IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who's #1 P4P Now? Manny or Floyd?, And Why?
Jack 1000
post Nov 16 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

It's hard to do an all-time assessment of a fighter until his career ends. I mean people talked about Liston being invincible, and along came Ali. People talked about Frazier being unstoppable, and along came Foreman.

Opponents who do shocking things can put dents in the All Time Hall of Fame Armor.

But for HIS time in terms of P4P best. I think Manny Pacquiao IS #1. Despite multiple belts and confusion with them, there will probably NEVER be another fighter who can win as Many belts in such wide weight classes as Pacquiao, ever!

Manny is thrilling to watch, he beats the living shit out of practically everyone, and wants to fight.

Floyd Mayweather is #2 P4P because of his great boxing skills and is probably a better boxer than Pacquiao, but has hurt his career by not taking risks in the ring when he could have. Floyd never fought Margacheato or Cotto in their prime and he should have. Floyd must fight Manny for true greatness, or at least fight Paul Williams or Sergio Martinez.

I still think Floyd is a "Most Money" for the "least risk" type of guy. He'll beat Manny around 8 rounds to 4 if they fight, because he'll avoid a war and pivot and roll with his shoulder defense and speed. Floyd will probably study the Juan Marquez fights to prepare for Manny.

And I think that Pacquiao won the first Marquez fight and Marquez the second. A rubber match would be interesting to break the dead-lock, but I don't think a lot of people would care. Pacquiao-J. Marquez fights are like Ali-Norton fights. They are always gonna be close all the time because of the complimentary styles, and will probably get draw, split decision, majority decision, or no more than a 115-113 card for either guy at any time. Because Pacquiao and Marquez will always produce those kinds of fights.

Floyd's the better skilled boxer at #2 P4P today, as much as I hate the little POS. But Manny has done more with his career, doesn't duck guys, and is more exciting to watch than Floyd. That makes him #1.

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Nov 16 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #2

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 195

completely agree

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Nov 16 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 16 2010, 01:26 PM) *
It's hard to do an all-time assessment of a fighter until his career ends. I mean people talked about Liston being invincible, and along came Ali. People talked about Frazier being unstoppable, and along came Foreman.

Opponents who do shocking things can put dents in the All Time Hall of Fame Armor.

But for HIS time in terms of P4P best. I think Manny Pacquiao IS #1. Despite multiple belts and confusion with them, there will probably NEVER be another fighter who can win as Many belts in such wide weight classes as Pacquiao, ever!

Manny is thrilling to watch, he beats the living shit out of practically everyone, and wants to fight.

Floyd Mayweather is #2 P4P because of his great boxing skills and is probably a better boxer than Pacquiao, but has hurt his career by not taking risks in the ring when he could have. Floyd never fought Margacheato or Cotto in their prime and he should have. Floyd must fight Manny for true greatness, or at least fight Paul Williams or Sergio Martinez.

I still think Floyd is a "Most Money" for the "least risk" type of guy. He'll beat Manny around 8 rounds to 4 if they fight, because he'll avoid a war and pivot and roll with his shoulder defense and speed. Floyd will probably study the Juan Marquez fights to prepare for Manny.

And I think that Pacquiao won the first Marquez fight and Marquez the second. A rubber match would be interesting to break the dead-lock, but I don't think a lot of people would care. Pacquiao-J. Marquez fights are like Ali-Norton fights. They are always gonna be close all the time because of the complimentary styles, and will probably get draw, split decision, majority decision, or no more than a 115-113 card for either guy at any time. Because Pacquiao and Marquez will always produce those kinds of fights.

Floyd's the better skilled boxer at #2 P4P today, as much as I hate the little POS. But Manny has done more with his career, doesn't duck guys, and is more exciting to watch than Floyd. That makes him #1.

Jack

I think this is a unbiased and logical assesment. Manny deserves the top spot because of his activity level and going against percieved odds where with Mayweather you know he's going to win before he gets in the ring. If the 2 meet however I feel May gives Pac fits and we'll see Manny get frustrated and bang his gloves together begging May to engage him. All the while May picks his shots and breaks Manny down where he's weak at (The body) as evident by his ko loss and almost folding on Saturday. It will be the Judah fight all over again with Floyd being slightly more careful.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Nov 16 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #4

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Nov 16 2010, 02:26 PM) *

Marquez vs. Pacquiao is always gonna be close? Even at 147, where Marquez got dominated by Floyd?

:dtnknw:

IMO, if Floyd and Manny were to fight today, I'd pick Floyd to beat him, therefore, I rate Floyd as my #1 P4P.

While resumes and accomplishments help you gauge just how good a fighter is, when it comes to who's the best and who would whip whom at whatever weight, it always comes down to skills and talent, and from what I've seen just this past year, Floyd's skills will still be too difficult for Pacquiao to figure out should they ever meet.

If you think Floyd beats Manny, I don't know how you can rate Manny as the best fighter on the planet.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

Now, if you think Manny beats Floyd, then I totally understand.

Just my lowly opinion though.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
KookedKrack
post Nov 16 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #5

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 5,468

Floyd beat Shane who molested Margarito he is still #1. Until Pac fights and beats someone who actually looked good in their last fight he will be #2 imo.

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Nov 16 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #6

Welterweight

hype I have already picked why I pick Pacquio over floyd. Im telling you floyd is more flat footed now and Pacquios activity level would wear floyd down.

Chavez didnt look to have much chance against Taylor either. Im telling you, floyd pacquio wouldnt be close after the first 2 rounds. Floyd would turtle up and solely worry about slipping without getting caught. Just my humble opinion

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Nov 16 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Nov 16 2010, 03:02 PM) *
hype I have already picked why I pick Pacquio over floyd. Im telling you floyd is more flat footed now and Pacquios activity level would wear floyd down.

Chavez didnt look to have much chance against Taylor either. Im telling you, floyd pacquio wouldnt be close after the first 2 rounds. Floyd would turtle up and solely worry about slipping without getting caught. Just my humble opinion

Floyd was flat footed against Shane cause he wanted to go toe to toe. Against Marquez he moved. Against Hatton he stood his ground. Floyd does what he wants when he wants. Against Manny he can just stay in the pocket pick, roll, and counter Manny all night long.

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Nov 16 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Welterweight

QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Nov 16 2010, 08:17 PM) *
Floyd was flat footed against Shane cause he wanted to go toe to toe. Against Marquez he moved. Against Hatton he stood his ground. Floyd does what he wants when he wants. Against Manny he can just stay in the pocket pick, roll, and counter Manny all night long.

Thats where you are wrong, he cannot stay in the pocket v/s manny. Manny hasnt ever fought a fighter like floyd, thats true, but floyd has never fought anyone like manny either

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Nov 16 2010, 04:42 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Run and Gun Game Calls @ Nov 16 2010, 03:25 PM) *
Thats where you are wrong, he cannot stay in the pocket v/s manny. Manny hasnt ever fought a fighter like floyd, thats true, but floyd has never fought anyone like manny either

Are you kidding? Manny will get broken on the inside and outside by Floyd. Punches just gonna be rolling of the shoulders. I think there will be some tense moments where Floyd will have to adjust but this won't be as hard as people think it will be. Styles make fights and this fight is all wrong for Pac.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Nov 16 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #10

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Nov 16 2010, 04:42 PM) *
Are you kidding? Manny will get broken on the inside and outside by Floyd. Punches just gonna be rolling of the shoulders. I think there will be some tense moments where Floyd will have to adjust but this won't be as hard as people think it will be. Styles make fights and this fight is all wrong for Pac.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

And honestly, in my opinion, Freddie's recent selection of opponents are getting Manny further and further away from being able to deal with that type of style. I mean, that's not taking anything away from Manny at all, but when you fight a string of guys who are all coming forward and standing right in front of you, you get kind of used to that, so what's going to happen when he fights a guy who's not doing that? The last person I remember him fighting who did not fit that M.O. was Marquez...and ironically, those fights were extremely close. The only guy of late who's come close to that is MAYBE Miguel Cotto, but even Miguel started off dumb and chose to stand and trade with Manny, which was his undoing. The funny thing is that when Miguel actually DID decide to switch it up and not just bang with him, Manny didn't have quite as much success as he did in the first few rounds. So I'm EXTREMELY curious to see how he'll be able to handle that type of style...and hell, it doesn't even have to be against Mayweather...Tim Bradley, Devon Alexander, or even Zab Judah would suffice.

That's not to say that Mayweather has ever faced someone like Manny, BUT, as far as styles are concerned, in my opinion, Floyd has faced a MUCH WIDER variety and has been able to adjust to every single one. I've seen what he's been able to do with plodders, I've seen what he's been able to do with movers, and I've seen what he's been able to do with combination punchers...and thus far, he's always been successful.

On a side note, whoever it was that said that Pacquiao vs. Mayweather wouldn't be close after 2 rounds....pssssssh....that's just ridiculous. I mean, you may HOPE that's the case, but I truly think any REAL KNOWLEDGEABLE boxing fan can recognize that Floyd Mayweather and his style is going to be Manny Pacquiao's most difficult test. I mean, if he's not, then what the fuck do we even want to see the fight for to begin with?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2014 - 03:26 AM