IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto -VS- Mayorga, Set for March 12th (tentatively)
Imperius3
post Jan 19 2011, 04:14 AM
Post #1

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 931

Not 100% done yet, but it looks close to done.

It should be a good fight, but I think Cotto will stop Mayorga with some vicious body shots. Mayorga might not have much left, but with his power he can make things interesting if he catches Cotto clean.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Jan 19 2011, 04:29 AM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 7,287

It's been awhile but I am looking forward to a good dose of Mayorga trash talking. Actually I think he might be a little more respectful to Cotto than he has been to some past opponents.

I'm not sure I like this fight for Cotto. He can be dragged into brawls and Mayorga throws with power and from some strange angles. I'm not entirely convinced Cotto isn't terminally damaged from the Margarito/Pac fights and I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricardo pull an upset.

It will be a good litmus test to see how much Cotto has left in the tank.

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Jan 19 2011, 06:15 AM
Post #3

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

Mayorga is going to get a beat down. He's tailor made to make cotto look good.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Jan 19 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #4

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

This is a likeable fight right here...I'll be rootin' for the bad guy, but Aussie short 'n' sweeted it.....Mayorga will probably take another measured beating.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Jan 19 2011, 11:15 AM
Post #5

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

Certainly Cotto should win. I agree with everyone that this fight is a good gauge for where Cotto is at.

Mayorga with the exception of the Forrest fights, which were a long time ago, doesn't beat top guys. The good news is that he doesn't lay down for them either. He's not the type of guy that gets blown out in a round or two. Against Trinidad, Mosley and DLH he stood in there and took a lot of firepower before getting stopped.

Mayorga has fought 2 fights above 160 and has a couple of inches on Cotto and like that picture suggests he's the naturally bigger guy. I actually think Cotto's boxer/puncher style Steward is working on is great generally speaking for Cotto, but possibly not great for this fight... I feel like that style is more training Cotto to plan on going the distance, and "if the KO comes it comes" type thing. I don't really see Cotto coming away with a decision against Mayorga like Spinks did for example. Not because I don't think Cotto can win a decision against Mayorga, certainly I think he can but he always does his best work early in fights. Late in fights Cotto seems to fade a bit in the stamina department and from taking punishment it just wears him down. I think Cotto's best bet for THIS fight would be more to simply take it TO Mayorga. Show Mayorga that he's been in with the top guys lately and is a top fighter, that Mayorga is yesterdays news.

When I think of Mosley, DLH and Trinidad stopping Mayorga I see a lot of their success coming from having that kind of attitude; they went out there and threw punches with bad intentions looking to hurt the guy and break him down. They fought with controlled aggression as in they weren't sloppy but took it to him. I think it would be a mistake if Cotto just "came out and boxed" because I don't think that would get Mayorga's respect and begin to break him down. That style allows Mayorga to stay in the fight longer, giving him more confidence and extending Cotto into waters he has already proven he has trouble staying afloat in.

+Quote Post
JD
post Jan 19 2011, 11:28 AM
Post #6

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

People are going to think I am nuts - but I actually think Cotto's style gives Mayorga a pretty good chance.

+Quote Post
TheFonz
post Jan 19 2011, 11:31 AM
Post #7

Team BU fun boy that gets passed around...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,999

Mayorga looks sick and and out of shape in that picture.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Jan 19 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #8

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

QUOTE (JD @ Jan 19 2011, 11:28 AM) *
People are going to think I am nuts - but I actually think Cotto's style gives Mayorga a pretty good chance.

I agree with respect to the things Steward has been working on with Cotto... that's not the way to beat Mayorga.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Jan 19 2011, 04:29 PM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

i would have to go with cotto except for it is my opinion, and ive been saying this, a puncher has a chance against him... im not so sure he takes punches like he used to... if he does then he'll win but we know mayorga gonna give himself a chance to win... cotto will get hit... if mayorga even feels his punches are getting to cotto its conna be a long night for the pride of p.r how ever long it last...

+Quote Post
BoxingStill#1
post Jan 19 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 6,594

If Cotto has anything left he will undoubtedly win this fight.....Possibly by stoppage

However, if Cotto decides to throw caution to the wind and brawl there is a very good chance he will meet the canvas once again.

Stewart is going to make a huge difference in this fight,.. That's only if Cotto decides to listen

Rest assured, no matter what shape he's in, Mayorga will come to fight...

This post has been edited by BoxingStill#1: Jan 19 2011, 09:59 PM

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 07:15 PM