IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HBO@10PM(ET), 9PM(CT), 7(PT): Bradley vs. Alexander, SPOILERS 15 Minutes Later: No Duplicate Threads or Public Streams
Jack 1000
post Jan 31 2011, 02:00 PM
Post #101

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Hops @ Jan 31 2011, 06:37 AM) *
So, we have promoters who made the right move and pit two top American fighters together.

Am I wrong in thinking that the styles of boxers have more to do with boxing dying than greedy promoters like Arum?

I don't know. But the correct call was made in doing this unification fight. The promoter and matchmaker can't help it if a fight comes out "average." Spinks-Braxton was supposed to be great in 1983, turned into a chess match, the same with most of Hagler-Duran. At least the unifications are happening and boxing culminating to unify the belts is what this sport needs.

We are seeing fighters with less killer instinct than in the past, and fighters who would rather cruise to an easy decision rather than go for a KO. Sometimes, especially fighters who are fighting in the other guys backyard and they DON'T just go out there and try for a KO in the last round, than act so fucking surprised when a close decision goes against them.

You want boxing action? General public fans want KO's. They want wars. No disrespect intended to the great boxing legends, such as Pep, Whitaker and Ali. (Ali was a master showmen, but I think that many of his fights were not that exciting.) His greatest war was Frazier III.

People want KO's and vicious action: Chacon, Gomez, Pryor, Arguello, Gatti, Ward, Morales. There is nothing wrong with masterful boxing. Nothing at all. However, let's be honest. Tactical boxing matches with say Mayweather W. 12, W.12. W.12. W.12 just don't sell tickets to the general public. The reason why Mayweather-Pacquio is the biggest little fight out there, is because people want to see Mayweather in a war, In a pressure situation. And also to see Floyd get his ass kicked.

Two ring technicians together, just does not get general populations excited about boxing. You almost have to have one guaranteed brawler, or two guaranteed brawlers, or have one or two fighters meeting together as Olympic darlings or master showmen (Ali, Leonard.) Or a long-standing bitter hatred that the fighters have for each other and they actually produce great fights, knowing with a reasonable degree of certainty, when they meet in the ring, sparks are almost certain to fly.

Lately instead of getting two warriors together, boxing has been getting two Michael Nunns together! LOL! And that type of "ring generalship" is never going to generate interest.

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Jan 31 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #102

ON the edge

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 240

Alexander didn't look at all impressive. The fight was decent in my view but not one I'll ever revisit. Bradley did his thing and his focus and determination was light years above Alexander. I remember somewhere mid fight Steward said "I'm looking into both of these fighters eyes, and both look incredibly focused" or something... and I was thinking to myself that Alexander didn't look half as focused as Bradley.

Not sure what to say about the head butts. Yeah Bradley's opponents get butted a lot, but what can you do about it? That's his style. They are unintentional. Can a guy get points deducted for unintentional butts? Intentional sure, but unintentional even if they happen often due to a certain style? Holyfield's name has been brought up several times in this thread as a guy who was known for unintentionally butting his opponents rather often... I don't recall him losing points for butts throughout his career. I'm not really sure what the solution is to that issue.

Oh, and what's up with Gary Shaw's method of watching the fight? I'm not at all talking about him not sitting ringside, that's fine with me... but with technology today and the money he has you'd think the LEAST he could do is watch it in HD on a nice, big 50-70" screen. The dude was sitting 3 feet away from what appeared to be a 19-21" monitor thats function would be better served as a door stop.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Jan 31 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #103

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (Hops @ Jan 31 2011, 06:37 AM) *
So, we have promoters who made the right move and pit two top American fighters together.

Am I wrong in thinking that the styles of boxers have more to do with boxing dying than greedy promoters like Arum?

i wouldnt say styles of boxers have anything to do with boxing dying.... if that was the case a fighter like what lil floyd has become wouldnt draw and fans and he fills arenas.... It's all about how your style meshes with another fighters style and in this case it just wasnt a very good style matchup one and 2 devon just wsnt ready for the big stage like loudmouth cunningham insisted he was... what kills the sport is and always will be the promoters and their greedy agendas... when you have an a level fighter and you continuoslly put them in with faded champions and shot fighters you will start to get backlash after a while (as is the case with pac right now).. thats an example of a greedy promoter... and whats funny i was reading last night and arum is quoted as saying if bradley is a free agent and willing to "fight for him"... lol... he would instantly enter the manny pac sweepstakes (i coulda heard him say it on youtube but it was one of the two).. why would bradley HAVE to fight for arum to get a shot?... lol... thats what hurting the sport.... certain fights we wont see cuzz promoters dont want to risk their investments.... i'm glad i was able to see the last of the good days when fighters actually fought each other for the pride of who was actually best thats all imma say on that...

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jan 31 2011, 03:56 PM
Post #104

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (Hops @ Jan 31 2011, 07:37 AM) *

Why would the same styles be popular before but not now? The problem is that fighters are being brought along slow and protected too much, too many PPVs, and most PPVs have shitty undercards and sometimes a sparring session main event so casual fans feel like it's a waste of money.

i guess it depends on who you talk to really. the older guys i know that grew up on the 50s-60s boxing don't like it today because of all the belts and bullshit with fighters not wanting to go out and take titles, the casual fans I know tend not to want the PPVs because they ordered a shitty one and don't want to get suckered again.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Jan 31 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #105

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 1,333

I think some Mayweather fights could be seen as boring because he tends to dominate most of them, but for me some of them were entertaining. The Corrales fight was a masterpiece, the Hatton fight was a nice breakdown of an inside fighter. I think most casual fans are dazzled by his speed even if some of us think the fight is boring.

Pacquiao, the biggest name in boxing, is not boring so that's good. We have up and coming Brandon Rios who appears to be an all action guy. We have Alfredo Angulo, Carl Froch tends to be entertaining, Andre Berto dazzles with his speed, Marcos Maidana is a crazy fucker, so is Katsidis, and many others are exciting as well. So I don't agree that styles are bringing boxing down.

+Quote Post
Tha Docta
post Jan 31 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #106

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,774

alexander should be ashamed of himself for quitting in the biggest fight of his career. ive never seen a guy get butted on the opposite side as his cut and get the fight stopped. his heart pumps coolaid and he has about as much toughness as hector camacho jr.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Jan 31 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #107

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (Tha Docta @ Jan 31 2011, 03:10 PM) *
alexander should be ashamed of himself for quitting in the biggest fight of his career. ive never seen a guy get butted on the opposite side as his cut and get the fight stopped. his heart pumps coolaid and he has about as much toughness as hector camacho jr.

that about sums him up... lol... the biggest stage of his career and he opts out... IF he was really that bad off he should have given himself the 5 minutes im sure they would have gave him... personally i thought it was bout to go down as a tko... even the doc told him if he didnt open his eye he was gonna stop it... i took that as a tko... these guys are in the hurt business... damn... marciano fought ezzard charles with half his nose hanging off and went on to win... larry holmes fought norton with a torn bicep going into the fight and went 15 hard rounds and one... these fighters today are soft.... harry wills fought the last few years of his career legally blind in one eye, and kicked a lot of ass in the process... just saying... it burns me up to see these fighters wiggle out of these fights...

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jan 31 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #108

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 31 2011, 04:33 PM) *
that about sums him up... lol... the biggest stage of his career and he opts out... IF he was really that bad off he should have given himself the 5 minutes im sure they would have gave him... personally i thought it was bout to go down as a tko... even the doc told him if he didnt open his eye he was gonna stop it... i took that as a tko... these guys are in the hurt business... damn... marciano fought ezzard charles with half his nose hanging off and went on to win... larry holmes fought norton with a torn bicep going into the fight and went 15 hard rounds and one... these fighters today are soft.... harry wills fought the last few years of his career legally blind in one eye, and kicked a lot of ass in the process... just saying... it burns me up to see these fighters wiggle out of these fights...

the ringside doc was saying if you can't keep his eyes open he's calling the fight. if Alexander still wasn't opening them after the fight was called i wouldn't care, it seemed like he'd leave both open for a little while then close them again though. if your eye got fucked up that bad it's not just going to magically heal lol.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Jan 31 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #109

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 31 2011, 03:50 PM) *
the ringside doc was saying if you can't keep his eyes open he's calling the fight. if Alexander still wasn't opening them after the fight was called i wouldn't care, it seemed like he'd leave both open for a little while then close them again though. if your eye got fucked up that bad it's not just going to magically heal lol.

i would like to agree with you but the eye that had just gotten butted, by a butt devon caused by the way, wasnt the eye he all of a sudden complained about... thats the problem here gravy....

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Jan 31 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #110

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 31 2011, 04:54 PM) *
i would like to agree with you but the eye that had just gotten butted, by a butt devon caused by the way, wasnt the eye he all of a sudden complained about... thats the problem here gravy....

the only eye i remember him complaining about was the one that got butted the last time. they just had it wrong saying it's the cut eye. unless he got a broken orbital or some shit i think he just milked it and acted a lot more hurt than he really was when the doc was talking about stopping it, i know Bradley would have been like "fuck that, give me my 5 mins"

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 11:52 PM