Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bones Jones vs Shogun
AussieLad
post Mar 11 2011, 05:40 AM
Post #1

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

So, i am interested to hear peoples opinions on Bones Jones vs Shogun, particularly Warlords given he is a huge fan of shoguns from pride days.

Jones represents a big test for anyone. Thats guy is punching well above his weight in terms of actual experience. He is doing phenomenally well. But this could be one of those moments when the young guy on a tear and looking unstoppable comes to grief when he reaches the highest levels too quickly, suddenly realizing how deep the water are all of a sudden.

Much like Machida looking the goods before he met shogun, before meeting someone capable of making the necessary adjustments. Machida really did look a winner. If he was in against a dangerous fighter, he could ghost most guys and take an easy decision with his elusive movements. And he was capable of stopping guys if he commited to his counters, and putting weight into his straight leads. I really thought he was too elusive for the rest of the current division and looking at a good run as champ, then he finds himself staring at shogun and the shit hits the fan.

That being said, i think Jones will be a tougher fight for shogun than the Machida fights. The guy is a specimen.

This post has been edited by AussieLad: Mar 11 2011, 05:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Mar 11 2011, 09:18 AM
Post #2

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

Good one, Aussie...I don't like to say fights are a pick 'em, but I believe that's the case here...

My gut is Jones will get the W in a close one (with Politics possibly rearing its head), but Shogun's experience can't be denied...the latter might take it to him straight up the middle and break him from the inside out...

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Mar 11 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

Shogun is great and I rooted for him in both fights against the over hyped Machida. However I think Bones takes this one on pure athleticism and maybe a gift from the judges. The UFC sees dollar signs when they look at Jones and they want that kid to have the belt.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Mar 11 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,319

Man i can't waite for this one arguably the two best LHW going at it. Im rooting for Shgoun all the way and i hope he wins but my gut tells me Jones is gonna take it but i hope im wrong.

I wanna see Anderson take the title from Shogun first. LOL

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post Mar 12 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

I want to go with Jones but back to back training camps could be tough. Even for someone as young as bones is. I would be more confident if this fight was in the summer.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Mar 12 2011, 03:40 AM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,313

The first and most important factor in this fight is how is Shogun going to be coming off a third knee surgery? The first time he got choked out by Griffin, the second time he struggled with Coleman in their rematch...

And now?

A healthy Shogun mauls Jon Jones, no questions asked. But Shogun hasn't been healthy since Pride folded. Hell, he went into the Machida rematch fresh off having his appendix taken out. And I mean fresh. It was a week, I believe. That shit is not even imaginable to me.

For Jones's part, he's admitted in recent interviews that he's having confidence problems. We also know he's not had a break in camps since training for Bader. He's running a huge risk of peaking too early or too late. But the bigger risk is coming into the fight under-experienced and nervous. That's a recipe for an epic dismantling in front of thousands.

My own feeling is that Shogun should and will walk away having embarrassed Jon Jones. This is the outcome if both men come in at their absolute best. If Shogun comes in anything less, then anything can happen.

(IMG:http://www.mmaconvert.com/wp-content/uploads/post-images/shogun_jones_epic.jpg)

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Mar 12 2011, 03:42 AM
Post #7

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Mar 11 2011, 10:06 AM) *
Man i can't waite for this one arguably the two best LHW going at it. Im rooting for Shgoun all the way and i hope he wins but my gut tells me Jones is gonna take it but i hope im wrong.

I wanna see Anderson take the title from Shogun first. LOL

Won't happen. Anderson's too busy trying to fight overblown welterweights. He doesn't want anything to do with a real champion at 205.

Winning.

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Mar 12 2011, 06:19 AM
Post #8

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

Where does Jones want this fight, on the feet or on the ground?

The dudes freakishly long limbs mean he's dangerous anywhere. The reach for standup, long arms for sinking chokes and for striking from the mount (punches and elbows, like the illegal blow he landed on Hammil lol)

I have a feeling that he is going to take this, despite Shoguns experience. This is purely gut feeling, if i had to make a call, so i wont be at all surprised if i am completely wrong. On paper, he should get broken down by a guy of shoguns pedigree and ability. I think his gameplan will be to get this to the ground. Athleticism alone isnt going to get him past the stand up game from an in-form shogun, assuming he is healthy. He needs to be on the ground in a dominant position on top

I dont think the back to back camps are going to cause Jones problems. He's a young guy and will be able to deal with it. So long as he is smart, and merely tries to maintain conditioning whilst focusing more on the gameplan

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Mar 12 2011, 09:31 AM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 12 2011, 06:19 AM) *
Where does Jones want this fight, on the feet or on the ground?

The dudes freakishly long limbs mean he's dangerous anywhere. The reach for standup, long arms for sinking chokes and for striking from the mount (punches and elbows, like the illegal blow he landed on Hammil lol)

I have a feeling that he is going to take this, despite Shoguns experience. This is purely gut feeling, if i had to make a call, so i wont be at all surprised if i am completely wrong. On paper, he should get broken down by a guy of shoguns pedigree and ability. I think his gameplan will be to get this to the ground. Athleticism alone isnt going to get him past the stand up game from an in-form shogun, assuming he is healthy. He needs to be on the ground in a dominant position on top

I dont think the back to back camps are going to cause Jones problems. He's a young guy and will be able to deal with it. So long as he is smart, and merely tries to maintain conditioning whilst focusing more on the gameplan

Jones wants it on the ground. He's got good throws from the clinch which will give Shogun problems, and he's got wicked elbows from the mount.

Standing up with Shogun is a disaster waiting to happen. Jones has freakish reach but average power. He can't get into a firefight with Shogun and walk away. If he wins this fight it's from the mount in round 3, 4, or 5. But Jones has never gone 5, and Shogun has. Could he go late with someone like Shogun?

So many variables in this fight, but if Shogun comes in shape and healthy, they all mean nothing, because he will win.

+Quote Post
JONdaCON817
post Mar 12 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #10

Welcome to the Dirty South

Member No.: 11,493

Everytime i see Jones i almost think he looks TOO LONG. but he works with his size well and is able to utilize his reach to his advantage... Shoguns an animal, i can only assume he'll rush Bones and try and get on the inside.. i picture this match up stayin on the feet. Ill be rooting for Shogun but im a Jones fan too so either way ill leave happy. ide like to also see Silva vs Jones.. thatd be interesting given the style match up.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:40 AM