IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cotto -VS- Mayorga, Set for March 12th (tentatively)
Lil-lightsout
post Jan 19 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #11

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

If Mayorga comes in his best shape, I think we will have a nice little scrap on our hands. I favor Cotto in this one by decision, but I would not count Mayorga out, especially with his punch.

This should be fun.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thehype
post Jan 19 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #12

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Fuck it!

I'm rollin with Mayorga by SHOCKING TKO!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

+Quote Post
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post Jan 20 2011, 02:10 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 19 2011, 05:15 PM) *
Certainly Cotto should win. I agree with everyone that this fight is a good gauge for where Cotto is at.

Mayorga with the exception of the Forrest fights, which were a long time ago, doesn't beat top guys. The good news is that he doesn't lay down for them either. He's not the type of guy that gets blown out in a round or two. Against Trinidad, Mosley and DLH he stood in there and took a lot of firepower before getting stopped.

Mayorga has fought 2 fights above 160 and has a couple of inches on Cotto and like that picture suggests he's the naturally bigger guy. I actually think Cotto's boxer/puncher style Steward is working on is great generally speaking for Cotto, but possibly not great for this fight... I feel like that style is more training Cotto to plan on going the distance, and "if the KO comes it comes" type thing. I don't really see Cotto coming away with a decision against Mayorga like Spinks did for example. Not because I don't think Cotto can win a decision against Mayorga, certainly I think he can but he always does his best work early in fights. Late in fights Cotto seems to fade a bit in the stamina department and from taking punishment it just wears him down. I think Cotto's best bet for THIS fight would be more to simply take it TO Mayorga. Show Mayorga that he's been in with the top guys lately and is a top fighter, that Mayorga is yesterdays news.

When I think of Mosley, DLH and Trinidad stopping Mayorga I see a lot of their success coming from having that kind of attitude; they went out there and threw punches with bad intentions looking to hurt the guy and break him down. They fought with controlled aggression as in they weren't sloppy but took it to him. I think it would be a mistake if Cotto just "came out and boxed" because I don't think that would get Mayorga's respect and begin to break him down. That style allows Mayorga to stay in the fight longer, giving him more confidence and extending Cotto into waters he has already proven he has trouble staying afloat in.

Good look into the fight, I specially agree with the bolded part. Both losses to Cotto have been by fighters who are very physical, busy and aggressive fighters and although Mayorga may not be as good as Pac or as fresh as Margarito at the time..he is probably the biggest and most unpredictable out of the two. I think it's a perfect style to see where Cotto is and how he may fair in a rematch with Margs but because of that very reason I feel it's dangerous how this is supposed to lead to Margarito rematch. If I was Cotto/or the people around him I wouldn't be so sure of getting past Mayorga as a tune up to set up a bigger fight down the line!

Cotto will have to stand and trade eventually against a fighter like Mayorga and when he does he should go to the body to slow him down before he gases out himself. I'm expecting excitement from today till the post fight presser as Cotto has one of the most exciting fighters and Mayorga is one of the best trash talkers and brawlers. I believe both may take a trip to the canvas and the fight will end before the final bell.

COTTO-MAYORGA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif)

+Quote Post
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post Jan 20 2011, 02:10 AM
Post #14

Guests

This post has been edited by ViperSniper: Jan 20 2011, 02:11 AM

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Jan 20 2011, 02:55 AM
Post #15

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 19 2011, 09:38 PM) *
Fuck it!

I'm rollin with Mayorga by SHOCKING TKO!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

im feeling it too ben... mayorga did just a few fights back fight on even terms with a mosley that people would go on to consider one of the best welters in the world for a brief time... and if cotto comes out trying to box with mayorga... well we saw what he did to forrest... you got to man him up and im not sure cotto has the nuts to get in there anymore like that... you got to buck up to him like vargas and hoya... if you dont he wont respect you... this is actually an intriguing fight.....

This post has been edited by JLUVBABY: Jan 20 2011, 03:02 AM

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Jan 20 2011, 06:43 AM
Post #16

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

So much for Mayorga talking less smack like someone suggested he might during the promotion of this fight, lol. He's his usual self for sure.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Jan 20 2011, 07:34 AM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 20 2011, 07:43 AM) *
So much for Mayorga talking less smack like someone suggested he might during the promotion of this fight, lol. He's his usual self for sure.

Yeah I got that wrong and happily so. I love it when Ricardo goes supernova at those press conferences. Boxing needs more characters like him.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Jan 20 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 19 2011, 12:15 PM) *
When I think of Mosley, DLH and Trinidad stopping Mayorga I see a lot of their success coming from having that kind of attitude; they went out there and threw punches with bad intentions looking to hurt the guy and break him down. They fought with controlled aggression as in they weren't sloppy but took it to him. I think it would be a mistake if Cotto just "came out and boxed" because I don't think that would get Mayorga's respect and begin to break him down. That style allows Mayorga to stay in the fight longer, giving him more confidence and extending Cotto into waters he has already proven he has trouble staying afloat in.

I agree with that, but I would also add that DLH, Tito, and Mosley are all bigger punchers with longer arms than Cotto. Cotto is going to have to get inside and throw combos with hard body shots early (which he's fast enough to do given Mayorga's wide as hell punches). The question is: how many times does Cotto get caught with a huge right hand coming in? And how spent is he after Pac and Marg?

My guess is that Cotto will win the first 6 rounds fairly easily and that Mayorga will be coming on strong in the late rounds.

Fuck it, I'm with Hype! I'm taking Mayorga by ko in the 11th.

This post has been edited by salvador: Jan 20 2011, 08:13 AM

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Jan 20 2011, 08:11 AM
Post #19

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

I can't help but be a little bit excited for this fight too. Mayorga's always been the perfect foil for the elite guys.

My early pick is Cotto by KO from a single body shot sometime between rounds 5-8. I think it will be an entertaining back and forth battle up until that moment.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Jan 20 2011, 08:20 AM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

I just put $100 Mayorga at +600 - just too good to pass on.

The thing is, for another hundred I could win enough to pay for the trip out to Vegas. I have to believe that these odds are going to shrink. It's not like Cotto looked particularly tough in his fight with the overrated/feather fisted Foreman. And I can't get the image of Cotto quitting against Marg out of my head. And the Pac fight had to have taken whatever confidence Cotto had left.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 12:18 AM