped, agility, technique and insane strength. So it will be an interesting matchup.

You need to post around here more often, Run and Gun.

+Quote Post
PR316
post Oct 22 2010, 11:57 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

Would like Cain to win to stop the Lesnar freak show. Lol...

I've seen a couple of fights and he has skills, speed, and conditioning.

Lesnar gets by on his size and strength. But he's not a more talented fighter than Velasquez

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Oct 23 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #18

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Oct 22 2010, 11:15 PM) *

I'm not saying that Couture outwrestled Lesnar. Clearly his game was to stand and strike, but it was his wrestling that allowed that to happen, even if it ended up backfiring it was still the right gameplan. Hence a smaller, more skilled man can "outwrestle" lesnar in order to control where the fight takes place. It is entirely plausible than a wrestler of Angle pedigree could beat lesnar in a pure wrestling match. He's a beast and a very solid wrestler, but ffs, that doesnt automatically means he wins

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Oct 23 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #19

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

Lesnar is the type of guy who learns from his mistakes...he knows what his advantages are and will strictly stick with them from now on....I see him focusing on takin' Velasquez down and maulin' the shit outta him...could be a very vicious and graphic beating.

Could be an upset with Kampmann tonight though...he's good enough to beat Shields if he's on form...

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Oct 23 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #20

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

Any streams to the fight?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 09:36 AM